FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
RIP Tony Scott

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynaMax
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: RIP Tony Scott Reply with quote

Tony Scott passed away today after committing suicide. He was 68. Sad

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni34484776/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news indeed; heard the news on the radio at 5:30 AM and was shocked to hear that it was suicide...I liked his work very much and although some movies were not as good (who can claim to be perfect?) he has done some very nice and interesting work with a distinctive style.
My condoleances to his familly and friends Crying or Very sad
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful news. This really is very sad.

As we know, Ridley already lost his older brother Frank prematurely (to cancer in 1980).

Sincere condolences to Tony's family and friends.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: SAD NEWS INDEED Reply with quote

I only just heard and as yet know few details, but it's certainly a the loss of a great talent. Condolences to his immediately family, his friends, and to Ridley.
SynaMax
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shared this already on RPF, but I wanted to post it here as well:
Quote:

When I first heard the news, a thought came into my head: Ridley's older brother Frank died suddenly in 1980, I believe due to cancer. Ridley touched upon the subject during the Blade Runner documentary and stated that his brother's death most likely added to the dark mood of the movie.

As we all know, SRS is currently in pre-production for Blade Runner 2. Upon realizing this, I was disturbed by this sad coincidence of losing two brothers during the making of these two related movies.

Just a thought I wanted to share.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still in shock. Very sad.

Andy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also still in shock. The brain tumor/no brain tumor business has to be really messing his family up too.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABC made a boo-boo...His familly has denied any brain tumor and ABC has apologized for the wrong info. Confused
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all really sad. I had a friend who committed suicide, and a neighbor who attempted. It's very hard to understand the motivations.

Now I am NOT being funny here, but I immediately recalled The Kink's song "Celluloid Heroes":

". . .And those who are successful,
Be always on your guard,
Success walks hand in hand with failure
Along Hollywood Boulevard."

Hollywood can be a tough place, and even the most successful can have terrible pressures. And I guess sometimes those pressures can be too much.

At first I couldn't understand why he jumped off of the Vincent Thomas Bridge. I mean, why drive from Beverly Hills to San Pedro to do that? And then I read he was going to do a redo of "The Warriors", with a big scene on that bridge. So I guess he had some connection to that edifice.

Anyway, a good talent lost.

Tony
Ki-Djowac
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to his family, his friends, and to Ridley. Sad
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's seems that the note found in his car was just a few phone#of various people to call in case of emergency...nothing about the why Crying or Very sad
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In many cases, there is no why. Or sometimes, no why that might be understandable. Remember that we are not necessarily talking about a "rational" decision. Maybe that is why the (incorrect) "inoperable brain cancer" reason was attractive. It allowed readers to think "well yeah, if I had inoperable brain cancer, I'd do it too. . ."

I am also reminded of a quote from the writer Graham Greene: “However great a man's fear of life, suicide remains the courageous act, the clear-headed act of a mathematician. The suicide has judged by the laws of chance -- so many odds against one that to live will be more miserable than to die. His sense of mathematics is greater than his sense of survival. But think how a sense of survival must clamor to be heard at the last moment, what excuses it must present of a totally unscientific nature.”

I personally believe that we may never understand the reason for this act. We should celebrate his life and work and hope that wherever he has gone, it's to a better place for him.

It is, of course, very hard on the survivors. One the one hand there is a sense of anger "why did he do this to me?" but on the other hand, there is a sense of guilt "why didn't I see this coming and prevent it?" It's something everyone involved will have to deal with for the rest of their lives. And they have my sympathies.

RIP Tony Scott

Tony
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that Tony; suicide is a powerful weapon that answers our 3 basic questions: where, when, how.
Tony Scott' suicide answered these clearly: where (that particular bridge), when (when he arrived at the location) and how (by jumping off the said bridge). "Captain of your soul and master of your destiny" is a phrase that comes to mind in those kind of situations...and as you said, it's the ones remaining behind for whom answers are difficult to answer or difficult to phathom. Besides all of that, we've lost a great artist Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: