FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
VK machine - tons of pics on this website
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: VK machine - tons of pics on this website Reply with quote

http://www.morpheus13.com/vk/

Pics of it being made, and movies of it working as well. Very bad ass.
jessejericho
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! When was this built, anyone know? Amazing stuff.

*edit* Actually it says "2000" at the bottom. Really surprised I've never seen this before...
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland,

Thanks for posthing that link. I'd seen this several years ago but could never find the pictures again.

I'm just blown away by this piece.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessejericho wrote:
Wow! When was this built, anyone know? Amazing stuff.

*edit* Actually it says "2000" at the bottom. Really surprised I've never seen this before...

That is because it will not become readily available until oh...2019! Laughing

I'm pretty sure there are at least two maybe three buildups floating around in various stages of near completion. Things surface from time to time but it is such a time consuming project I suspect there are some significant lapses in steady progress.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpheus13, is a good man! I will see if I can get him to post some information if possible.

It does look nice
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know, and Amish may be getting us this information, how big the base of the VK machine is? My rough estimate is about 11 inches across the front. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Have a better one.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted,

Morpheus13 just registered and will check in shortly from what I understand. It will be great to hear from him on this
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amish,

That is great news. Thanks mucho.

Morpheus13,

That is one heck of a VK machine. And welcome abord.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
morpheus13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry for taking so long getting to the party Smile

Yes, that would be the VK I built a loooong time ago for the very first Blade Runner-centric convention. I built it over a couple of weeks. Very last minute and somewhat rushed. Its not very accurate and I really wasnt aiming for it to be spot on. We just needed something to put in front of Morgan Paull as a prop to re-create his dialogue as given during Leon's interogation. The original request was to make a VK out of cardboard. I just couldnt bring myself to do that so I built up what you see in the pics.

It was built on the fly out of sheet styrene and acrylic with various greeblies. I used transparenies for the screens and backlit them with low voltage bulbs. The bellows is a series of interlocking vac-form shells that are tied together and go up and down with the aid of a small revolving motor. Lights and motor were powered by battery. I didnt have any special reference, just study of the DVD and LD and a few photos from books and magazines. I was happy with how it came out for what we were doing it for but it was never intended to be an accurate replica for sale or anything. I did sell it however to a collector some time in early 2000 and it was resold to another collector. That was the last I heard of it.

I started an accurate model some time after that and put it on hold until I could get more reference. I did later get what I was looking for Wink Im not sure what will come of it but hopefully one day BR prop collectors will have a highly accurate VK in their collections.

If anyone has anything they wanted to ask, I would be happy to answer to the best of my abiliy. Thanks for all the compliments!
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpheus13,

Welcome to the board. It's good to have you hear.

Thanks for filling us in on the build. I'd wondered about the greeblies on your model. They look fantastic. Just had always wondered if they were accurate.

Would you mind sharing with us the basic dimensions of the machine? Lenght and width of the overall machine would be helpful. I'm working on one and have guesstimated that the collapsed stalk with the eye scanner is about 10 inches long. (I've heard that a few are in production. Well, one specifically. I'd just like to build my own that captures the feel of the original.)

By the way, has anyone else heard the story that the original machine was put together at EEG in just a couple of days? Seems to me that one was built that Ridley didn't like or didn't work very well. So the model shop at EEG took over and built it.

Thanks for the help.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpheus13,

Please disreguard my request for measurements. I just read the thread over at the RPF in which you stated you didn't have plans. The pictures of your work are really helpful. Thanks for sharing them.

The best and most helpful thing you said was that you "just started building". And I think that's what I'm going to do.

All the best with everyone's attempts. I will post pictures here as I make progress.

Buckaroo Banzai
morpheus13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefect42 wrote:

Thanks for filling us in on the build. I'd wondered about the greeblies on your model. They look fantastic. Just had always wondered if they were accurate.

Nothing was really accurate on it. I tried to build the heart of it to be similar but all the fine details are just things I came up with that I thought looked good. For example, I knew there was that mass of wires o nthe back of the eye piece but I didnt have a good picture of it so I just did the best I could.

Prefect42 wrote:

Would you mind sharing with us the basic dimensions of the machine? Lenght and width of the overall machine would be helpful. I'm working on one and have guesstimated that the collapsed stalk with the eye scanner is about 10 inches long. (I've heard that a few are in production. Well, one specifically. I'd just like to build my own that captures the feel of the original.)

I honestly can remember. the main body on that one was around 14 wide x 12 deep if I recall correctly. Sorry, but its been a long time.

Prefect42 wrote:

By the way, has anyone else heard the story that the original machine was put together at EEG in just a couple of days? Seems to me that one was built that Ridley didn't like or didn't work very well. So the model shop at EEG took over and built it.

Yep, Ive been told about that. The reasons for the rebuild are varied but I know that the redo was done over a weekend after filming started. Ive also never heard any stories about when the second version was made for close-ups. As far as my research goes, the original small monitor version was sacrificed to make the close-up version.

I wish I could be of more help. Actually I think its funny how little I know about something I built Laughing If i think of anything else that can help you guys I will surely pass it along.
Prefect42
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morpheus13,

Those measurements help a great deal. Thanks for sharing them.

As for not remembering too much, well, I have trouble remembering what I did a week ago.

Anyone else have any stories about this amazing prop? The movie seems to be crammed full of details that are sketchy at best without really digging.

Ted.
Prefect42.

Buckaroo Banzai
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone out there followed up on this?
I have heard rumours for a very LONG time that someone was going to create these and offer them for sale but is that all they are, rumours?

I can't believe NOBODY has followed up on this!? Confused
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is even interested in this...WOW...I'm floored here.
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
Nobody is even interested in this...WOW...I'm floored here.

I think a VK replica will be very interesting for me and other collectors. It's a unique piece from the movie (like ESPER machine). Thus, if anybody is planning to produce some good replicas of this machine, I'll be very interested!!!

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested too if one of these would be "mass" produced someday !

Cool
lethal1973
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in for a couple!
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the spirit! I figured there had to be at least a few BR Fan's out there who were still interested in the VK!
Now that the HD version of the film is out we should be able to come up with some detailed measurements. Or maybe someone already knows them and will share?
aerodyne
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always thought that fun toy would be a VK unit with one of those Logitech 'face-tracking' webcam balls stripped down to a bare minimum and fitted in place of the scanner.

Hooked up to a PC with a bit of fiddling with internal video stream redirection and processing (courtesy of ffdshow) and you could drive the screen on the VK unit itself via a TV-out or 2nd monitor output. Actually, you could assemble an HTPC in a VK unit if you used a mini-ITX board or smaller...

Fanless operation, silent 2.5" SSD, but actively-cooled via the VK bellows. Too many ideas, too little time. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: