FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Rachael business card

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonedog7563
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Rachael business card Reply with quote

Hi all,

Am in the process of re building a collection of BR prop replicas, I did have a very modest number of items quite a few years back which I (regrettably) sold on so am starting again from scratch.

So thought I would start with the Deckard wallet, I'm on BeastMasters card run over at the RPF, have just received a very nice blade runner shield (not the worldcon version but would like to get hold of one if possible) and am waiting on a tri-fold wallet.

Also been seeing all the nice "wallet stuffing" material thats floating arround including the Rachel Tyrell contact card, so thought it would be a good idea to do a Rachel Tyrell business card.

Will also be on the lookout for a Tomenosuke Blaster (in the U.K.)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/stonedog7563/blade%20runner%20rachael%20card/rachaelcards_zps4eec1d45.jpg

Cheers

John.

Last edited by stonedog7563 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, welcome to Propsummit John ; second, I'm uneasy doing a business card for a Replicant, but also making it as "Rachael Tyrell".

I don't think that jives with the story in general. Now, of course, it's debatable and I'm sure others will chime in Wink
stonedog7563
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
First, welcome to Propsummit John ; second, I'm uneasy doing a business card for a Replicant, but also making it as "Rachael Tyrell".

I don't think that jives with the story in general. Now, of course, it's debatable and I'm sure others will chime in Wink

Thanks for the welcome joberg.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to propsummit John.

I think it is pretty cute idea and I love it. I also have to disagree with joberg, at least slightly. She did share the name with the Tyrell character in the book, but his name was Rosen. I find since she probably was employed at the corporation, and was under the impression she was his niece, so using the name and creating the card works for me. Still the relationship really wasn't all that spelled out in the film as it was in the book, so another name might also work. I still think of her as Rachael Rosen, because of the book actually using her full name, and the film never did.

Andy
stonedog7563
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andy and thanks for the welcome.

That's pretty much how I looked at it, even though she was a replicant (though unbeknown to her) I assumed she held some sort of employed position within the company (Dr Tyrells PA perhaps)

Have to admit to not having read the book, something I should maybe remedy.

John
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree with Andy...slightly. I was going by the movie and not the book.
I mean, here's an android with a business card Rolling Eyes or to take Rutger's idea: " A dishwasher with a business card" Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She doesn't know she is a Replicant, she thinks she is an employee, and Tyrell's niece very likely. Not having business cards would throw the ruse off pretty quickly. Just like Leon's photos, it would help give her a sense of identity and purpose that would keep her in line, and under the control of Tyrell as his employee.

Andy
stonedog7563
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was basing the card on the film character too, having not read the book, as yet, and was filling in the blanks as I imagined them to be (Rachael's possible given role within a corporation) it was an idea while I was printing off a contact card to stuff in the wallet, I don't see why its so far fetched seeing as we are talking about a film that deals with a replicant that has been given memories (a past/history) and as far as she is concerned has no reason to believe she is anything but human (until Deckard opens his big mouth of course) talking of which, depending on which version of the film you favour and how you interpret it, is it hard to accept that a replicant carries a gun and police ID and hunts replicants ??? its just a case of De gustibus non est disputandum.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, taste cannot be disputed...but I do believe (in the movie) that Tyrell produced Rachael as a "Test Rep" for the sake of the V.K. interview.

If she passes, Tyrell Corp will produce more of these Reps.
If there's no difference between her and the others, it will need refinements and production will be delayed.
PoD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the business card would have been something that she would have had (if they used business cards still). I am certainly making one for my wallet. It would go a long way to explaining how Deckard got Rachael's number when he called her from Taffy's club. Although in that scene he only seems to be holding her photo on top of his wallet rather than a contact card.

The picture that she shows to Deckard later in the film suggests that she had been furnished with ephemera to back up her implanted memories. If Tyrell had gone so far as to supply her with photographs of her past then he would certainly have given her items to support her current role within the company.

I am curious to understand why you believe Rachael was produced for the V.K. interview Joberg. Is this something covered in the book or some version of the film other than the final cut or the original theatrical release (I haven't seen the workprint just yet)? I had assumed she had been with Tyrell a while as his P.A. from watching the movies I have seen. I figured she was kind of an ongoing experiment. It would be a lot of work to get her up and running and furnish her with clothes, personal items etc. between the time when Holden was shot and Deckard arrived to do the interview (although I suppose its never explained just how long that time period was). Thats not to say you are wrong I was just intrigued by the idea she had been switched on/launched/born (or however a replicant starts its "life") just before Deckard arrived
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoD, you're raising valid comments/ideas about the movie and its characters.
This is just my opinion of Rachael and how Tyrell Corp would've operated.

When does the "On Day" starts for a Replicant is never mentioned in the book or the film; they just appear with those implanted memories, photographs they collect, clothes, etc. (Rachael phone number and address is at the back of the pic showing a "young" Rachael and her Mother btw).

I always felt that Tyrell was using the BR Unit and its V.K. questions to test how far his technology would advance and to a certain extent trying to fool them, or Tyrell's clients, into believing that what they had in front of them was "more human than human". Tyrell asks Deckard, how many questions does it take, normally, to detect a Replicant. Rachael went beyond what's "normally" used by the V.K. test. I think Tyrell was very proud of himself saying: "look what I'm capable of producing!"

Difficult to respond to the question of Rachael being some kind of admin. person working for Tyrell personally, since this is not explored in the movie either.
PoD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just rewatching blade runner and Bryant mentions that 3 nights ago the replicant tried to break into the Tyrell building so he sent Holden over to investigate the new workers. I suppose this means that when Deckard performs his interview it is just a couple of days at most after the Holden incident.

I had wondered what was on the back of Rachael's photograph. I couldn't make it out. Has anyone worked out the actual text yet?

I suppose part of the thing that could back up your theory of Rachael being activated just before the VK interview with Deckard is that she would have been tested by Holden had she been around earlier (unless she wasn't a new employee and had indeed been working with Tyrell for a while so was off the radar so to speak).

This is why I love Blade Runner..it has you constantly questioning what could be going on in the background Wink
PoD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think it is her number on the back of the photo. The number Deckard dials on the Vid-Phon at Taffy's bar is 555-7583 which doesn't seem to be on the back of the photograph.

[/img]
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected; you're right for the # at Taffy's. It's another phone# at the back of the pic Deckard is holding.

As for this conversation, I think it's more suited in the General Discussion.
Please Mods, would it be possible to put it over there?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: