FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Correct Blueing shades?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Correct Blueing shades? Reply with quote

I'm sure I'm seeing different shades. I've made a guide covering some of the main areas. what do you guys think?

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me Beast. I know that for certain people the different shades might be hard to see, but overall it adds to the look. Very good job as usual
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add that even though painted, the outer grip frame would be polished aluminum as well.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Blueing shades? Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
I'm sure I'm seeing different shades. I've made a guide covering some of the main areas. what do you guys think?

Is this the Tomenosuke blaster you are using for reference? It is still not quite the same as the Worldcon. The barrel and the Steyr receiver do not match from what I can tell. much of the bluing differences seem to come from the fact that the pieces are made from different guns and different raw materials.

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just using it for image ref for now Wink

you know I saw that diagram clutch and totaly forgot about it! thanks for posting it back up.

to me the barrel looks exactly the same shade as the receiver cover. are there any images where it clearly sticks out as being lighter?
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree. Definitely the same. There are however some of Karl's pictures where the light is catching the rear part making it appear a little different.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my B and C are bass ackwards now. lol!

On the '81 pics, the triggers look black with worn areas?! Is this right?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like different bluing agents were used on the different guns, giving the Steyr a cooler shade of steel (almost purple), and the Bulldog a warmer shade. This is even more true with the barrel that might just be an amount of rust adding to the color. There also seems to be some gun oil on some of the parts that make them even darker. Another thing to consider is direction of the surface finish(microscopic grooves from tooling and sanding), that when going in different directions will change the color depending on lighting direction.

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hope you dont mind me linking your hosted image karl:

the barrel definately seems lighter in this pic. what do you reackon guys?
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great pic fomr Karl Very Happy
Yep, barrel looks lighter to me aswell.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out if the bullet chamber is infact darker than the frame and triggers. what does everybody else think?

Also, I cant help thinking the bulldog handle is also a darker blueing and not black paint. The bare metal wear around its edges in karls pics look more like naturaly worn off blueing rather than deliberately sanded off or chipped paint.

I believe the triggers were also a dark blueing shade as traces of it can still be seen in 2006 and the 1981 pics show a simular effect on the triggers as what I mentioned about the handle.

maybe now those grips are a bit clearer, eltee can have a clearer view and tell us what he thinks, as I think PIH wouldnt allow the grips to be taken off Wink
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bulldog handles are made out of aluminum, at least they are now.

So it is probably painted.

BeastMaster wrote:
I'm trying to figure out if the bullet chamber is infact darker than the frame and triggers. what does everybody else think?

Also, I cant help thinking the bulldog handle is also a darker blueing and not black paint. The bare metal wear around its edges in karls pics look more like naturaly worn off blueing rather than deliberately sanded off or chipped paint.

I believe the triggers were also a dark blueing shade as traces of it can still be seen in 2006 and the 1981 pics show a simular effect on the triggers as what I mentioned about the handle.

maybe now those grips are a bit clearer, eltee can have a clearer view and tell us what he thinks, as I think PIH wouldnt allow the grips to be taken off Wink
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that would make sense if it was kept the bare alluminium. though if it was blackened or blued originaly then it makes sense to keep it that way and not paint it. though are any of these models painted? or blued / blackened?

http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=887&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grip frame (handle), is in 2 parts, and inner and outer frame. The inner frame is also aluminum and blackened (or anodized). The outer frame looks painted and then ground down instead of worn.

I think the original bull dog was blued and aged to wear down the bluing, or darkened with age and use in bare steel (oiled at least). The steyr still retains an amount of bluing you can tell by the lighter color of the edges. It is no where near as dark as the original Bluing would have made it though.

The Steyr Bullet chamber is black plastic, The Bulldog bullet chamber(cylinder) looks to be the same color as the rest of the bulldog. Darkened and naturally worn. The same for the triggers. The inner Bulldog grip frame would have been protected by the grips and not worn down as much, and is most likely darker because of that. It has edge wear from the grips themselves or handling during the modification of it. It is also possible they thought about making it match the rest of the guns finish.

The buttplate is possibly aluminum, but it also seems like it could be stainless when someone on the RPF did a color test and comparison with other metals.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: