FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Whoo? Whoo? Replica replicant Tyrell owl.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Whoo? Whoo? Replica replicant Tyrell owl. Reply with quote

Boredom brings about odd things. While onsessing over snake scales and neon dragons I decided to add owls to the replicant menagerie. Started checking out ebay for taxidermy owls and found that stuffed owls in the USA must be vintage and are sought after heavily by collectors of dead animals!
If you are in the UK it appears from ebay that you guys are rolling in taxidermy owls. For once overseas has an advantage with prop replicas.

Anyway. I threw $20 at the following replica owl. It's completely made of chicken feathers including the perch.

Currently I removed the glass eyes which were on long wires stuff into the styro body. I painted them orange rimmed with black. When I get the opportunity I will cast some resin ones with colored leds. I've removed owl from base and am sculpying some feet I can use to mout to a more Blade Runner like perch. Appears to me that with some fether rearranging and a touch of acrylic paints, I'll have a reasonable and cheap Tyrell owl.

Second image is of "Aztec" the owl used in Blade Runner.

[/img]

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...I could go for one of those too. They are amzingly expensive to find an authentic one and since the horned OWL is protected..probably Illegal. I have hoped also to find a taxidermy fish to make into a Cyborg/robotic fish like in the animoid mart.

I did find some Dragon Neon signs and posted my finds in the forums at BladeZone a while back. I also found a cool Tsing Tao dragon neon that was pretty expensive...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot that I used to have a plastic but realistic owl that used be perched on our barn, garage to keep birds out of our Garden. It fell off one windy day and I kept it in my room for years till I went to college and my grandparents cleaned out my room and tossed it. I loved that stupid owl Crying or Very sad ...that was more than 20 years ago too. yikes Shocked
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually a huge taxidermy collector, and yes, owls are probably the most sought after and most illegal bird to own in the US. Even if it is an antique! You must have paper work that proves it's age and how you acquired it. In most cases, it is illegal to buy an antique owl even with paper work. All species of owls are protected in this the US. No part of an owl is allowed. Not even a feather! A place I worked at wouldn't even sell owl pellets (owl vomit) in fear that he would get fined.

I see a lot of owls on ebay for sale. Very often you see ones from Russia. And even though they say it's not a problem to ship to the US, it's not true. Fish and Wildlife take importing of taxidermy very seriously. I have had many items held for a long time, just cause they weren't sure what it was.

FYI, if you see an owl of sale in the US, STAY AWAY FROM IT! very often, an eBay account that has been ceased by Fish and Wildlife will be used for bate auctions. They will take over the account and post obviously illegal items to catch unsuspecting buyers. If they catch you they will fine you, come to your house and take anything they "think" is illegal (and keep even what IS legal), and maybe even throw you in the clink!

It's very very lame...

That being said, I would LOVE to have a Great Horned Owl like the one in Blade Runner. They are massive, and stunning! I have seen a few in my years of working and living with Taxidermy. They are truly impressive beasts, stuffed or alive!

Jedirick, if you look around more, you can find Taxidermists that specialize in creating amazing replica birds. They are almost impossible to discern from the real thing. But more likely then not (depending on the bird) they are more expnsive then the real thing! But something like a Great horned Owl might be worth it!
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enero wrote:

Jedirick, if you look around more, you can find Taxidermists that specialize in creating amazing replica birds. They are almost impossible to discern from the real thing. But more likely then not (depending on the bird) they are more expnsive then the real thing! But something like a Great horned Owl might be worth it!

Actually I've taken steps in that direction. After seeing the chicken fether work on this little owl, I think I could replicate a great Horned myself.

Been looking around at body forms and eyes etc.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

I did find some Dragon Neon signs and posted my finds in the forums at BladeZone a while back. I also found a cool Tsing Tao dragon neon that was pretty expensive...

For some reason I can't pull up the thread. I get a sign-on screen whereas normally I can access the forum with no problem. Exclamation
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
enero wrote:

Actually I've taken steps in that direction. After seeing the chicken fether work on this little owl, I think I could replicate a great Horned myself.

Been looking around at body forms and eyes etc.

Try http://taxidermy.net/ you can find links and resources to EVERYTHING there! If you cant find a pre made horn owl form, someone on there can custome make one! and most likely very inexpensively!

Last edited by enero on Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
enero
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick, I forgot to add, and the one stop shop for basic taxidermy goodies is http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/

Their a bit expensive, but they are easy...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
andy wrote:

For some reason I can't pull up the thread. I get a sign-on screen whereas normally I can access the forum with no problem. Exclamation

It might be in a part that is not public access. I will try to repost some of it here...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a company that does custom neon with a Dragon Neon sign

and Pics...still not it but cool anyway..

a couple from rental places...

Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the beer signs.

What do youm guys figure the size is of the BR dragon neon.? i figure around 30" X 28" high or maybe as small as 24x25.

Been look for a neon guy here in town. He's a relic from the hippie generation. When he is straignt he can do some kick-ass neon work much more reasonable have the commercial sign guys. The trick is finding him and getting him sober long enough to complete the work.

Sign companies dharge by the foor in glass tubing and I figure the dragon has some serious length to it.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the beer signs.

What do youm guys figure the size is of the BR dragon neon.? i figure around 30" X 28" high or maybe as small as 24x25.

Been look for a neon guy here in town. He's a relic from the hippie generation. When he is straignt he can do some kick-ass neon work much more reasonable have the commercial sign guys. The trick is finding him and getting him sober long enough to complete the work.

Sign companies dharge by the foor in glass tubing and I figure the dragon has some serious length to it.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pic of dragon from movie...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: