FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorian Gray
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel Reply with quote

This looks close than GB3 lol

http://www.slashfilm.com/blade-runner-prequelsequel/#more-99441
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Bud Yorkin doesn't have too much to do with it. He never got the original film and hated every idea Ridley came up with. He thought the movie could be made for half the price, and was the one who chose the guy to write the voice over. I don't have a good feeling about this.

More info here...
http://collider.com/blade-runner-prequel-sequel/78781/

Andy
Dorian Gray
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya after watching final cut "making of" ...uh! Can you imagine an annoying narration like a book on tape.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Perenchio at least sounds like he liked the film, and understood it's significance. Bud just seemed to hate it all, and wish he made it himself, his own way. Bud certainly has a great mind for "Entertainment", but Blade Runner is something different, not entertaining in the traditional sense. I am beginning to feel it may be too late for a sequel now, but I still want badly to see more movies made in the world created by Blade Runner. I want to go back and visit there again badly. I think I need to see if I can be a consultant on this film if it ever happens.

Andy
Dorian Gray
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have my vote! Smile
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Jerry Perenchio at least sounds like he liked the film, and understood it's significance. Bud just seemed to hate it all, and wish he made it himself, his own way. Bud certainly has a great mind for "Entertainment", but Blade Runner is something different, not entertaining in the traditional sense. I am beginning to feel it may be too late for a sequel now, but I still want badly to see more movies made in the world created by Blade Runner. I want to go back and visit there again badly. I think I need to see if I can be a consultant on this film if it ever happens.

Andy

I agree.. Bud comes across as bitter and put out over the albeit late success of BR. I almost feel he thinks he's a better film man than Scott and if he got his hands on Deckard's world I hate to think what he would do with it….

IMO Blade Runner is Scott's world just like LOTR and HOBBIT are PJ's

Best

Mark

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I read “We are honored and excited to be in business with Bud Yorkin." in the collider article, my heart sank and any hope I might have had in this being good news faded away.

Bud Yorkin shouldn't be allowed anywhere near blade runner.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping with all my heart that this goes the same way as the Alien prequel.

Remember this utter clown?

http://www.slashfilm.com/exclusive-screenwriter-travis-wright-responds-to-blade-runner-2-story/

I'm more interested in the idea of Duncan Jones' homage.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you all know what this means right?...Merchandising Very Happy

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more decent articles about it...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/03/blade-runner-prequel-sequel-new-movie-ridley-scott-alcon-remake.html

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/03/02/blade-runner-prequels-sequels-alcon/

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Andy...yeah, if Alcon Entertainment has the blessing of Bud it's for a good reason: he wants more control then he had on the original. I know that some of you will say that he had too much control in the first one (and I agree with that thought), imagine the control he'll have on the prequel(s) and sequel(s).
It smells bad when a producer (ex-director to boot) didn't understand the philosophy and the idea behind the movie and didn't respect Ridley's direction or look in the first place, but it's even worse that he has "allowed" the movie to be a simple diving board to make money (and yes, it smells like merchandising to me too Rolling Eyes )
Two men should be doing the sequel: Duncan Jones Director, Ridley Scott Producer ...my 2 cents.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting in aticipation for Duncan Jones's movies, but I do think there are at least a few other directors out there that could do the film justice, including David Fincher, Mark Romanek, Chris Nolan, and perhaps even Alex Proyas.

Andy
Metrokab
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not excited about this news. Not outraged, mind you, but very skeptical.

I don't consider Blade Runner franchise material, and I can't picture this leading to anything more than a low-budget, quickly-forgotten cash-in. Guess I've been burned by too many inferior sequels and remakes.

Didn't the "Blade Runner Partnership" (Yorkin & Perenchio) commission K.W. Jeter's Blade Runner novels back in the 1990s?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, I think it was negotiated through Dick's estate, since they gave him rights to make any books based on the movie, and Dick and Jeter were close friends.

Andy
deckardsenigma
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metrokab wrote:
Not excited about this news. Not outraged, mind you, but very skeptical.

I don't consider Blade Runner franchise material, and I can't picture this leading to anything more than a low-budget, quickly-forgotten cash-in. Guess I've been burned by too many inferior sequels and remakes.

Didn't the "Blade Runner Partnership" (Yorkin & Perenchio) commission K.W. Jeter's Blade Runner novels back in the 1990s?

=====

Greetings ~

I am also not too keen on this, as - Pre/Seqs - are always a *iffy* situation to consider and make.

Maybe us FANs will have a say in this… (one can only wish) ~ right?

I wonder if (however unlikely) Harrison Ford will do (well consider) a cameo, maybe taking Bryants place as Capt? ~ or ??

I actually always wondered what occurred (after) he and Rachel departed together…

I also, think that they better choose the proper people, props, music, as THAT aspect is not used anymore, as its all dependant on CGI now-a-days.

Those effects are what gave the film the creative touch/style that we all know and love now.

I also (hope) that if they use CGI, that its not used too much to ”replicate” LA 2019 and that they please - NOT FORCE FEED 3D - (if they go down that route) - on the viewer, like using those lame *in your face* effects like in the early days of 3D.

*sighs
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No good can possibly come from this.

I think those two got their asses burnt on the money back in '82, and now figure that the only way to sooth the burn is by rubbing it with $100 bills.

Not to mention its one of those stories that really gains nothing from either a prequel or sequel. By the time the credits roll, Tyrell's dead, Sebastian's dead, Chew's dead, and Deckard's on the lam. Pretty much anyone that could've solved the four year lifespan thing is out of the picture, and somehow I don't think a scene with Jared Leto in a peroxide bleached hairdo talking to Brad From Accounting about more life is going to have the same emotional depth.

And in terms of a prequel, those never go well, because odds are they'll go with a retcon, thereby rendering the original film moot. I always wondered how it was that Roy knew Deckard's name since they never met before the final confrontation. But I'd rather leave it as an ambiguity in the film than see it be some cheeseball escape from the Off World, with Roy and Deckard replicants. Or worse yet showing the Nexus 5 as being superior to the later models, because you alway downgrade when going to a new model.

As for Harrison Ford reappearing in a cameo, maybe, but from his interviews I gathered he wasn't a big fan of the Deckard character.

In regards to merchandising, you know it wont be anything this good:

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the ways I remember thinking about Blade Runner when it first came out was described by the intro to the Naked City, "There are 8 million stories in the naked city". The main story in Blade Runner was this relatively small story that crossed paths with other bigger stories (like Tyrell), and had a setting that just let you know there is so much more to explore in this dark, sultry, and even mystical place.

Every extra that crossed the screen seemed to have an interesting story of their own, and they all seemed interconnected by larger epic event that had unfolded before, and is happening behind the scenes in the movie itself. I like the idea that any new films just tell some of those stories, not as a prequel or sequel, but as a "sidequel". Something set in the same world that may also hint further about the larger unknown stories in the first film. Something that will give us more to talk about for the next 25 years perhaps.

The other things I ask of the makers of any new film are...
1-That the movie be intelligent, if you want to tap into the market of Blade Runner fans, I am willing to bet that they are all above average in intelligence, you have to appeal to them if you don't want to kill a "Franchise" before it becomes one.
2-That you don't make a roller coaster ride action film. Blade Runner may be called boring by some, but what makes so many people love it is that you can spend some time fully engulfed in that world.
3-That that world be realistic, and not glamorous. Some glamour as seen in Tyrell's office will be okay in contrast, but if every main character has unwrinkled clean clothes, and perfect skin and hair, I won't fall for the illusion, and it will look fake. I also relate better to actors that are a little odd looking than perfect and overly made up. It is this movies attention to that realism, that has kept it repeatedly watchable for so long.
4-That they hire some new and unrecognized talent. Nothing kills a movie more for me than having some "Star" that is constantly in the news and in other movies, and all ready overexposed. Unless they are an actor in the realm of the very best of the best, I won't be able to believe their character. Except for Harrison Ford, the rest of the actors in the first film were not stars yet, at least not in the US, or they were veteran character actors. Harrison was also just becoming a star at that time, and even though he may have been the biggest of the time, his star power did not make the movie a success.
5-They try to come up with some ideas that have not become cliche's. The original movie blew us away because it did so many things different from any other film before. Things that now have almost become convention themselves. And, I am not talking special effects, because all the special effects in that movie were done before in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. It was the music, the places, and over all the atmosphere. The movie works so well because it transported us to a new place and time that was exotic and still fully real.

The movie I first saw back in 1982-3, is still transporting me to this world. Because of it I have gone places in my own mind that I have never seen on film ever, and if any new film comes out and does not take me to places nearly as interesting as the ones in my own imagination, I will probably be sorely disappointed in it. If you want to use any of those notebooks full of places I have been to in my brain you can contact me here, and we can work out a deal Wink

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a taste of all the new articles coming out about this...

Google links to hundreds of news articles and blog posts

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All genuine arguments here guys about the pre/seq BR; lots of good ideas also and how we "see" the movie (with different eyes and experiences). Andy mentioned Nolan or Fincher and these are excellent directors that gave their ideas and views on other director's work (Batman for example).
The question is: do we want to see the BR world being changed ever so slightly or do we want to be plunged back into what we have known, and loved, for so many years? Like re-connecting with a best friend...seems like we continue the conversation where we left off; same with BR: the look and the set design remains the same in its ensemble (with little details added here and there wether it's the prequel or the sequel and the amount of time lapse in between those). That's why I think that the Ridley Team should be either in front or behind the scene (a little like Lucas did with his vision of the StarWars universe).
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy on all his points and sadly I don't believe there's a snowballs chance in hell that the producers will take a risk on recognising a single one of them. Not in this day and age.

Also, It's bad enough that all 'original' sci-fi stuff today is written by people who only have other sci-fi films as their limited frame of reference but if one of them get's given the task of expanding on BR specifically... God help us.

It'll be generic, dumbed-down, lazy, reductive crap and partly by design to ensure butts on seats. Crowbar-ed references to the first film dressed up as 'clever' foreshadowing. Desperate attempts to reproduce the magic of BR by aping some of it's key scenes and set pieces. You just know that showing 'attack ships on fire' or providing an underwhelming and perfunctory explanation of exactly what 'C-Beams' and the 'Tannhauser Gate ' are (utterly destroying the magic and poetry of Batty's speech in the process) is the kind of level some writers will be thinking on. There's a large percentage of the demographic out there (the more undemanding ones, shall we say) who will WOOT! and SQUEEE! themselves into a frenzy about this kind of stuff and go home satisfied.

Finish this shit-cake off with some stale CGI icing and watch the money pour in.

To me, everything that made BR special has been lost in time (like you know what)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: