FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Ad's Scale Model Nostromo Interiors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Ad's Scale Model Nostromo Interiors Reply with quote

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/sets/72157648595457879/

I have constructed over a bit of time some interior rooms of the Nostromo, i have yet to connect them with Corridor sections, but it's work in progress. Currently i am working on the Main Airlock/Shuttle Hatch vestibule, after this i may begin on Ash's Blister or some Corridor sections and Junction.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the url. You don't need the tags unless you are implanting/hiding the url in word or shortcut. The hotlinking is built into the bbs programming.

Andy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive work here!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort in trying to reproduce those corridors (Lord knows they can be difficult to see and pinpoint in the movie). Like the landing gear also.
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many Thanks for the URL item, Andy. i am really "Feeling my way in the dark" here having not been in forums before--although i have visited them! I would like to post some photos of my work but the "Uploading tool" rejects my pictures as they are over 1.4mb, i think i need some help there...

Thanks for the approval guys, I update my Flickr "Nostromo Album" on a regular basis so you are welcome to stop by The corridors are tricky in the sense of repetitiveness so one would have to cut up a vast stockpile of floor and wall panelling and either paint before assembly or paint after assembly! The actual dimensions are fairly easy as the whole Nostromo Interior concept is Octagonal (excepting Medical & Engineering) i would like to make my Nostromo Layout as "Portable" as possible and follow the Soundstage Principal in Miniature otherwise floor space at home is going to be very limited!! I have seen other folks creations of Nostromo interiors and i am always amazed by the hard graft, ingenuity and a certain attention to detail and to me an inspiration as well!! (y)
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can see it--Is a small section of Corridor outside the Autodoc, 1st i will construct the flooring units, then the Bulkhead framing, the wall panels and finally the roofing. i may do a stack of panels, add the details prime and paint them up before construction--there really isn't a quick way of doing this--but starship corridors however cool they look are agonizingly repetitive to build but afterward immensely satisfying to finish

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15126728583/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right you are about the repetitive nature of the corridors (bad for the mind) but as soon as you see the result (specially with a pic or two) you're glad that you did the hard work Cool
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one of the members real good --and i mean REAL Good hard work on the scale model of the Nostromo Bridge, all due care and attention was paid to detail and i am pretty sure once in a while you look at your shaking tired hands, puddles of liquid brain on the work surface and wonder...Why? I have had a few of those moments and forced myself to stop work and resume the next day, despite the model sitting there nearby drawing my attention from either the TV or family--so unfair! but i think its a sense of Creation, what you are building was once inside your mind, the angles, details etc etc, manifests itself into three dimesnsions and that brings along a sense of faith and nuturing and when other folk see your efforts the feelings and trials can be so worthwhile.
Working with hard board can be a trial and go thru a lot of scalpel blades and trying not to get high on hot glue or Cyanoacrylate, and yelling at why the adhesive despite pouring gallons of the stuff onto the cardboard isnt sticking ( sucking it all up like a sponge, until i worked out to lick the join edges and the glue bonds instantly....) and waiting impatiently for it to set and dry before applying the primer then the weathering...oh the joys of creation
Isnochys79
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I have missed your topic ?? Once again fantastic job and great to read about your experience and feelings. My worst time was when I had to cut about three hundreds different pieces of cardboard to complete the surface of my Nostromo model. That was the day I wondered WHY ???
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same feeling about my 2001 A Space Odyssey space station Wink
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats going to be an awesome build Joberg, and if it's gonna be made of cardboard--"You have my sympathies" but the end result will be so worth it--I am sure we are frustrated engineers in some guise where we throw ourselves into this crazyness but the rewards are well worth it and a challenge and realization to overcome. don't forget to stock up on Scalpel blades, and plenty Cyanoacrylate Glue! A big thumbs up for your project Joberg!
I am starting on the wall panels immediately outside the Autodoc as a "test run" very little if no published photo's exists of this part of the Nostromo Set except very diligent observation of the Blu Ray with lots pausing, My blue prints are no good as they are pre-production anyway, but i think i may just get it right. In the Alien isolation game i had a good look about the Nostromo Missions levels and whilst the Layout is generally correct the actual room detailing and layout isnt correct and largely conjectural--explain the Railroad wagon sitting in the Garage Bay?? the atmosphere and general feel is spot on but i would not rely on it for any valuable referencing.
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnochys79--I would have cried, collapsed and watch my brains ooze out of my nose doing those Exterior panels of the Nostromo--but the effort is magnificent and of a high standard, the "bendy pipe" scenario is very familiar and irritating as you try a clean bend, but with a bit of creative furtiveness you can get away with it (y) A hearty black-slap to you sir for your fantastic work on The Nostromo!
For pipes and corridor "Padding" i use various sizes of rubber wire coating, with a nifty slit and extraction of the bare wire you have a length of piping or corridor/bulkhead "Padding" and painted up looks the job! otherwise you could spend months carving and sculpting cardboard. the only challenge if at all is the gluing of the wire "Piping" into place as it sometimes wants to naturally take its bendy shape, a bit of slight heating ( and i mean slight) from a lighter will straighten out any offending "piping"
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started work on the A'Level Corridor outside The Autodoc room, the 1st phase of the floor decking is complete, now i am setting up the base-wall panelling in preparation of corridor padding and encrustation of pipes etc. As you can see i am working on one side of the corridor then before installation i shall work on the other side of the corridor then fixing that into place. finally the roofing panel will be added--this will be detachable.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15601848008/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15167814743/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking good already
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another view of the A' Level Corridor, Primer base applied and awaiting detailing to add as well as the floor decking to be finished. i will add the other wall (with detail added) for ease of access. I have also started preliminary work on the Nostromo Survey Buggy which i will place in the Main Airlock vestibule and maybe if and when i build the Garage Bay Diorama i can add it in there!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15181548594/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff; keep up the great work
Isnochys79
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked I am so impressed with the details and the true passion you put in your models. And you are making the buggey too
Do the garage bay diorama... please just do it Wink
Btw, your buildings models are fantastic too. I am a huge fan of classic sfx disaster movies and your models would be perfect for miniature effects.
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks Isnochys79, I normally build scale maquettes of buildings, but its always fun to expand into scale modelling of interiors! Yes the Nostromo Survey Buggy is quite a funny little vehicle having been moved about a lot during production, one scene has it sitting in the Main Airlock Vestibule, another has it hidden behind a doorway, and two locations in the Garage Bay, i quite like the encrusted detailing given to this little vehicle and i though why not make one and add it to the Nostromo Dioramas?!

Here is the latest shot of the Survey Buggy, work still in progress!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15633256709/

And i quite look forward to any potential future Nostromo interiors you may build! (y)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buggy is looking good already Cool
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Joberg, its slowly getting there as its quite tiny the detailing can be fiddly.
Here is Yesterday's photo of the Buggy so far:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15206983264/

As you can see i have added two Camera units and fitted in the chair ( A standard Nostromo chair with removed headrest ) and safety straps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: