FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Design Thread: Nostromo interiors and deck configurations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me take a look at it. I think I have some updates, though minor. I'll post a link when it's ready. (Woohoo!)
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, uh, ahem, understand there's been an update at The Nostromo Files blog, guys...

Embarassed
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenGiddel86 wrote:
I, uh, ahem, understand there's been an update at The Nostromo Files blog, guys...

Embarassed

And nicely formatted too!

Good to see things are moving forward...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed!! Cool
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, right now working on C-Deck.

There appears to be three larger cargo holds / garages in the movie:-

1. One that Ripley walks into with the motion tracker whilst she, Brett and Parker are looking for the alien.

2. One that Brett enters whilst looking for Jones;

3. One that Parker and Lambert enter whilst looking for Oxygen Cylinders.

For the filming of the movie, they are all the same garage with various things moved around. For the ship design, they seem to be all different by looking at the entrance and corridor immediately outside the garage.

For (1.), there is a ladder / companionway directly outside the door out in the corridor. Opposite the garage entrance is a small store room / workshop that the three crewmembers go into to find the cat.

For (2.), there is a ladder / companionway again directly outside the door out in the corridor, but as Brett enters the garage, there doesn't appear to be a door behind him at the other side of the corridor, rather a wall containing lockers. This means that it's likely a different garage leading to the undercarriage room.

For (3.), there is no ladder / companionway. Parker and Lambert seem to be able to wheel their cart carrying the cylinders from the garage straight into the workshop / storage opposite. Also as they enter this smaller room, no ladder can be seem in the corridor behind them. So this means another, third garage.

So moving forward....it is near impossible to fit three large garages inside the Nostromo and the same size whilst keeping everything to scale. So, I'm working on the assumption that Garage 2 is the biggest - leads to the undercarriage room and houses bigger equipment such as the helijet. Also leads to another larger airlock chamber that lowers down to the surface similar to the design on the Prometheus.

Garage 3 is slightly smaller, holding a helijet (Lambert boards it to retrieve the cylinders) and other surveying equipment.

Garage 1 I'm figuring to be the smallest of the three, longer and thinner. Larger door at one end, smaller crew entry at the other.

Right now I've loosely drawn the three up, and by viewing the movie looking at corridor routes crew take etc, I'm trying to locate them as best I can on the ship that works with what we see in the movie. After that, I'll likely put a smaller still, fourth hold on the ship too. I've also loosely placed the large Fusion Reactor chamber that the Engine Room overlooks.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing your plans SJ Wink
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darrell, you remember my email about the Nostromo 'feet' and how they reversed the triangle 'block' that connects the foot to the hydraulic?
You can see it very well in this bottom shot in Fred's post. This is why people cannot get the 3d CGI model of the foot to retract properly (so the foot is perfectly vertical)...for the undercarriage room set, they reversed the block so that the hydraulic doesn't clash with the foot itself.

-SJ

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?p=62125#62125
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two months gone already, where does time go...

A C-Level 'sneak-peek'... still lots to do and it's a jumbled mess figuring what works, what doesn't, and how each area relates to each other and what we see in the movie. In fact in this shot, one can see how at the lower parts of the ship, the hull outline is smaller (you can see an outline from higher up in the ship too).

One tricky part is the store room and garage around where the crew see the acid end it's path vertically through the ship. I still need to develop it further. You can see outlines of the Infirmary from A-Deck (shown as a placeholder so I could try to plot the path of the acid) and the Engine Room toward the back near the big Reactor Chamber.

More soon...feel free to ask questions.

[/url]
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking very good already Cool Keep up the good work SJ!
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work SJ.

Will your plans be more of an 'overall' layout deck by deck or will you do individual rooms as sub drawings?

I guess that's a lot of work!

I suppose what I'm trying to say is how detailed are you going to go?

Colin

Ash: Micro changes in air density.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8th_Passenger wrote:
Nice work SJ.

Will your plans be more of an 'overall' layout deck by deck or will you do individual rooms as sub drawings?

I guess that's a lot of work!

I suppose what I'm trying to say is how detailed are you going to go?

Colin

Colin,

I'll keep it simple initially as the plan is to show all decks, then take it from there; when the first draft is complete, I'll see how small I can get each plan on the sheet with detail added while still ensuring it remains legible.

To some extent I'll need to do it fairly detailed as sometimes it helps to judge scale for some areas compared to others, but may have to take some detail off for the above reason. I have a section through the ship underway too to help me figure out where some areas are vertically i.e. the Engine Room compared to the Reactor Chamber.

kepi13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we to assume that the floorplan in Alien: Isolation DLC's "Crew Expendable" and "Last Survivor" are accurate depictions of the deck layouts? In particular is the fact that in "Crew Expendable" the airlock seems to be facing outwards on the Starboard side. Of note is that when Kane's body is ejected from the ship it is seen passing underneath the Narcissus shuttle, which would mean that the Narcissus would be facing into the Nostromo's starboard side rather than facing towards the bow as often depicted.

Or the game could be wrong, it is a game after all Laughing I have also put together an image of each deck as it is in Alien: Isolation. A couple of rooms on B Deck are missing but the layout was too big to capture in one go. The weird layout of the image is due to my attempt at placing the decks in the correct way i.e. A Deck's ladder to B Deck is (more or less) correctly in line.

[/img]

Sorry if the image is too large
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

First: Apologies, brothers! I fell off the notification list somehow and didn't get emails when these posts came down. (You know I wouldn't ignore such tasty treats as these, now dontcha?)

Graham: I do see what you're talking about now RE: the landing leg. I think your due diligence to screen proofs versus actual spatial possibilities is right on track. A bit of artistic license to fudge things toward believable won't hurt. (I cringe when I see Millennium Falcon blueprints with usable spaces along the circumference of the ship, when you'd have to be an Ugnaught to fit in there.)

Meanwhile, I'm very excited to see these "Other Places" videos from Alien Isolation posted to YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1AGWXNmLZQ

Let's guys like me live vicariously through those playing the game. Some great ideas shown.

If any of you have seen the "art of" book for the game, would you say it's a good buy even if you don't play the game? Would appreciate your opinions.

Cheers!
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
...feel free to ask questions.

Yes, please!

1. I like the detail you've started in the engine space. The trapezoid(?) pattern matches the model, I believe.

2. Interesting that Level C would have less space than an upper deck area. However, maybe the spaces are deeper/taller and multi- or split-level?

3. The space on the starboard side of the forward hull (the 'head')...looks to be good sized. And the slender rectangle alongside it. What's your idea there?

4. The smaller squares (look like Space: 1999 Eagle pods Smile ), of which I count 5. What are they?

5. I like the idea of several garages and that we may have actually seen into them during the initial hunt for the alien.

6. Internal symmetry is balanced so far and I'm sure you've got your hands full finding room and relationships for all those spaces.

7. I think I see the personnel lift by the landing claw chamber. Seems to roughly match the position on your exterior blueprints, not sure though.

Looks like you've got a lot of 'good cooking' going on here, bud!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard kepi13...good questions for sure and thanks for that screen cap of the game. Opens more questions of course Wink
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kepi13 wrote:
Are we to assume that the floorplan in Alien: Isolation DLC's "Crew Expendable" and "Last Survivor" are accurate depictions of the deck layouts?

No worries, kepi13! Welcome and thanks for posting the pics. I've been trying to figure out where that airlock is located for years now.

The deck layouts give plenty of ideas for that, though.
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've missed this place :-]

I'm not sure exactly how accurate the Alien Isolation game maps are, but I was playing on one of the DLC maps and took some caps of one of the landing struts. It may be pure speculation of the part of the game devs, but I figured it might give some insight into an area of the ship that isn't seen in the movie.

I thought that desktop model was kinda cute :-]

BTW....shortly after taking these caps, I got capped :-]

BTW #2 The distortion seen in some of the caps is due to the "condensation" dripping on your face and head.

FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics, Cold Canuck! Figures you'd get it while enjoying the view. Shocked
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics dude...TFS with us Cool
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for falling off the radar...I caught the flu a couple of days before Christmas and it took me well over 2 weeks to get through it. Since then I've been playing catch-up on various things.

The short answer to the Alien: Isolation map accuracy question is that the A-Deck is the most accurate, with amendments made to the bridge, corridor length and space / emergency suit areas (i.e. the ladders) which I and others have spoken about before on this thread. B and C are inaccurate when you think about how it all fits within the confines of the ship in terms of the layout (go back to my previous post about the hull). But visually it's superb....if for instance you looked at a chunk of machinery in the C-Deck corridor, you'll likely see it in the movie. I do love the way they have handled the 'extra' rooms we don't see in the movie.

I do hope we see more from Creative Assembly.
I didn't see the Nostromo model in the DLC, I'll have to play again to find it. Anyways, I'll be sure to post a better message over the weekend and will answer Fengiddle's questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 10 of 27

Jump to: