FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Cibi Glasses - Are they supposed to be 'chipped'?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SephYuyX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Cibi Glasses - Are they supposed to be 'chipped'? Reply with quote

So long story short.

I randomly ran across a glass I really liked, and it turned out to be the imfamous Arnolfo di Cambio Cibi Double Old Fashion Glass.

When looking where to buy the glass for a less expensive price, I came across this forum, and the name Phil Steinschneider seemed to be the way to go.

Days pass, I recieve my glass, but the bottomish corner seems to be 'chipped/cracked'.

Im no glass connoisseur, especially when it comes to expensive hand blown glass. But is this supposed to be here?

There is a bit of deformity on the inside, (id assume from the glass blowing), and then on the outside (maybe where the blown glass was broken off) it is chipped and rough.

So I was wondering.

Did I get a bum glass? Or are these how these types of glasses are made?

I would of at least thought that where the blown glass was broken off at would be smooth, but I dont know.

So I would be appreciative if yall who owned this glass could lend some insight.

Ill be able to upload some pics tomorrow if necessary.

Thanks all.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible that the Glass was a second or flawed in making because they are hand made, but all the ones I have seen are pretty crisp, and have very few if any flaws. If you got it from Phil he will most likely replace it. Pics would be helpful to figure out exactly what is wrong with it.

If it helps any, one of the glasses used in the film sold in auction for over $500, and it was also chipped in the lip and the base.

Andy
SephYuyX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Th wider area is within the glass, while the smaller area is on the outside of the glass, it also has a chipped/roug textue t it.

Thanks.

Finbladerunner
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that is very visible! Not in my Cibi. Perhaps your had just some manufacturing error which might blasted visible later when quality control has passed. I have no idea why should any well reputated glassmaker pass such an items.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at my two Cibi's and there are no such cracks or defects.

I'm no expert on glass, but your damage does not look like what I'd call a manufacturing defect. Looks more like it chipped in handling or shipping.

Tony
SephYuyX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil got back with me and he is sending out a replacement. Thankfully his reputation holds true.

He packed it very well, so I dont think it was caused by shipping. As stated, probably just one of the few that got passed QC.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an impact fracture to me, not a defect. It could be small enough he didn't catch it, or the package took just sharp enough of a hit it happened in the package. Even well packaged items can be damaged if hit just right. Glad Phil is taking care of it.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: