FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Need help identifying rare Blade Runner poster

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheehan
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Need help identifying rare Blade Runner poster Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone can possibly shed some light on this poster.

I have a pretty large collection of original Blade Runner posters, pretty much all versions of the original theatrical posters from all countries. But this one is a bit of a curiosity. As you'll notice, it has the tagline "Metropolis 2020". As many of you probably know, the year 2020 was changed to 2019 during production of the film (the book was set in 1992 if I remember correctly). A few posters slipped though with the wrong date, this being one of them. The only other poster I know with the "2020" mishap is the Japanese poster.

Going by some of the text at the bottom of the poster ("OY LITO-PRINT AB ESPOO 1982"), I think it's from Finland, but I can't find it anywhere on the net. There seems to be absolutely no information about it on vintage poster sites either. I'm curious to know whether or not this was the actual theatrical release poster, a commercial poster, or perhaps a free poster that came with a magazine.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Sheehan on Sat May 30, 2015 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was for the video release.
Sheehan
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
I think that was for the video release.

Possibly, but I think unlikely given the 2020 reference. I think they would have worked out the movies 2019 date by the time of the video release. It is also dated 1982 in the print information at the bottom of the poster..
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the Finish theatrical poster. Lito-Print is a finish print house. The Metropolis 2020 was also on a French poster too IIRC. The date of 2020 was in the script, and some of the press books before they changed it in the film. I also heard that it may have not been corrected for some international releases, because many Japanese books also date the film as set in 2020. May have been an oversight, but it certainly was fixed everywhere to be 2019 by the time of the Video releases a couple years later. Not possible for it to be a video release poster as Sheehan stated, it is also dated 1982 the year of the films release.

Andy

addendum: I looked back at my posters and the French posters all had the 2019 date (as most of the rest that used a setting date), but the Japanese posters also had the 2020 date on them. The Video posters also all seemed to have the John Alvin US poster art internationally. I also fixed the image url tags to let them be seen here.
Sheehan
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
It is the Finish theatrical poster. Lito-Print is a finish print house. The Metropolis 2020 was also on a French poster too IIRC. The date of 2020 was in the script, and some of the press books before they changed it in the film. I also heard that it may have not been corrected for some international releases, because many Japanese books also date the film as set in 2020. May have been an oversight, but it certainly was fixed everywhere to be 2019 by the time of the Video releases a couple years later. Not possible for it to be a video release poster as Sheehan stated, it is also dated 1982 the year of the films release.

Andy

addendum: I looked back at my posters and the French posters all had the 2019 date (as most of the rest that used a setting date), but the Japanese posters also had the 2020 date on them. The Video posters also all seemed to have the John Alvin US poster art internationally. I also fixed the image url tags to let them be seen here.

Brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to identify it! BTW, I've never seen that particular French poster. Do you have a link anywhere?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French poster I was thinking about also happened to be a Finnish poster, that I may have assumed as French, because I had it under 'F' Wink

Here is the classic French poster with the 2019 date, that used the artwork that was used through most of Europe...

And the large billboard version (160x120 inch) used the same artwork as the British quad...

the Japanese poster with artwork also used by Germany and Argentina...

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Andy...funny, but in Brussels (at my local theatre), they used the Alvin poster with French text
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the posters I have is a version of the Alvin art poster with French text, and they decided to extend the end of the barrel of his gun to look like a shotgun. not sure when that poster was used, will have to go back into my files and look for it.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be the one?...

I think this was a Directors Cut version, but not sure. All the DC posters seemed to use the Alvin art.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo Andy! Though I don't remember that "shotgun" look of the Deck's gun Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: