FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
NEW CS&T Blaster by Richard Coyle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be what happened. I don't really know so your theory is as good as mine...

Personaly I think to make such a change and get it smooth again would require removing and using power sanders and then polishing to get it cleaned up as it is.

I still lean towards the removing of the black finish which could be done with steelwool or scotch bright pads and leave a smooth finish.

Rich

Last edited by racprops on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
airhead
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of comparison shots of the new CS&T with Rich's last pre-WorldCon plastic model. Some of the details that I hoped would show up were the triggers, the cut-out on the top of the backstrap, the overall grip changes, the shape of the trigger guard, the shape of the buttplate and profile of the grips, and whatever else shows up. You might be able to get a comparison of the new paint scheme with the old one - the "metallic" parts were much like the results of silver or chrome paint and the black parts were a semi-gloss finish. The new "metal" parts have a more varied appearance, as though a real metal surface that has undergone heat-treatment, perhaps. The black parts are still semi-gloss (my interpretation of the finish). Anyway, here they are:

Enjoy!

David

edit: Added img tags to pictures. I hope you didn't mind -Amish
jessejericho
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just about had a heart attack trying to get to the post office on time today, however I was rewarded with a nice heavy cardboard box. Barely able to contain my excitement, I tore it open like a kid on Christmas morning, and low and behold... the CS&T Blaster in all its glory. Just looking at it, you can tell that the proportions are right, everything is in its right place. It's a beautiful piece, and I am extremely pleased with it. Rich, you've done a man's job, sir!

Now.. I just need to keep telling myself "you don't need metal...." Very Happy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are we assuming the more rounded, oval grip plate was used on the hero gun, while the more squared off plate was only on the stunt blasters?

Any opinions on if it's the same plate modified? Do we know if maybe when they made the pinky dent they rounded it off more??

Just askin.

Njc--------------
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really seems my old butt plate was "Too Square"

Rich
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows how square your butt used to be. It's a good thing that got taken care of.

People were starting to stare.

Nick
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I thought the square butt plate it was very close to the stunt blasters . . . Shocked
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on the RPF to answer some questions, and thought I should do the same here.

Everyone has an idea of what they want.

Everyone has an idea of what they saw.

I am offering many options so you can have what you feel is the right gun.

The main point is the gun as found rusting and old looking vs. what many feel what it was like during the filming.

IF you want the rusting, wire showing, scuffed, with the screws in the ammo housing, the Weaver scope screw and the switch in the ammo clip, paint rubbed off the lower pistol frame and scratches on the butt plate, order that model.

IF you want a model with out rust and all the above then order that version.

IF you feel that the hidden “toothpick” switch is more real and may have been used early in filming and looks more real to you and the round head screw not the weaver scope screw and the hidden wires looks more real, then order that version of the model.

IF you want the model with out rust with just the hidden wires order it that way.

I only offer my interpretation as a real professional prop maker who worked for 12 years making real movie props as my opinion, but I offer all versions so you can get what YOU feel is right.

In fact what I am doing here is NOT forcing you to buy MY INTERPERATION I am offering to build YOURS!!!

All the gun parts have been redone to make it as accurate as possible.

These small details are minor detailing and paint finishes.

And upcoming changes will be upgradeable if any happen.

There will be no newer model, this is it.

I have spent months and lots of money making the best I can, if you not happy with it don’t order.

Rich
sycor
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to get a closer shot of the ON/OFF switch on the new model. It would help me decide which way I prefer.
airhead
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sycor,

Here's a comparison. That's Karl Tate's shot of the WC hero on top.

airhead

Hey, Andy, I finally got it right - thanks for the help with the pics.

db
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

This is one part of your post that I do not understand:

Racprops wrote:

And upcoming changes will be upgradeable if any happen.

There will be no newer model, this is it.

I guess, color me confused!

Are you going to be making changes, or not... or are any changes you make based upon what may be discovered in the future, or what you feel is appropriate to change based upon your experience.

Thanks!

Tom
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see another part that had to be redone.

On my old Ammo Clip I had the LEDs and their holders just pushed in.

Then I saw the real prop, where they had cut into the lower rib, so I have to redo the clip and cut into the lower rib and lower the LEDs.

If you had pulled back a little you would also see the little cresent moon mark on the Ammo Housing.

So I had to make a new ammo housing master so that was there again, I had sanded it off before in the master.

Rich
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not see any changes needed, but I am very close to the project, in fact a friend (Mark Anthony Graham) whom was asking about the screws in the housing showed me that they are set screws, so I learned something just the other day.

So IF any thing should happen and I make a change it will fit the current model and I will make it available to all owners.

Rich

Last edited by racprops on Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on that question:

“And upcoming changes will be upgradeable if any happen.

There will be no newer model, this is it.”

Was an answer to Brains committed on the RPF:

“bbabich:
A comment on this specific piece:

Rich creates the 'ultimate' version of the CSTXYZ PKD based off of the best reference available (the hero) and still details are blatantly left out??? I don't get it. I can understand the wires (or wire options... ect ect ect), but whatever 'reasoning' you have conjured, this CSTXYZ PKD is not the ultimate, but just another Coyle interpretation. Do people have to pay again for an 'ultimate' 8.2019910991a for the details to be true to the original?

Great, there are more options being offered by Coyle, but the thing is not the bill of goods that people were sold on. It might look nice, but if I paid $500 for the 'ultimate' I would be pretty ticked.

-Bryan”

With the old model I was doing changes as we learned more.

Now if I do something wrong or miss something there is no excuses, I have the pictures and it would be my fault, so I spent 4 or more months checking and fixing and redoing every part of this model.

There will be no new models no major changes. This IS the Finial Model.

And IF something should show up it will fit the current model and will be offered to all who want their model upgraded. (Other than paint finish)

His other implied complain is that I have not chosen to do only one model and it being the exacta copy of the gun as found, rusty and damaged and with the wires cut to the rod’s LEDs.

He seemed upset I am offering options and letting the buyer decide what he wants the gun to be. I am not sure what to make of that.

Most want the gun as it would (should) have looked during the filming and with the rods wires hidden as if they were a real gun not a prop.

And most feel the little screws in the ammo housing are some kind of fix to a prop and again would not be part of a real gun.

So we are at the age old problem, on the set prop VS. on the screen gun, IE: what we saw on the screen.

Often the portrayed prop is not the same as what we can see taken off the movie screen and looked at in the hard day light, and in some cases there are many models doing the work of one, to get all the action in, the guns in Judge Dredd are a case in point.

It took many guns to do that entire prop did, a real shooter, one to do the Double Whammy power head, one to light up ETC.

Rich
airhead
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent some time going back over Karl's WC photos and comparing the details to Rich's ultimate (Im agreeing with the use of the term) blaster. There's a minor dimension here or there that could have been slightly different, but I'm still of the opinion that it would hold up as a stand-in for the original, if one took the time to simulate the seeming neglect that the finish of the hero has undergone in the last decades. And I guess if I wanted to, I could do just that, but I like it the way that it is.

By the way, if anyone else receives theirs and they chose any of the other options that Rich offered, could they post a shot or two. I'd love to see how the others are turning out.

David
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Tom was asking about is if we ended up finding out more details about the gun such as internal details, and maybe some filming details with the upcoming big screen and HD releases, would you then still stand behind not making the changes? I agree that being able to offer options to details and finish is a good idea, because we all can't agree on that. Plus it will allow each of us to not have the same exact gun as the next guy. It is also one of those sticky situations that if you offer an "interpretation" of the gun most everybody will be happy with it, but by offering the "most accurate" you open yourself up to a lot of criticizm. It is part of the exposed nature of claiming to be the best. It is impossible to get it absolutely perfect, but that is what people expect from you. You are also catering to one of the most OCD groups of people known Smile
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time there is only one question I would want answered: Did they cut the cylinder rod so they could reload without removing the ammo housing, or did they have to remover the ammo housing to reload.

The cut wires maybe a hint.

I don’t think we need know WHY those screws are there only that they are.

And lastly my models will NOT fire blanks nor real loads.

Rich
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
Would a real Steyr mag fit in your replica?
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, to get it to stop in the correct place (slightly out) and to stay in place with out the real lock clip, I have to make some changes inside.

But out side it is a total copy. Even to the ½ moon mark.

It will, if you cut a housing up and make the changes to the rear section to match mine.

Of course you also have to cut the top off the clip so it will go all the way in. The barrel gets in the way.

Rich
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Thank you for trying to 'interpret' my post on another board, but you just don't' get where I am coming from.

I have held your pieces and with the BR blaster, even the new one, and still when you pull that trigger it has this horrible feeling that the entire model is about to snap from the stress. The assembly is still 'creaky,' the paint finish is poor with those metal flakes and despite all of the renditions of this piece and all of the feedback you have received over the years, you still have not improved on your fundamentals of prop replica making. I am not upset at all because I dodged the bullet of having ordered one of your pieces and have no intention of ever owning a 'Coyle' replica.

My actual comments in that thread were referring to the continual 'interpretation' of a piece that you call the 'ultimate' rendition of the blaster. You had the best reference possible and you ended up making just another interpretation. I guess if I were you I would not be running around telling people that I made the most accurate replica possible when 'interpretive' decisions have been made. Clearly we are different men.

So my comments in the thread were that I feel that too much 'interpretation' has taken place, Despite having your hands on the real deal and despite all of the time spent and all of the effort, your 'ultimate' is just another CSXYZ. I will be skeptical for a long time as to whether or not this is the 'final' version because we have all heard it before.

If I were the owner of the actual piece who allowed you to hold the piece and take measurements in good faith and you turned around and mass produced a piece dispute my objections, then I would be 'upset'.

If I were one of these good hard working people who paid approximately $500 for a Coyle and found out that the casting, paint-up ect. was being worked on by a 'helper' and not Coyle, then I would be 'upset'.

So, you have taken my kind critique and characterized it as 'upset' and that could not be further from the truth. One must be emotionally vested in such things to be 'upset'.

-Bryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: