FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
2001 ASO : SPACE STATION V
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thoughts guys, thanks for sharing !!! You could both be right, all your theories make sense after all !

Cool

I thought about the "magnetic" thing again this morning and came up with another (complementary) theory. IIRC, all computer data was still stored on magnetic strips when 2001 was in production... Let's say that the same process still applies to the 2001 : ASO world... If I follow this idea, it means that a "Magnetic Magazine" is a magazine that can be stored on a magnetic strip.

Why the hell should a magazine be available in magnetic form (we would say digital form nowadays) ? What's the idea behind it ?
I think I have an explanation :
Since the human presence has expanded at least to the Moon and Earth orbit in 2001 : ASO, how do you make a weekly magazine available to all its "extra-terrestrial" readers ? Do you launch shuttles full of magazines every week ???
Nope...
You send it via radio transmission to all the ships and bases that have subscribed and can receive it ! The next step for the subscriber will be to record / upload each issue data on a magnetic strip (in order to archive it), then print as many paper copies as needed (on demand) for anyone interested aboard their ship or station.

Simple. Efficient... Magnetic !

Cool

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:49 am; edited 3 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff guys! Paris Match...who would've thought . Thanks for sharing Fred.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like there was also a "european mag" named L'EUROPEO ! (read here by a russian stewardess)

Too bad it doesn't appear in the film, I would have loved to see how it looked in color...

Fred

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Fred, got to see that movie again soon: I missed too many details Shocked
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few images from director Pavel Klushantsevs 1957 masterpiece

"ROAD TO THE STARS"

He began working on this in 1954 and had to add new footage in 57 when
Sputnik 1 was launched!
Stanley Kubrick and George Lucas have both said he was an inspiration to their work, in these comparison shots its evident that Kubrick was heavily influenced by this particular film, particularly the day to day routine on a large rotating space station, and rigid attention to scientific accuracy.

nexus42

Last edited by nexus42 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus42 ... as a Russian and sci-fi enthusiast, this observation blows me away! cant wait to see this film (here i thought SOLARIS was the best Russian Sci-Fi ever!) ... thanks for sharing and for your keen eye.

you and Fred should teach Sci-Fi theory in college!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nex for your comparison pics with "ROAD TO THE STARS", they're awesome ! (I don't have this one in my DVDtheque)

Another film that influenced Kubrick a lot was "TO THE MOON AND BEYOND".
Here is a short description of the film, from Doug Trumbull's site :

In 1963 Graphic Films Corporation produced a film titled “To the Moon and Beyond” for the Travel and Transportation pavilion at the 1964-5 New York World’s Fair. Douglas Trumbull produced much of the artwork for unusual multiplane and fisheye photography under the direction of Benjamin Jackson, and cinematographer James Dickson.

Fred
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photek and Fred thank you both....this really is a fantastic film, years ahead of it's time, and it warrants a place beside Destination Moon, Forbidden Planet and the Day the Earth Stood Still! for effects, design and plot!
Pavel Klushantsev unfortunately fell out of favour with the Soviet elite, and died in poverty in 1999. His incredible attention to detail and use of pioneering effects work would if in the west have elevated him to a comparable position as Kubrick, Pal, Trumbull and Wise!
Another groundbreaking Eastern bloc film is Icarus XB1 (Ikarie XB1) 1963....by Czech director Jindrich Polak.....this can be viewed on YouTube, and is an incredibly atmospheric for its time! featuring a 40 strong international crew on a deep space mission set in 2163, to a planet in the vicinty of Alpha Centauri. They intercept a distress call from a strange abandoned ship and find? Well I wont spoil the surprise.....Also check out "Heavens Call" "Nebo Zovyot" also known as (Battle Beyond the Sun) made in 1959 by close friends of Klushantsevs, Mikhail Karzhukov and Aleksandr Kozyr, they trained as cameramen before directing.... this fim depicts a race by the Russian rocket ship Rodina and American ship Typhoon to the planet Mars! the americans leave prematurely and burn most of their fuel in the process, and end up heading for the sun, unless in a supreme act of sacrifice the Russian ship detours and rescues the stranded American ship?
This is similar in tone to some of the jingoistic american B- movies from that era, but with a Soviet slant to the plot! Still well worth watching for the effects and scientific accuracy.
Lee
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

“Road to the Stars” looks great! I’m unfamiliar with that one. But those side-by-side images sure show an influence on Kubrick.

That Czech film “Icarus XB1”, also known as “Voyage to the End of the Universe” is also quite good and very atmospheric. Great production design. Highly recommended.

[img] http://s3.amazonaws.com/auteurs_production/stills/10474/original.jpg?1289455073 [/img]

Another good Soviet film is “Planeta Bur”, or “Planet of Storms”, redubbed by Roger Corman, or rather by Curtis Harrington working for Roger Corman, and renamed “Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet.”

Tony
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony there's a wealth of remarkable former Soviet and eastern bloc science fiction movies still to be discovered, it's unfortunate that Solaris seems to be the only film from this country that most people are aware of.

Tony check over in the Alien related section.....I posted comparison shots of certain design elements from "Planeta Bur" and the new Alien prequel!

"PLANETA BUR"....is a one of those movies that was chopped to pieces for distribution in the west, finally being titled Voyage to the Planet of the Prehistoric Women, with the extra footage added by Peter Bogdanovich....it seems the west at that time couldn,t handle an intelligent well thought out science fiction movie from its political adversary without adding a great deal of "schlock".
One of the delights of this movie is "JOHN" the articulated robot, a soviet counterpart to the west's "Robbie the Robot".
Lee
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent research guys (many more movies to see Wink )
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears they blew their budget on the ships and space suits with nothing left over for set decoration. Even in 1957 those dinette tables and folding beach chairs didn't cut it.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that all these Eastern Block films are hijacking this thread. But here's another: Der schweigende Stern (The Silent Star), an East German trip to Venus. Dubbed and edited in English as The First Spaceship on Venus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Spaceship_on_Venus

Doesn't that vehicle in the background has a Syd Mead look?

Tony
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TM wrote:
I'm afraid that all these Eastern Block films are hijacking this thread.

That's fine, keep' em coming, I love this stuff !!!

Cool

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more pics of great russian SciFi films ?

OK, then back to our topic...

In the scene when Dr Floyd walks in the concourse of the station, you can spot some interesting details...

Look for example at the HILTON booth... See these 2 shuttle models displayed behind glass ? The small one on the left is an Orion model painted black (I guess it was painted this way to look like one of these decorative metal planes made in the 40's / 60's).
But there's another big model on the right (circled red in screencap) that isn't an Orion... It's the same model seen in Tony Masters' hands in the BTS photo. To me it looked rather close to a shuttle designed for To the Moon and beyond, the film Doug Trumbull had worked on prior to 2001 (drawing below). I wanted to know more, that's why I contacted him via email and he kindly answered this :

The Shuttle you refer to, being held by Tony Masters, was a design for the Tupulov Russian Shuttle, and equivalent to the Orion in 2001. It was never finished or used for photography, so just stayed a model on the concourse of the Space Station. I do not think it is related to the earlier film, except in concept.

I didn't know a Russian shuttle was envisioned at a certain point during pre-prod, but that makes sense when you realize the crew that talks near the Picturephone booth (pic in 3rd post of this page) is Russian...

Shocked

Fred

PS : The bottom picture was taken by me a few weeks ago at the Kubrick exhibition in Paris. It shows previously unseen (at least by me) automated gift shops on the right. (I guess that's where Dr Floyd would have bought the gift for his daughter)

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:22 am; edited 2 times in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome!

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy !

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent research Fred (and thanks to D. Trumbull for answering the question). Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JB !

Another important element of the station concourse is the Picturephone booth. It was partly inspired by a real videophone seen at the Montreal 67 Expo.
Here is a contituity photo of the card used by Dr. Floyd to call his daughter. I always though it was a phone card but no, it's simply an American express card !

Laughing

I took that pic of the continuity shot when attending the Kubrick exhibition in Paris... I must say that I was amazed at the amount of details seen of that card... it even had a kind of "proto bar code / ICC" (you can see it in the screencap, it's red and black) on its front side !
Phone cards would be in use for the first time almost 20 years after the release of the film... I saw this on Wikipedia :

The first mass use of the cards was as a Télécarte for payment in French pay phones, starting in 1983.

More here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card

Fred
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno if this was posted elsewhere. Seems a shame but these look legit to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: