USCSS Nostromo - Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of questions! Cool, this is a discussion thread after all

The Bridge and Narcissus Set...
Well from what we've managed to find out so far, is that the Engine Room set may have been built using the Infirmary/Autodoc set, redressed using parts from the Bridge. On the image below showing the blueprint of the Engine Room the title at the top says 'Revamp of Autodoc', and the layout of the perimeter walls, the door location and the window next to the door seems to support that.

Note the bulkhead on the ceiling above where Kane is laying, and the large 'column' that the moving bed platform he's laying on and pivots on, and compare them to the engine room shot; heavily re-dressed but they are there. Chances are, if they redressed the Autodoc set, they redressed the corridor just outside too.

As for the Narcissus and where the set here fits into the overall scheme of things; I don't feel that the Bridge was reused for the Narcissus, rather that the Narcissus was a new set built for shooting, and dressed using parts from the Bridge, Engine Room and wall set dressing Ash's Blister room.
These overlays may or may not help in terms of scale...sorry for the poor quality images, they are the only ones I have.

The Bridge...

Now with the Narcissus plan overlaid, and this is assuming the distance between Kane and Lambert's seats are the same distance apart as the two cockpit seats in the Narcissus...

I'll add more sometime tomorrow... if anyone else has thoughts on this though, doesn't matter if they are opposite to mine... post 'em!
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the corridor set leading upto the Narcissus; you are correct, it is a mess, and I don't have a friggin' clue how to sort it out
The scene where Lambert and Parker splits with Ripley to go fetch the oxygen cylinders; they descend a ladder in the corridor directly behind the Narcissus... which if viewed from outside the ship, means they descend out into open space! Doesn't make sense. But that's the thing.... I'm sure nobody working on the film would have thought an ALIEN geek such as myself would think about this stuff in this much detail.
So in other words, getting around this kind of stuff, will take alot of figuring out when working on interior plans. But I'm confident it can be done.
Oh here's another for ya.... we all know the autodoc is on Deck A... but where does Ripley come from when she descends the ladder to the corridor where she gets slapped by Lambert for wanting to leave them out in the airlock in quarantine? Haven't a clue! Confused There's tonnes of other cool stuff to this ship I bet that isn't explored in the movie.

Airlock & Ash's Blister.
I know what you mean about the actors walking directly into the ship from the Airlock Elevator, into the Airlock then into the hexagonal room within the ship and it all being level... the trouble was when looking at the side view of the Nostromo, and the space around the forward landing leg... there just wasn't the room. The bottom of the hull slopes up at the front infront of the forward landing leg so that proved a real conundrum. In keeping with the idea that the forward section of the ship would be the main habitable space, I went with Stuart Rose's sketch for Alien elsewhere in this thread. I think it's a great idea and to me makes sense to have the airlock chamber itself act as a large elevator moving up to Deck C. (Note that the Airlock Chamber Housing itself, doesn't; it's kind of like the bottom of an elevator shaft and stays where it is). It looked right and tied in with some of the detailing on the models made for the movie, whilst tying in with the exterior set design where the airlock seems to be much lower than the rest of the ship in comparison to the landing leg. I have an idea for how they get Kane upto the Infirmary but that's for another day.

The problem with Kane's body flying out the airlock you mention.... easy, different airlock. Highly doubt there'd be only one airlock for the entire ship. Same as there being somewhere large exterior cargo doors to get the mining / survey equipment and the Helicopter that Ron Cobb designed in and out.

Ash's Blister is for me one of the most tricky parts. We've had Jon Sorenson (he helped detail the Nostromo models) confirm where it is, but I don't know whether Jon's recollection of it is from when the yellow Nostromo was detailed, or the gray model that was re-detailed. If it's the gray one, I'm screwed well no I'm not, but I'll have to think of something. There's several details on the models that don't match the full size sets, but that's just the way it (and filmaking) is.

If we were Star Trek fans, or even Star Wars fans, heck we'd find books and books of this stuff. But I want to be an Alien fan, because, well, it's great.
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
As for the corridor set leading upto the Narcissus; you are correct, it is a mess, and I don't have a friggin' clue how to sort it out

I am in the process of working on a fan edit of ALIEN similar to what a person by the name of Adywan has done with STAR WARS (located here: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/STAR-WARS-EP-IV-2004-REVISITED-ADYWAN-DVD-9-VERSIONS-NOW-AVAILABLE/topic/5942).

Here is the link to what I intend with my edit: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/ALIEN-REVISITED-movie-edit/topic/10458.

What I might have to do is simply "flip" the shot so it would appear that Ripley is coming up from a ladder well from the main body and heading out across the attachment to the Narcissus. That or add another layer/level on the lower edges of the Narcissus "garage".

Regardless, I think that is just one of those movie goofs that you can't get around. Same with the discrepancy between the bridge size compared to the Narcissus shots underneath the port "wing".

Quote:
The problem with Kane's body flying out the airlock you mention.... easy, different airlock. Highly doubt there'd be only one airlock for the entire ship. Same as there being somewhere large exterior cargo doors to get the mining / survey equipment and the Helicopter that Ron Cobb designed in and out.

True. I'm sure they would have something along the side for deep space docking. I would still place Ash's blister near the front landing leg just due to proximity to the forward living pod. Now where it would actually fit is a tough one. The box area on the first step in the earlier pictures in this thread is a good place to consider, but when the landing gear is down, the landing leg doors would cover it completely.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Monroville...good project to tackle! Might take a life-time but that's where the fun lies
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
True. I'm sure they would have something along the side for deep space docking. I would still place Ash's blister near the front landing leg just due to proximity to the forward living pod. Now where it would actually fit is a tough one. The box area on the first step in the earlier pictures in this thread is a good place to consider, but when the landing gear is down, the landing leg doors would cover it completely.

Well there is another continuity problem with the landing leg doors on the model in comparison to the full size set; if you compare the orientation of the 'feet' to the doors on the model as opposed to the Undercarraige Room set where Brett gets killed and the Exterior full size set where Dallas, Kane, Lambert are lowered down, you'll see that they are different on plan by 45 degrees. So on doing the blueprints, I have to do a balancing act between the two, or just make a decision on which to go with. I think I would wet myself if I saw the set blueprints to the Nostromo.

furystorm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the "Undercarriage Room" is built on the diagonal within the ship for this front landing gear! Or perhaps the gear rotates by 45 degrees when dropping and locking into landing position. There really are so many conjectural possibilities. At any rate, whatever you come up with on your set of blue prints, both internal and external, looks like we will all win in the end. They look fantastic!

Please mark me down for a set if they are ever made available for purchase.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would agree with the 45 degree rotational theory. The bay doors Brett is walking on look pretty accurate, as far as the outside configuration is concerned. Actually I am very surprised they put so much thought into it. I can imagine the rotation has to do with the opening of the landing claws. or a likely possibility is that they would rotate depending on the terrain to provide the most stability.

This may be one of those situations where creative license is in order since we are delving deeper into functionality than anyone involved in the original film had time to consider. I say go for it Space Jockey..!
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have this idea where as the ship takes off, the landing claw ascends into the ship via the hydraulics, and I figure each one of those must be bloody heavy, so I thought what if once the undercarraige assembly is inside the ship, it then rotates the 45 degrees and 'locks' in position.....acting as some kind of failsafe mechanism so if the hydraulics fail and lose oil pressure, the turn and lock mechanism would prevent the leg just dropping, and smashing through the hull.... Shocked
I'm going for it man, I'm going for it....
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting theory guys, love the idea the landing claws would rotate to adapt to the terrain the ship lands on !

Fred
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another theory for the 45ยบ ... according to Ridley (and me) it just looked better and more visually interesting.

Plus yes, it makes more sense if you turn the cross of the feet to an x, as it provides more stability in rough terrains.

My 2 cents
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rotating landing gear looks better and better everytime I think of it...and it just make sense to have a fail-safe mechanism to lock it into place. Love it!
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get these ideas into the plans
May be more suitable to place it into the interior plans / sections when I get to do those, we'll see Cool

EDIT 12:30pm PST - I'm pleased to say that the Plan, Starboard and Port views are now complete pending any final minor amendments. Now working on the Bow, Stern with the hull underside coming last. Cool
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, I am detailing the "boxes" on the docking module, and reassemble..

show us the pics when you are ready!
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: ** Can you "subscribe" to a thread on PropSummit? Reply with quote

Over at ORIGINALTRILOGY.COM, you can subscribe to a thread so you can keep track of all of the threads you are interested in, much less delete the time it would take to search for each thread over and over again.

Does PropSummit have that function? I do not notice it anywhere...
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the small parts remolded for re-assembly of the docking module, should have pics tomorrow PM! and then complete remold for the kit Friday after work!

I am not sure about the subscription here, but I will subscribe to the site you are on so I can see the progress of the Alien Revisited.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOOOOL! Staggered by how quickly you're getting this done!
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If II didnt have a day job, this thing would have been done two months agoand I would be building my 2 meter Nostromo Sad
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya, it's the same with the blueprints...don't forget though that for your personal 2 meter nostromo project I can hit a button and rescale the plans to suit whatever scale you want to build it at
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, that will save me from having to measure every panel. Thats my plan, I will be able to pre-cut panels directly from the blueprints.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two meter Nostromo Shocked ...you guys are insane...in a good way Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 6 of 39

Jump to: