FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Syd Mead Concept Blaster Version 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about "Concept" weaponry, is that there is a lot of room for interpretation on how the gun functions and what the details mean. I kind of miss the days before the Worldcon pictures, and even Richard Coyle's version of Deckard's gun, when people felt free to make up the gun as they went along, totally out of their imaginations. There were so many cool versions out there back then. Kind of along the lines of how many people made their own Light Saber cut away versions, with different internal parts. There is no Canon on how these guns were meant to operate in the Blade Runner universe. I say speculate away and add your own touches and see what you come up with. Keep up the good work both of you.

Andy
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/chroniclecollectibles/photos/a.1396589183934256.1073741828.1396578460601995/1486438318282675/?type=1&theater

Licensed = much more expensive than the kit, what a downer Sad
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah was a bit bummed to see that.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Licensed in this case will mean better prices more likely, because they will be made in higher numbers and sold worldwide. At least that is the gist I get from Shawn and Rick.

Andy
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. I thought we were getting them from Shawn.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty indeed Cool
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most of you have seen the news, and it is true that I will not be offering this replica myself.

Here's how version 2.0 of an intended garage kit became a licensed piece.

Rick and I had already been at work on the new model when I was informed that Chronicles had a deal to license the piece through Syd himself. I immediately reached out to Chronicles to see if this was going to cause any problems for them. Their response was great, saying it wouldn't be an issue as Syd was going to design the *other* side of the piece, which would make my version more of a personal interpretation and a lot less canon. I started putting up a few photos on my FB page and when these found their way back to Chronicles and eventually Syd himself, I was approached and asked if I would consider doing the piece for them. The very first kit I produced almost 13 years ago is still on Syd's mantle, and Syd liked the idea of my involvement. Of course I agreed and still planned to offer my own version. As the piece started to take shape, the reaction was so positive that it was decided to leave the design as is. Given that the two pieces wouldn't be significantly different after all, there was no reason for me to do my own run. That was part of it. There are other factors as well. Like time, which is the one resource I don't have much of these days. That said, the two biggest factors are quality and cost. There's just no way I could make these things as nice as I'd like and still make them affordable. This wasn't going to be a one piece solid piece of resin. It would be hollow, with electronics, a display stand, etc. I will be working with Chronicles to include all of these elements into the final product and I'm sure that the final piece will be exceptional in every way.

The people who know me know that I make props because I love to build them. Money isn't what motivates me. It's seeing the end result of a process that starts with a design and ends with something you can hold in your hand and put on display that makes you feel good when you look at it. And for me, getting the approval from Syd Mead, an artist who I hold in such regard and respect really trumps everything else.

So, no, there won't be a run from me, but that's really not a bad thing.
sean
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shawn. I'm actually very excited for you. If It were me I would be hoping around proud. any chance of when a price may be set for this gun?
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Shawn That is awesome for you! And us.... If I can summon the God of Moolah when it becomes availiable, it's a must have! Looking forward to seeing more...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really is the best news possible. Especially in a day and age when normally you would have just got a cease and desist order from a lawyer instead. I think it is a huge honor to both you and Rick, two of the true "Good Guys" of this hobby. I hope this sells well enough that other items will be made down the road with you guys as the team with Syd. I can only dream, but sometimes these dreams do seem to come true.

Congratulations!
Andy
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That means a lot. Sean: I don't know what the anticipated price point it, that'll be worked out soon, I'm sure.

Andy: I've already been asked what I'd like to work on next. We'll see what happens. Working with Rick has been everything I ever thought it would. I've been a huge admirer of his for years now, and I hope that when time permits he'll return to complete the 3 other BR variants he has in the works.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for this. SO excited!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sooo good: Rick and morganthirteen together + the Syd Mead gun...what else would you ask for Cool
Ruprekt
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, cool as this thing is am I the only one who thinks it looks like a hair dryer?
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Shawn for the update and the report. I'm very happy to see how everything developped and I'm really looking forward to see the final product.

Congratulations!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never put those two design together Ruprekt...but you got a point Very Happy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, cool as this thing is am I the only one who thinks it looks like a hair dryer?

Definitely not, Ruprekt.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: DEJA VU Reply with quote

Skimming PS, I was surprised to stumble across this thread. Congratulations Shawn! GREAT NEWS!

Like many here, I have always been fascinated by Syd Mead's take on the props and weapons his influence on the look of the film. As the owner of one of Shawn's earlier build ups of his Mead Blaster, this new effort is what I had hoped might eventually happen. I look forward to its release.

For anyone here who might not be aware of Mr. Morgan's efforts, I can only give my highest praise. Even working within the limitations of materials and handwork back then, the earlier version is still a prize -

I must echo Andy's enthusiasm regarding the decision to license this project. Good news!

HAB1! - Replicant 13
Harada357

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Concept Blade Runner Pistol - Shawn and Rick Reply with quote

I missed Shawn's first run on this kit - and waited many years to see a follow up. I will be anxiously waiting for the piece to become available. AWESOME rendition - as usual. As for Rick Ross - I just picked up his version of Zhoras Pistol - it is flippin amazing!

Thanks guys - more pics !!!

Gordon
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: