FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Blu Ray
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gomcse
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to hijack this thread...I want to let you know about the soundtrack...so I'll say this about the 30th anniv. Blu-Ray and then make a soundtrack comment.

Newer computer software will not allow you to take screen shots, and the software will force you to update it in order to watch the movie at all. Apparently it's like a virtual machine and the movie plays inside a "black hole" that the operating system is blind to.

Soundrack hijack: The Intrada version is AMAZING. I actually like the vocals better on this than in the official release.

I'm going to mix and match tracks from the Intrada disc and discs 1 & 2 of the official release in order to make a customized "perfect" soundtrack.

Dave
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Sidetrack Soundtrack Reply with quote

Sorry for the additional mis-direct, but I too will comment on INTRADA's re-recording, as I was an early discoverer of their version. It is quite nice - crisp and clear, and no doubt the most loyal re-recording to date, although the vocals do (understandably) differ from the originals - which can be initially distracting, according to taste.

I recently picked up another Vangelis Collection off Amazon- a 2-disc import of various Vangelis selections, including tracks from Blade Runner. As described: "The 'Blade Runner Main Titles' finally include the spectacular start of the movie, which was never before released."

At this point in my BR collection, it's hard to remember what version came from where, but as it includes tracks from several other albums I did not have, it's a nice addition.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled posting . .

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review and FYI gomcse and Rep13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: ART FROM 2019 Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier elsewhere, the "Gallery" included in the new blu-ray set includes a few pieces of art I had not seen before (perhaps pulled from previous sources like the earlier laser disc releases). As well as various Ridleygrams, other storyboards, renderings, fashion illustrations and sketches by Syd Mead, many of the graphics designed by Tom Southwell are shown in their early developmental stages, some with various production notes. Mostly hand-drawn, marker comps as shown in THE BR SKETCHBOOK.

QUICK SAMPLES SNAPPED WITH AN IPHONE –

Obviously numerous names and designs were suggested for the various products and signage, some recognizable, some apparently rejected. It would be interesting if there were some source for ALL of the designs that Southwell and others produced in the effort to populate Ridley's world with sufficient kipple.

Perhaps someday there will be the definitive coffee table book - before they are completely replaced by digital versions or accessed via neural implant . . .

HAB1! - R13
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Can anyone confirm if it is 1080p or fuzzy-p?

Ectropy wrote:
I've been trying to confirm whether the Dangerous Days documentary on Disc 3 is in HD or SD. I'm on the fence about getting this and knowing for sure that it's HD will tip me towards pulling the trigger (ahem). Smile
Ectropy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late response. I gave in and bought the ‘Collector’s Edition’ (the digipak book version with the unicorn cover—not the one with the Spinner toy.)

Warner definitely went cheap on this. The Final Cut and Theatrical/Director’s Cut discs are absolutely identical to the old release. No new encodes here.

Discs 2, 4 and 5 of the old release have been combined onto a single AVC-encoded Blu-Ray disc. Dangerous Days is still SD, but it looks visibly worse than playing the old DVD on a decent upscaling player. The moving titles at the beginning of the documentary show noticeable artifacts and pixelation as if they used the old DVD MPEG2 files for re-encoding instead of going back to the source video elements.

However, the Workprint is encoded in AVC and DTS-HD MA, which may be an improvement over the old VC-1 and Dolby Digital 5.1 disc.

The 1,000 image collection that didn’t make it in the 2007 release is nice, but there isn’t much that hasn't been seen already. Here are some examples that I've captured:

Deckard's Police ID. Nothing new here, but it is higher resolution:

Deckard’s apartment key card (front):

Deckard’s apartment key card (back):

Notice how Deckard’s name is misspelled here, however the key card in the movie is spelled correctly:

Amazon has reinstated this item for sale after pulling it for a week. No explanation as to why it was pulled.

kurtyboy wrote:
Me too. Can anyone confirm if it is 1080p or fuzzy-p?

Ectropy wrote:
I've been trying to confirm whether the Dangerous Days documentary on Disc 3 is in HD or SD. I'm on the fence about getting this and knowing for sure that it's HD will tip me towards pulling the trigger (ahem). Smile

Updated photos with higher quality and corrected errors.

Last edited by Ectropy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Ectropy I'm still on the fence on that collection for the fact that, as you mentioned, they went on the cheap for "Dangerous Days"...
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well screw that. I'm not buying as my only reason would've been for the HD extras (so I can get better reference for my Repdetect file) Sad
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last! The back of the keycard is revealed! Thanks Ectropy Smile

All that mystery and it looks like some random graphic design sample slapped on as a space filler lol!

I might have another pop at making this. Can anybody interpret that scribbled text into text format?
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: KEY FACT Reply with quote

Any new pieces in the puzzle help, keeping in mind (as he said in his comments on the 25th Anniversary disc), Southwell's designs were passed on to be produced by others, once approved, and then various enhancements were sometimes added after-the-fact, per Ridley's final input.

In the case of the Deckard's Key Card, this is a great reference and probably the best we will ever see, but those final touches are anyone's guess.

Now I need to dig out my old ChartPak and Formatt catalogs and see if I can find those pieces Smile - R13
nexusfx
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone had problems with their workprint? Mine seems to be the final cut. I have no new intro, no extended scenes. Nothing. I have the ridley intro to the workprint and the documentary and all that but no workprint version. Kinda bummed as its the only version i havent seen.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: MISSING WORKPRINT Reply with quote

Having so recently purchased and viewed the 25th Anniversary set, I have yet to review all the pieces in the 30th. I was eager to view any new additions, assuming the repeated material was much the same. However a friend said he viewed the workprint and thought it looked slightly improved, so I assumed the set was intact (?)

Now I'm curious. I will have to check . . .

- R13
nexusfx
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wound up calling wbhv asking about it and they've confirmed the issue. If you run across the problem they will replace it no charge. Now I have to wait to see the wp. From what I understand the wp was upgraded to 1080p
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the FYI nexusfx
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: UPGRADED WORKPRINT Reply with quote

Well that explains why my friend thought it looked a bit better.

Now I will have to check my copy . . .

- R13
nexusfx
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: UPGRADED WORKPRINT Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
Well that explains why my friend thought it looked a bit better.

Now I will have to check my copy . . .

- R13

as far as i know they did remaster the workprint. Ill confirm when my new disc comes in. My next door neighbor is a huge br fan as well and has the older workprint.
Ectropy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resolution of the Workprint is 1080p, the same as the old BD set. However, it has been re-encoded in AVC and DTS-HD MA, which are superior codecs. For video, the improvement will be small but noticeable. The audio may be significantly improved from the old lossy Dolby Digital.

The incorrect disc probably explains why Amazon had pulled the set from sale for a while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: