FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Rachael's Black Dress
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Rachael's Black Dress Reply with quote

My girl-friend and I are planning a couple of BR Costumes and she's very excited to make that black dress of Rachel's.
We were both doubly excited when we discovered the dress ON DISPLAY in the Seattle Sci-Fi Museum!
I was interested to discover that the cuffs, coller and all those diamond patterns are made from some kind of dark green reptile skin.
I had thought from watching the movie that I was looking at black sequins.

Question: Did the makers of the dress plan this detail to accent the "animals are scarce" theme and to show that Rachel was obviously wealthy if she could wear REAL animal skin/reptile skin?
If so, what of the fact that it would have been illegal to make, own and wear in the BR world?
Any thoughts?

Last edited by Once-bitten on Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great info, and too bad you can't snap pics inside the museum.

My guess would be that the skin was probably supposed to be replicated, but who knows, maybe Tyrell lied to Rachel and only told her it was fake, or, that it was real.

The level of detail that went into every single thing on this film never, ever, ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for sharing!
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had heard about the whole "No Pictures" rule at the Sci-Fi Museum and then saw the rule on the flyer they give you when you walk in. I would have loved to have gotten some close up pics of that reptile skin.
It ticked me a little bit however when we got inside and there was some teenager with a huge digital camera popping off picture's left and right.
The saving grace is that the museum posts the largest pic I've ever found of the dress at their web-site and my costumer/girl-friend has a great memory for detail.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen pretty big photos from the museum on Flikr, including the dress. I will look to see what I have. It probably won't show the texture detail though.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy...every little bit helps!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is one I got from flicker...

I believe the coat was sold again recently as well as being seen in a collection online in sweden I think. I will look for some links.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome pic! Thanks again!!
I'll definately pass this one on to my costumer/girl-friend.
As for the coat, I've picked up a lot of images from around the web from different places that have/are making it and from the movie as well. It's interesting to see all the variation/differences from the movie coat to fan made...I feel fortunate that my girlfriend has an incredible eye for detail and that we already found the material for the coat, which we plan on distressing to tone it down in color a bit.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check out the pics from BladeZone for Rachael's dress?

Will you be making both her dresses? What about both the coats?

If you are talking also about Sebastian's jacket, I saw it in an auction a while back and it was brightly colored, not drab.

BTW, have you seen the BR inspired Prada raincoat??
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point my girl-friend is running a bit on over-load...keep in mind that she just got rid of her ex-husband who never wanted to go anywhere and she got together with an ex-actor who wants to go everywhere and do everything and look good doing it...me!
The plans for the BR costumes at this point are:
A Deckard out fit for me and a Rachel outfit for her(the black dress) also I think I have talked her into doing that big collar coat of Rachel's...showed her a good pic of it and I think she fell in love.

Yeah...I was a bit surprised by the color of Sebastions coat. You can just see it over the right shoulder of Rachel's Black Dress above. Looks a bit like a circus outfit.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that Prada Raincoat...probably inspired after Zhora's?
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have pics of the back of the costumes??
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you are talking about the black dress I'll tell you what my costumer told me when I asked her the same question:

"It's a very straight-forward 1940's cut dress...I don't need a picture of the back...for the most part it's the same as the front but without pockets."
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this in the "Pleather" section at Joannes Fabrics....PERFECT for the Collar,Cuffs,shoulder and sleeve detail of the Black Rachel Dress!
Looks Black and shimmery from a distance but up close it's dark green...Just like on the real dress.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very cool. my girlfriend has been saying she wants to dress up as Rachael to so I will be watching the thread for ideas. She has experience as a seamstress too. That dress is very nice, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Andy
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest Andy.
Also of some help was finding pics recently of all the Rachels in Black Dresses that attended ComiCon...
Their dresses are so poorly fitted, the pics went a long way toward showing what NOT to do!
I'll be posting more stuff here after my girl-friend really starts on everything...busy busy busy.
LA2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the swedish owner (?) of the dress at http://www.propworld.nu/
click "Isberg Collection" and scroll down a bit (He has quite a nice collection)

DirectLink to the dresspage

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am familiar with his collection, so are a few of us here. He also has one Blade Runner Item that he may not know was used in BR before it was used in V:the series, look here. It was the basis for the Deckard ID and at least one of the police IDs seen at worldcon. The Production Illustrator was the same for both.

As far as the dress is concerned, would you mind asking him for better pictures of the dress including the back? Of course I am assuming you know him, which may be wrong.

Andy
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Your first link appears to be dead...would be interested to take a look but...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...works for me fine. Here it is so you can copy and paste it...

http://www.propworld.nu/asp/shop/display.asp?ID=80
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is, I think, a better pic of the dress which I'm sure you have seen.

My costumer refers to the seams going up the front as "Military-Princess -seams", and say's they are fairly typical of womens 40's style dresses.

Andy---If your girl-friend is at all interested, my costumer is willing to re-draft a copy of the Vogue Vintage 1938 suit pattern (out of print) that she is basing her "Rachel-Dress" design on...she just needs to know her pattern size. If she doesn't know her "pattern-size" my costumer needs bust, waist, hips and any other general measurements.

Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some sketches of the Black Suit, and it appears to be very close to an old Vintage Vogue pattern which I already own, so that will make this a bit easier, since I don't have to start with a basic sloper.

The jacket is a very structured, military princess style, meaning that the front shaping is constructed in a seam that goes up the middle if each front piece and ends in the shoulder seam. I plan to lightly interface the whole front, as with a man's jacket but not as much body. As with many women's suits in the 40s (and 80s) the trick is to mimic menswear while not leaving the femine completely behind.

As an added bonus, the pattern I am using already has the in-seam slash pockets which will allow me to get a modicum of sleep between now and Halloween.

From seeing the original at the Sci-Fi museum in April, it appears that the medallians are pieced onto buckram squares then applied to the garment, much like a paper-pieced quilt. This gives them the rigid edges without driving me insane or burning off my fingerprints with an iron. If you sew, you know what I mean. Because I am using fabric instead of skin (ew), I will probably recreate the lines with topstitching instead of cutting skinny strips of fabric. There is dedication and then there is psychosis.

We are still working on buttons, and there are a few front-runners, but both will require someone to etch the grid detailing in them. Good thing I know someone who is good with power tools.

Because the back of the suit is always in shadow, I am choosing to just use my favorite tailoring details from the 40s and pretend I saw them. After all, Rachael must have almost as good a sense of style as I do. We will be posting some pictures of my sketches, but basically I am just doing a simple back to the jacket, with a vent starting at the waist so I can sit. In place of a kick slit in the back of the skirt, I am planning to have a fan-pleated gusset. Because it looks cool and will mimic the medallions on the shoulders and sleeves.

And just because someone wants his computer back, I should talk about the shoes. We found some wonderful black leather pumps at Macy's today, with what almost looks like spider-web detail piecing. Also soon to be pictured.

I think that's about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: