FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

The main story was extremely simple and a classic film noir structure.
Andy

Exactly. There has to be a compelling story this time around otherwise it's just a pointless do-over. Like a romance twice over.

I agree that some original personnel on board would give it a better chance
TimeEnough
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a BR sequel/prequel as a next gen game? Could turn out well like the Ghost Busters game did.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the advantage of this becoming a franchise, even if the movie turns out bad. Things like games and other tie-ins will show up. As long as they don't oversaturate it.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimeEnough wrote:
What about a BR sequel/prequel as a next gen game? Could turn out well like the Ghost Busters game did.

I'd like to see a next gen BR game. Either something immersive with a strong story, or a sandbox that lets us explore a bit of the city while tracking down randomly generated replicants.

Closest its likely to come to that though is Rockstar's L.A. Noir which is being touted as a sandbox detective game where you'll work your way up from patrolman to detective and how the cases unfold will be based on how you interview the people involved as well as what evidence you collect.

Just please no cheesy shooters or fighting games tacked on to the franchise.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love something along the design of the Myst games. It could have all the subtle BR sounds and occasional soundtrack cues.

Andy
TimeEnough
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was appalled you'd suggest Rockstar, but then I remembered they made Red Dead Redemption. Actually both ideas are great. Myst could work well too. Would be fun to play as both BR and replicant
Insomniac
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
One of the ways I remember thinking about Blade Runner when it first came out was described by the intro to the Naked City, "There are 8 million stories in the naked city". The main story in Blade Runner was this relatively small story that crossed paths with other bigger stories (like Tyrell), and had a setting that just let you know there is so much more to explore in this dark, sultry, and even mystical place.

Every extra that crossed the screen seemed to have an interesting story of their own, and they all seemed interconnected by larger epic event that had unfolded before, and is happening behind the scenes in the movie itself. I like the idea that any new films just tell some of those stories, not as a prequel or sequel, but as a "sidequel". Something set in the same world that may also hint further about the larger unknown stories in the first film. Something that will give us more to talk about for the next 25 years perhaps.

The other things I ask of the makers of any new film are...
1-That the movie be intelligent, if you want to tap into the market of Blade Runner fans, I am willing to bet that they are all above average in intelligence, you have to appeal to them if you don't want to kill a "Franchise" before it becomes one.
2-That you don't make a roller coaster ride action film. Blade Runner may be called boring by some, but what makes so many people love it is that you can spend some time fully engulfed in that world.
3-That that world be realistic, and not glamorous. Some glamour as seen in Tyrell's office will be okay in contrast, but if every main character has unwrinkled clean clothes, and perfect skin and hair, I won't fall for the illusion, and it will look fake. I also relate better to actors that are a little odd looking than perfect and overly made up. It is this movies attention to that realism, that has kept it repeatedly watchable for so long.
4-That they hire some new and unrecognized talent. Nothing kills a movie more for me than having some "Star" that is constantly in the news and in other movies, and all ready overexposed. Unless they are an actor in the realm of the very best of the best, I won't be able to believe their character. Except for Harrison Ford, the rest of the actors in the first film were not stars yet, at least not in the US, or they were veteran character actors. Harrison was also just becoming a star at that time, and even though he may have been the biggest of the time, his star power did not make the movie a success.
5-They try to come up with some ideas that have not become cliche's. The original movie blew us away because it did so many things different from any other film before. Things that now have almost become convention themselves. And, I am not talking special effects, because all the special effects in that movie were done before in Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind. It was the music, the places, and over all the atmosphere. The movie works so well because it transported us to a new place and time that was exotic and still fully real.

The movie I first saw back in 1982-3, is still transporting me to this world. Because of it I have gone places in my own mind that I have never seen on film ever, and if any new film comes out and does not take me to places nearly as interesting as the ones in my own imagination, I will probably be sorely disappointed in it. If you want to use any of those notebooks full of places I have been to in my brain you can contact me here, and we can work out a deal Wink

Andy

I've been writing a fan sidequal.....

Got
Synthetic Humanity (mechanical animals) a.k.a. Andriods: The whole Nexus lineup!
Crooked Cops
Cyborgs
Anarchists
Rioters
Philosophers
Bounty Hunters
Off World Explorers
Prostitutes
Mercenaries
Monks
Bums
Memories and breadcrumbs
"THE GODS"
The story is of redemption for one of the most ambitious and wicked minds of the interlinked megacorps who reaches an epiphany and
a hermit in unexplored space.... In his last years he designs and purchases an advance Replicant based to learn and question his makers wrong doings and deliver a message to the powerful (once equals to the dying hermit) who turned the world into a Hellish one of today!

All sorts of depressing eye opening chaos and such!

IDK KINDA ABANDONED IT CUZ IT WAS OVERWHELMING PLUS BR IS SO PERFECT WTF SHOULD I EVEN TRY TO TOUCH THE DELICATE SKIRT OF IT'S BUEATY!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequel we all fear...

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/awful-movie-database/blade-runner-2.php

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Andy...I think Crying or Very sad What I don't understand is that Rutger is in it also Shocked ...just wow!
Bishop To King 7
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
TimeEnough wrote:

I'd like to see a next gen BR game. Either something immersive with a strong story, or a sandbox that lets us explore a bit of the city while tracking down randomly generated replicants.

Few years back some fan made a Blade Runner sandbox game using the Unreal Tournament 2003 engine.

Check out this amazing trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFLXHTnSX9s

Here's some in-game footage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHlo6Y3MIfE

Download here.
http://www.fileplanet.com/118901/110000/fileinfo/DM-2019:--Blade-Runner-UT2K3-DM

Remember, you need Unreal Tournament 2003 to be able to play this mod.

Deckard's new drinking game. Take a shot every time you see a Spinner.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing this mod, pretty cool to walk around in, but there's no real story happening in there.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, they have to update the dialogue:

"Dude, I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. . ."

Tony
TimeEnough
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they removed "you people" as it offended a large demographic. In fact the only scene that remained was the closeup of the eye, but they changed the reflection to Mc Donalds's arches.
Bishop To King 7
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things we can already predict about BR2:

- 3D CGI. Yes... the horror.
- Harrison Ford will only make a cameo appearance if he can portray Deckard as human.
- Music will not be composed by Vangelis.
- It will suck.
- It will suck.

Deckard's new drinking game. Take a shot every time you see a Spinner.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course I have to disagree. Wink

First of all I do think 3D CGI can be done well. It only seems when the artisans doing the effects either try too hard to make something too impressive, or they just are a little lazy with it, in other words when they over, or underestimate what the viewer will digest. Also as far as 3D projection movies go, I can say I have seen some that have blown me away and totally enveloped me in the world created, and that is what BR is about. Creating a world that you can just about exist in.

Second, Harrison says he is okay with the film now, and he and Ridley have made peace. He has also admitted to liking his performance on the film better now. He has admitted that most of his issues with the film for so long had to do with all the BS after Ridley left, and the "Partnership" took over. He thought they messed with the film too much and he likes Ridley's version as it was, and now is. Still I doubt HF will be in any sequel more for the fact that he isn't that action star anymore, and his price tag is still pretty high. You could possibly be right about a cameo though, but the filmakers may be wise to avoid answering the "human vrs replicant" issue. Because even the fans that have an opinin on it, most prefer it not to be answered absolutely.

Third, Vangelis is still alive and I think may still be under contract for it. Vangelis is a good businessman and is known for making his worth last a long time. I would be surprised if he didn't put it in his contract to do any sequels. This is also why it took so long for his soundtrack to BR to come out, and why he had so much control over it.

Fourth, it may very well suck, especially if it was to be done by a big Hollywood studio, but it isn't. The guys that got it turn out to be just as big fans as us. Still it may be a 50/50 chance of it being sucky or otherwise. I won't make up my mind until it is done. I don't understand why people need so badly to pick sides on stuff. I find in reality neither side in any issue is %100 right. I feel it is important to make up my own mind on this as real facts come out.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hauer seems to like Chris Nolan for the job...
http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/04/01/rutger-hauer-only-christopher-nolan-should-make-new-blade-runner-film/#/0

Andy
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I saw that too. Look interesting.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to say the least...as far as I'm concern and I'll use what Rutger has said about the film: It's a diamond and the only man capable of making a sequel of that diamond is the original jeweller: Ridley Scott!

But if worse comes to worse: Noeland is a good "replacement" Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Interesting to say the least...as far as I'm concern and I'll use what Rutger has said about the film: It's a diamond and the only man capable of making a sequel of that diamond is the original jeweller: Ridley Scott!

But if worse comes to worse: Noeland is a good "replacement" Wink

+1

Loved Memento and Inception a lot. The complexity and texture of both film are amazing, very close in a sense to BR.

Fred
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two humble requests:

1: Please, no ****ing Teal (and Orange)

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

2: Have the sense and balls to retain the Zeerust

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Zeerust
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: