FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Too many damn remakes...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimmy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Too many damn remakes... Reply with quote

Hi all it's me again in a somewhat upset mood. As some of you may know if you read my introduction here I am going for the goal of being a movie director and one of the things i swore to never do (If I ever make it as a director) is to never make remakes of past movies that I grew up watching. The other day I was with my girlfriend watching upcoming movie previews and there I saw that they were remaking "The Karate Kid".. I told my girlfriend "that's it..this is just getting ridiculous." I was already upset that they are already talking about some remakes of my favorite movies like Clash of the titans, The Thing (Even though there was a black and white version it's still a movie i remember seeing when I was growing up), Old Boy etc etc. I decided for the heck of it to google "Movie Remakes" and what I saw just really pissed me off..I mean c'mon I don't know if some of you may agree with me here but why can't they just leave these classics alone.. Imagine if someone remade Blade Runner.. If anything what I think Hollywood should do is just re-release the same movie with maybe a graphical improvement in quality i.e Blueray. That's another reason why I want to be a director too so that I can show something new.. not remake something that's already been used...sigh. I don't know I just wanted to let some steam out. Do you guys feel the same way I do? I told my girlfriend that when we have kids.. I'm no going to show them all the recent movies.. I'm going to show them the true classics. just my opinion.

Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, i hate remakes aswell, didn't know they were remakig Kirate Kid though.
Why can't they leave alone.
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree about remaking the classics , but I am not adverse to a remake that actually adds to the movie , by that I mean either technically, artistically or say the quality of the acting. I do have to agree though that remakes are generally not the better for actually remaking the film, but some times there are rare exceptions and you do get in the main a 'better' film Speilberg's War of the Worlds for one
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on your side as well, Grimmy. For example, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" remake was a disaster IMO.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How one to really depress you... I read they are remaking OUTLAND...

that is really depressing...

"Did you really destroy the ENTIRE shipment?"

www.alienthemovie.blogspot.com
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sure remakes sucks in general, remakes of classics are a big no-no in my book (let's do a remake of the Mona Lisa and see how it goes Confused ).
But in terms of human stories, we're just producing variations on known themes that have been done already...Taking "Moon" as an example you discover that the clone theme was already used elswhere (BR for one) implanted memory and the discovery that you're a machine and that those experiences are not yours are not what I call "news".
Don't get me wrong; I enjoyed seeing the film for other reasons but the core is not something completely radical or off the wall... Basic philosophy.
Just my 2 cents Wink
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remaking Outland?
Thanks for ruining my day, JT. lol
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem with remakes in general are that often in the process of "updating" the film for a new generation they also tend to dumb down the plot. Also it often means the next generation will never see the classic version because they are in "Black and White" Shocked, and think they saw the same film with the remake anyway. On the other hand, many of the films I consider classics were themselves remakes, like John Carpenters 'The Thing'.

Andy
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol! Just think about how much the sci-fi fans were belly-aching when John Carpenter remade The Thing. lol!

I must admit, the remake thing has run a little rampant lately. Clash of the Titans? Are you fk'n kidding me???
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: I agree on a case by case ...lol Reply with quote

I agree, and for the most part the preformances are not as good as the original,at times impossible to compete.
HOWEVER
I have a soft spot for the Texas Chainsaw remake w/ Jessica Biel
THAT film was worthy
I dont know why they would waste their time of total crap like Karate kid when so many great stories have not made the leap yet?
like when is Coppola gonna get of his ass and make ON THE ROAD!?
or the AMBOY DUKES? or for that matter why hasn't Tarantino cracked a MICKEY SPILLANE novel with all the bone crunching pistol whipping and dame slapping?
LACK of imagination I guess.
Grimmy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you guys agree with me. You know moments like these with all this remakes makes me wonder how the original actors and directors feel about having to see their work being remade. Excuse my corny analogy but to me it's like being the only child having all of the attention and love and as that child you feel somewhat special knowing that you get full attention until the day they have a new baby and then all of that attention you once had goes to the new born. I'm sure that's how these actors/directors feel to a certain point. Whats sad is that nowadays everyone's seems to care about CGI and all. If i made a movie I would use the traditional modeling of the buildings and whatnot. I can't believe they are remaking outland though.. Also i found out that a company by the name of " Hedge Fund" Just bought the rights to The Terminator... Maybe there will be a Terminator Remake too.. I also found out they are remaking the Cult Classic "Escape from new york".. If this keeps continuing then I won't be surprised to see a Blade Runner remake.. I do know that the director for Moon Want's to do something with Blade Runner.. He did send a copy of his movie "Moon" To ridley scott.. When i think about how people are starting to forget the Originals I can only think of Roy Batty's quote " All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the original movies will be lost; it's just that you have to educate yourself and do some research to discover that some of the movies, or novels, made, say, in the '30s, '40s or '50s influenced a lot of directors and taking "Outland" for example; it's a little bit like a western in space; a "High Noon" (sheriff waiting for the back guys landing with the next shuttle, him almost alone in his struggle, etc)...and I'm all for the "on-camera" physical modeling instead of CG.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Models and miniatures over CGI anyday for me.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
On the other hand, many of the films I consider classics were themselves remakes, like John Carpenters 'The Thing'.

Andy

Yeah but in all fairness, if you've read the original short story 'Who Goes There?' you'll see that Carpenter's version of The Thing is much closer to the original story than the 1950's movie.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: