View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fiddly" is the right word, specially at that scale Wink
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a little break i started work on the other side of the vehicle, added some basic wiring to the cameras, I am aiming to get the Basic detailing complete and paint up the vehicle in primer by weeks end and proceed from there!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15681804757/

Today's view of Survey Buggy..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15253377634/

A playful shot of the Buggy in the Main Airlock vestibule, based on a "Blink, you'll miss" shot after Kane's death of the crew wandering about the B' Level corridors and as the camera pans across you get a glimpse of the Main Airlock Vestibule with the buggy sitting inside ( actually the Mess Room locale being dismantled to be fitted as the Airlock vestibule, as further along you can see a ladder at the far end BEYOND the Main Airlock hatchway in about where the Hypersleep chamber would have been) One of Ridley's cram 'em in to make it look like a busy companionway type shots.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good in situ Cool
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol--Many Thanks Joberg. i did another shot matching as close as possible the scene immediately after Kane's demise as the crew wander about the echoey corridors.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15260331374/

....and the primer undercoat applied to the vehicle, I'll add another layer then apply some Ochre coloring then weather the vehicle and take it from there! I am seriously umming and aahing about building the "Tractor" Unit that Brett briefly runs about trying to get at Jones......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15260268464/
Isnochys79
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on the corridor and the buggy is fantastic !!
Be warned, if you built the tractor, you have to build the "helicopter" too
(the one where Lambert and Parker get the coolant) Wink

Just in case you need buggy painting references, these photos are cool ...

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool pics Isnoshys79 Cool
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks Isnochys79--much appreciated
I have an archive of photos of the sets of Alien and Blueprints, as well as the usual Internet hoard from Google--but shots of the The Garage-Bay is a most fascinating locale in terms of equipment, and they seem to be moved about a lot during the filming process. Near the Buggy and doorway are 2 smaller tracked pieces of machinery (see below)
The "helicopter" VTOL vehicle i have some photos of and a Ron Cobb conceptual sketch ( see below) is quite a weird craft. i am very seriously tempted with the Survey "Tractor" Unit, But i must carry on and finish off my A' Level Corridor section--Its all too easy to sail off and start on another build--Very tempting!!
I am studying the layout blueprint of the Garage bay and need to make sure i build the set to the same scale as the buggy! Anyhoo--Many thanks for your input guys very much appreciated and enjoy the photo's below of the garage Bay (y)
Oh for god's sake--this "Upload" tool is useless!! so sorry for this Sad
Bear with me....
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting there....

Last edited by Ads1066 on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then, ok here are the Photos of the Garage Bay and the Ron Cobb Concept VTOL sketches as promised:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15871090896/
Side view of Tractor Unit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15274637354/
B/W shot of Tractor and 2 smaller tracked units.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15896905235/
Overhead shot of Garage Bay.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15894908451/
Color shot of Garage Bay--you can see the "Helicopter" unit on the left hand side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15871085406/
Side view of Vtol "Helicopter" vehicle Ron Cobb Sketch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15896899195/
Front View of Vtol "helicopter" vehicle Ron Cobb Sketch.

These shots are pretty good in the sense of seeing the garage Bay set being constructed and the typical quality of intense detailing of set dressing that would hardly be glimpsed in the final Movie, Amazing.
Isnochys79
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the ones showing the set on construction.
You are right, that's a huge amount of work and details for two scenes
where, finally you can't see so much.
I think at the movie producers who didn't understand
why so much money was spent on sets.
But Ridley was right (as for Blade Runner).
35 years later we are still talking and modeling them
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Isnochys79, it's the "Not What You See" that i think matters, what made 'Alien' different from other movies ( Star Wars is a close 2nd ) and for Blade Runner too was the ridiculous attention to detailing which would not be relevant to the final movie print, but i feel with that much detailing gives the movie a level of believability and "life" and that's the attitude i try to convey when i build a Project or Diorama and i clearly see other folk here doing too--its what the folks don't see in my creations that makes it satisfying for me. I hate to watcha movie and spot the "Blurbs" like Oh--thats the back of a TV set there...Oh! thats a Beer Crate...oh look! a bread basket crate!! the god awful James Cameron 'Aliens' movie has quite a few of these glitches (amongst others...) which i find disappointing--the "Spray up and turn upside down and hope no-one notices" aspect i find really awful and bad propdressing/modelling attitude. Ok 'Alien' did slip up a couple times--the most noticable being the Control panel Ripley uses in the Narcissus Shuttle as she tries to expel The Alien from its lair--lazyness personified--as hasty silvered over model kit frame work hoved into view!! lololol
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Narcissus set was a mish-mash of many set pieces put together at the last moment if my memory serves me well.
As for the kit sprues in that shot, not a lot of people noticed (during the show); it's just us crazies that'll notice
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the pictures, Ads1066! Cool stuff, all!
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome FenGiddel86, I have many years accumulated photos and bits and pieces of the Alien movie and i hungrily await the eventual release of Bob Penn's Archival Alien movie photographs--once the copyrighting has been sorted out!! so much more worthwhile than the recent "Archive" book by titan press--a disappointment......

Yes the Narcissus set was constructed on the site of the previous Bridge set, along with lots of various rooms "Doubling Up" for budget and schedule reasons--the Auto Doc becoming the Engineering room, The Mess Room becoming the Main Airlock vestibule, various sections of corridor being resprayed and bits bolted on from the skip etc etc.
It's partially why i want my model sections of The Nostromo to be able to do a similar thing, basically a scale model of the interior sets at Shepperton!
also as the schedule "went over" the crew decamped to Bray Studios for the cocoon scene and the final scenes in the Narcissus which involved rebuilding the interior and a large near-scale external rear view of the shuttle craft for the finale shots. ( see photo below) the "replication" of sprues and slightly obvious bread delivery baskets can be excused in certain budgetry and schedule constraints but it pushes "Fictional" credibility to a certain limit for us keen-eyed Crazies and Enthusiasts can only see, though with 'Alien' the set dressings were so rich and tactile i suppose a little brevity can be excused

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15921225725/
Narcissus set being re-constructed at Bray Studios.
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Progress report--The latest bit of work on my A' Level Corridor section. minor detailing, darkening and weathering added. next stage is to start on the Other side panels before finally adding the (detachable) roofing panelling complete with Ceiling TV Monitors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15936099711/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job! Really FAB at every level (love the decals details as well Cool )
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks joberg, plodding along slowly!! My next project after the A' Level corridor and finishing off the Survey Buggy will be the Nostromo Garage Bay Room with a small section of C' Level corridor. i have drawn up a schematic of the Garage bay ( see below ) but will work to the scale of the Buggy so it will be quite big, but the wall panels and flooring will be detachable for ease of storage. Having already done the Buggy, i will build the other vehicles first, then the floor decking and work up from there. the C' Level Corridor and "Ladder Junction" will off the possibility of constructing the Equipment locker at a later date.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15951380832/
Isnochys79
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work on the A level Corridor.Love your schematic sheet 1 ! It's a good thing to think about detachable parts for easy storage. Two questions regardind this schematic : where is located the equipement room ? and do you have any idea where are the Lambert and Parker bodies situated when seen by Ripley in the Garage Bay ?
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnochys79 wrote:
where is located the equipement room ? and do you have any idea where are the Lambert and Parker bodies situated when seen by Ripley in the Garage Bay ?

Different garage; there is more than one on the Nostromo. Check out one of my posts here....

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=3017&start=180

Your model is looking superb - I had to look twice at one A-level corridor shot, I thought it was a set photo at first! Nice work.

I too love the blueprint, it shows you are studying it at great length. One point on the 'ladder' in the middle going horizontally full length of the garage; if you got that from the movie, take another look, as it may actually be the track used to mount and move the filming camera along.

Wonderful work once again.
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks Isnochys79 and Space Jockey. Keeping to the Shepperton Studio Sets there was only one Garage Bay constructed along with the "Claw Room". for the size of space and economy during filming much of the interior sets were able to be moved about giving variety to the different scenes required. The track in the Garage Bay was indeed the camera dolly track which breifly you see Brett ( Harry Dean Stanton) slightly step over as he walks deeper into the chamber.

Isnochys79--The Equipment Locker where Ripley, Parker and Brett find the Cat and later where Parker and Lambert are ambushed by The Alien is exactly opposite the entrance to the Garage Bay. again the interior of this room was moved about ( modular design) for the sake of variety--when Ripley and co visit this room there is a table visible, stacks of gas bottles and "Shark" storage cases stacked up nicely. Now, when Parker and Lambert "Check for bottles" the table is clearly gone and the bottles have been stashed into the alcoves and a Box-Like winking chest from the bridge has been installed between Lambert and the Doorway, where parker is has been stuffed full of hanging EVA suits--also the ladderway between the Garage Bay and Equipment Locker has been removed for ease of the trolley Lambert was pushing loading up with bottles. The bodies of Lambert and Parker were located just near to the doorway, Yaphett was slumped against a bulkhead and Veronica was strapped into climbing gear and suspended from the partition bulkhead facing away from the doorway from a meat hook. Also when Brett is sent off to look for the cat he appears back in the equipment locker where a ladder has been installed where the table was moments ago!! as he walks from there thru the doorway into the Garage Bay whispering for Jones facing the camera.

An element of filming and using movie sets has a massive bag of artistic license which doesnt sadly always match exterior and interior shots--the models of the Nostromo with its interior does no way match for a variety of reasons, Micheal Seymour wanted to build the sets 3 stories high but budegetry and praticality issues sunk that idea, so to overcome this "Modular" rooms and sets were constructed to compensate for this coupled with Ridleys constant "modifications" of the Nostromo filmed at Bray Studios compromised alot of the interior sets and one is assumed not to really notice the many indescripences. Alien has lots of "odd" shots that the nerd and enthusiasts such as us lot should notice quite a lot. I have based my Nostromo interiors on the studio sets at Shepperton and like the originals i have built them in a modular fashion for variety. Your work on the Nostromo interior schematics is most admirable Space Jockey my level of attention just cannot match the sets to the Imagined Nostromo layout and thats where you step in dear sir!! Thats why when i watch movies or TV programs i try really hard not to bother matching exterior with interior otherwise in a bevvy of disappointment and pain and ignore the conundrum!!

Many thanks for your appreciation guys its much valued and i positively love the enthusiasm and dedication we all put into our creations as well as creating a world beyond Shepperton!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: