FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Information about the builder of the screen-used pistol
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philippes
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's what Mr. Abramson wrote back to me in a private exchange we had on 10/15/2001:

--------------------------
Dear Phil,

Just an aside on the blaster info. As I recall, the decision to go with the Bulldog was made specifically due to it's caliber. No other manufacturer made a small framed .44 special, and it was felt the larger cartridge capacity would allow for chemical for color/flash. The S&W J - frame models top out in .38 Special.

Robby was going to give me some of the finished pyrotechnic rounds as souvenirs, but it never happened. We lost touch, and that was that.

Regards,
Jay
--------------------------

Phil
philippes
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m no longer obsessed with the blaster as I was in the past. Otherwise, I’d call Robbie Knott again and ask him about the guy he subcontracted to do the blaster work. If someone wants to get to the bottom of this mystery once and for all, they need to contact Robbie Knott.

I was always told a Hispanic guy by the name of Frankie had made the gun under Mr. Knott. That could be another wive's tale, however.

Also, in case this fact was lost in my posts, the Steyr Model SL .222 and Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Spl. were ostensibly purchased from B & B Sales in North Hollywood.

Separately, Art Shippee told me the purchase of the guns was made under his FFL (Federal Firearms License). So at some point, if that was indeed true, Art had to go to B & B to present his FFL to make the pruchase and do the transfer.

The only involvement Ellis had—that I was ever told about—was that Leon’s .357 COP ended up there and was sold as part of a lot of guns to Robert E. Peterson (publisher of Guns & Ammo along and numerous other magazines).

Phil
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: HISTORY MYSTERY Reply with quote

Interesting information. Every contribution helps clarify the story. Thanks for repeating that story here.

"The Truth IS Out There" - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phil for that info; as Rep13 said, every piece is a valuable one for us to see what's what.
Phoenixent
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philippes wrote:
I’m no longer obsessed with the blaster as I was in the past. Otherwise, I’d call Robbie Knott again and ask him about the guy he subcontracted to do the blaster work. If someone wants to get to the bottom of this mystery once and for all, they need to contact Robbie Knott.

I was always told a Hispanic guy by the name of Frankie had made the gun under Mr. Knott. That could be another wive's tale, however.

Also, in case this fact was lost in my posts, the Steyr Model SL .222 and Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Spl. were ostensibly purchased from B & B Sales in North Hollywood.

Separately, Art Shippee told me the purchase of the guns was made under his FFL (Federal Firearms License). So at some point, if that was indeed true, Art had to go to B & B to present his FFL to make the pruchase and do the transfer.

The only involvement Ellis had—that I was ever told about—was that Leon’s .357 COP ended up there and was sold as part of a lot of guns to Robert E. Peterson (publisher of Guns & Ammo along and numerous other magazines).

Phil

Well obviously you have info that is incorrect.

The .357 COP did not belong to Ellis or was ever part of their inventory. The weapon was owned by Stembridge Gun Rentals and was the only item ever rented to the film by Stembridge. It was then sold off along with all the non NFA weapons to Robert Peterson.

I know and have worked with Art Shippee and he was an Ellis Mercantile customer so his story is plausable as the production company paid for those weapons.

As for the Hispanic guy named Frankie is like a man with a wooden leg named smith. At the time the film was made there were only three armories and one two had gunsmiths. Stembridge himself confirmed that it was not contracted or built by there people...
philippes
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenixent wrote:

Well obviously you have info that is incorrect.

The .357 COP did not belong to Ellis or was ever part of their inventory. The weapon was owned by Stembridge Gun Rentals and was the only item ever rented to the film by Stembridge. It was then sold off along with all the non NFA weapons to Robert Peterson.

I know and have worked with Art Shippee and he was an Ellis Mercantile customer so his story is plausable as the production company paid for those weapons.

As for the Hispanic guy named Frankie is like a man with a wooden leg named smith. At the time the film was made there were only three armories and one two had gunsmiths. Stembridge himself confirmed that it was not contracted or built by there people...

You're absolutely right about my reference to Ellis. I meant Stembridge when it comes to the COP .357. It was my understanding that Robert E. Peterson got it when he purchased a huge lot of material during the Stembridge liquidation.

I sometimes get confused between those two shops (Ellis and Stembridge), as they went out of business not too many years apart from each other.

Thanks for correcting me.

The photo is no longer there, but here’s a Robert E. Peterson piece that came from his Stembridge acquisitions that is/was on display at the NRA museum:

Click on the link below and then go to "Gunga Din (1939)"
http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/william-b-ruger-special-exhibits/hollywood-guns-2

"Gunga Din (1939)
Colt Gatling Gun - .45-70 caliber

Originally from the venerable J. S. Stembridge Gun 
Rentals at Paramount Studios, this Colt manufactured Gatling gun was used in numerous films, including the 1939 classic Gunga Din starring Cary Grant, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., and Sam Jaffe as the indomitable water bearer originally made famous by Rudyard Kipling.

Loaned by the Estate of Robert E. Petersen"

Phil

Last edited by philippes on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link shows as 404 error, page not found...
philippes
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed it above.

You'll need to go to the following link and then click on "Gunga Din (1939)":

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/william-b-ruger-special-exhibits/hollywood-guns-2

Phil
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS with us Philippes, very interesting
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: