FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Gaff's Origami(Chicken, Matchstick Man, Unicorn)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V3 looks like a promising candidate for KFC... those are definitely the meaty legs I want in my Variety Box Meal.

But seriously, excellent job nailing down the screen-accurate folds, Nexus6. That's no simple trick! As you suggested, a little more practice and the smaller details will become second nature.

Great work. I'm very impressed!

And I'm looking forward with great anticipation to your tutorial!

Bravo!
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I obviously didn't get the tutorial up, but I have been working on it (getting pix together, etc). I am very happy with my chicken model; however, from folding it over & over, I find that I don't like the rolling papers as media. The folds tend to NOT "hold", & it's mind-numbing to get the folds to - - - fold where you want them to.

By accident, I found a type of paper that I like MUCH better. It is thin & yet more rigid than the rolling papers. It is called "Thermal Paper" & it's used in a lot of modern cash registers as receipt tape. If you find the 3 1/8 in. wide tape, it will give you a chicken of the appropriate size (from my scrutiny of the screencaps). Anyway, I'm trying to find a source for this that doesn't involve buying a 10-pack (which I've calculated would be enough for 920 chickens). There may be better choices of media, but that is what I will use for mine.

In other news, I gave this a go this morning, & I'm totally happy with the results:

So far, it takes me about 20 minutes to make one, & I'm not sure I'll ever be any faster. The matchstick wood is VERY unforgiving.

And on a related note, I've found a hella-cool tutorial for the unicorn, but won't know if they're screen-accurate until I build one...

So yeah.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just tossed a bunch of receipt tape that did not go into our registers, I will have to measure it and grab it if it is right. If so I will send it along to you.

Andy
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
We just tossed a bunch of receipt tape that did not go into our registers, I will have to measure it and grab it if it is right. If so I will send it along to you.

Andy

Wow, thanks!

*fingers crossed*
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That matchstick man turned out great!!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the best mr matchstick I've seen so far! Smile did you cut his third leg from the back?

another chicken pic for ya *cough*tutorial*cough Laughing

temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
thats the best mr matchstick I've seen so far!

Same here! Excellent matching (no pun intended) of the proportions!

Screen-seen matchstick man on left, Nexus6 matchstick man on right:

Great job, Nexus6!

If there is a small modification I might suggest for the next incarnation, it would be to make his little matchstick man member originate from a spot just a bit higher up. On the screen-seen matchstick man, it seems to come from a spot about 2mm above the top of his legs.

Great work on the chicken, too! *cough*tutorial*cough Wink

Thanks, Pilot.
YoshioKun13

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many, many, many, MANY more attempts I think I've managed to make an origami chicken that's closer to the one seen in the film.

Thanks again to Nexus6 for the great hi-res image references, they were a big help.

I haven't tried to make one out of rizzla paper, yet. That's interesting because the one in the film does look like it's made out of something thinner and more transparent, most likely tobacco rolling paper since Gaff's a smoker and he was taking it out of an ashtray. Almost even looked like tissue to me.

I was thinking of trying tracing paper, which is similarly thin and transparent as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a good-looking bird, YoshioKun13! Shocked

Will you be sharing any tips with us, gleaned from your many, many, MANY attempts?
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YoshioKun13 wrote:
After many, many, many, MANY more attempts I think I've managed to make an origami chicken that's closer to the one seen in the film.

Thanks again to Nexus6 for the great hi-res image references, they were a big help.

I haven't tried to make one out of rizzla paper, yet. That's interesting because the one in the film does look like it's made out of something thinner and more transparent, most likely tobacco rolling paper since Gaff's a smoker and he was taking it out of an ashtray. Almost even looked like tissue to me.

I was thinking of trying tracing paper, which is similarly thin and transparent as well.

Good job!

It looks like your latest & my latest may be folded the same way. My tutorial got put on hold while I finished my last class (which was this past Friday).

I'll try to finish it up this weekend.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to nudge because I know you must be busy. But I am really excited to know that the remainder of your tutorial will be coming soon. Thanks, Nexus6!
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the rest of the tutorial aswell Smile
YoshioKun13

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
Will you be sharing any tips with us, gleaned from your many, many, MANY attempts?

I'd love to help you out once I get more free time to undertake such a task as a tutorial, but I honestly wouldn't know where to begin.

My method for making the chicken is so elaborate and complex with very many specific folds and cuts, I really don't believe most here would have the patience or find it worthwhile enough to even attempt. If you think doing the unicorn is challenging, this is like on a difficulty level that's ten-fold that of the unicorn!

All I can tell you is that I start out with the "bird base" that you use for the unicorn, crane, and many other animals. From then on, it's kind of a headache. It's worth noting that my techniques haven't changed since last time, other than folding the legs inside the body rather than on the outside. Every chicken I've made has been a little different, I just got lucky on that one for it to come out looking more like its movie counterpart than all the other ones.

But perhaps Nexus6 is right and our ways of folding aren't too dissimilar. I see that his tutorial has just been posted, can't wait to check it out to compare and contrast his methods with mine! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
3goldens

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link for that guys site does not seem to be working, anyone have an email for him. I would like to contact him on behalf of Gaff. That's right the real one, non other than EJO himself! He just doesn't have time to make up all of the ones fans ask him for so I am going to see if I can purchase some from this guy if he really is legit!

thanks,
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to start working on my origami again Smile.

I am sure there are others here who can make these for you. Hopefully they will get back to you.

Andy
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3goldens wrote:
The link for that guys site does not seem to be working, anyone have an email for him. I would like to contact him on behalf of Gaff. That's right the real one, non other than EJO himself! He just doesn't have time to make up all of the ones fans ask him for so I am going to see if I can purchase some from this guy if he really is legit!

thanks,

If you can't find anyone to do it, you could try building them yourself using the CHICKEN TUTORIAL...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to study the tutorial again, because it sounds like EJO is hiring. Cool

Andy
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings....

I don't know if this has been posted before or not, but this may be useful for someone (at least to get the gist) of the Chicken creation...

I followed the link for the tutorial for the chicken tutorial that Nexus6 created, Thanks for the tutorial Nexus6! ~

so I offer these ....

====

While searching about I can across this... a tutorial for the unicorn...

http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~null/unicorn/unicorn0.html

====

and a video/flash with instructions for the Chicken...

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-origami-a-chicken-japanese-style-216280/view/

====

I hope this helps out in some small way!

Respects!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the sharing Deckardsenigma...I'm sure it'll help a lot of people here
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: