FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Design Thread: Nostromo interiors and deck configurations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some A-level footage from the USCSS Torrens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrEm9neZtfQ

If you can, remember to max out the playback to 1080 and full-screen...it looks a little better that way.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that C.C. Man, I think that I'm going to end up buying this game after all Wink
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that a lot of people, myself included, are having crash or freeze issues.
I'f I was you...and you get the game, turn OFF auto updates for the game, at least until this nonsense is over.
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some claw room footage....upper level only.

http://youtu.be/yBptBYrV2mc
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you roasted the beast quite a few times there...thanks for posting, the sets are really great
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks....the Alien got the last laugh, though....he's bound to when you run around like I was doing....thought you might get a kick out of that attack from the ceiling vent :-]
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been giving SpaceJockey's drawing (and the subsequent ideas he's had) some more thinking.

If C-Deck is not as wide as B-Deck (or possibly even A-Deck), what does that say about the ship?

Per Ron Cobb's notes on the production drawing of Nostromo-precursor Leviathan:

"Basic Lockheed CM-88 B Bison transporter frame modified and fitted with a Yutani T7A NLS stellar drive."

Given that transporter is another name for freighter, it would appear that the Nostromo space frame was built and used to haul freight until a later time when said space frame was refitted with a stellar drive.

Possibly it had a star drive already and upgraded to the T7A.

Or maybe it was used for for conventional travel and then for interstellar work upon installation of the stellar drive.

What I'm getting at is that is seems that: 1) the space frame was beefed up to either handle the new T7A, or 2) the space frame was beefed up to handle a star drive that it had never had before.

Either way, could this have involved converting some of its interior spaces to handle the added stress and mass of such a star drive?

Even if the T7A is mostly open spaces between its operational components (as has been posited on the forum), could it be that the star drive requires the mass and structure of a Bison-sized ship to enable it to envelope a refinery in the requisite hyperspace bubble to allow for effective interstellar mining operations?

Could be...

But if Nostromo started out as a in-system freighter, big as she is, the lower decks must've acted more as a funnel for the cargo bays higher up in the ship. She wasn't a dumper, since then her belly would've been the widest part of the hull.

Since the belly has so little surface area for cargo hatches or deployable cargo pods (a la Prometheus), I'm guessing there's two or three such deployable pods (depending upon how big they could be and still not collapse upon lowering them), with hatches in the outer hull between decks that open and allow lateral cargo transfer deployable outboard winches.

Which leads me to the conclusion that B-Deck might contain more storage/cargo areas and C-Deck the garages primarily.

Or C-Deck might even have cargo bays that are loaded from B-Deck through the afore-mentioned laterals.

I'm sure anyone who has explored these spaces via 3D programs would have a more informed opinion.

Or not... Wink

For what it's worth...

I'm in the middle of editing the project paper and I've really gotten immersed in our discussion, guys.
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall reading an article, like "Starlog" or similar, that Nostromo was, as you say, a medium haul freighter, but when the need arrived for ships to reach further out for resources for a world that needed them, they refitted the M-class freighters (along with some other large ships), to act like the steering wheels for the refineries. The largest component of the stellar drive was actually contained in the refinery, the tug is steering wheel and fuel.

Now, I read this back when Alien was first showing up in all the usual sci-fi mags, and I could be warping details, but this does sound like the story I read....I MAY still have the magazine, if so, I'll scan it and post here.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts guys...I've read that the Nostromo was actually a military transport re-fitted to be a mining one.
As Cold Canuck mentioned, some add-on were performed on the structure and some were...well, removed.
It's only a tug boat; good engines (low rev for long haul)to make the initial "tug" and then engines "off" once the inertia of the whole refinery is going (that's what's great about the absence of air/gravity in space).
Doesn't take much engine power to correct the trajectory, just that it's going to take a long time to adjust the whole refinery (let's say a turn, as an example).

Might be why the engines are pushed to their max when they landed it on LV

Wink
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two minutes of the lower claw room...Brett's fav place :-]

When I just played this part of the map, I kept hearing the tune and words to "Rain drops keep falling on my head"....of course, now I can't get the darn tune out of mine :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e8FWriDo0o

I apologize for the poor showing by my mic...you can hear my mumbling getting through the background noise on occasion.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the view of the folded landing gear. TFS with us those vids C.C.
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to share.

I think the only other part of that particular Nostromo map is the part of the engine room where Ripley scuttles the ship. There IS also a "server room", but was never shown in the movie.

There is a part of a different Nostromo-based map, it highlights a section of the main airlock, where the player has to coerce the alien into the lock and off to meet it's maker....Kane :-]
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Silently he crept in and placed it on the table. And then as quickly as he appeared, he was gone."

Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done.
The way that the bathroom/locker room is set to make the most out of what little space there would be, makes more sense than the way the game had it set up on the "USCSS Torrens".

Thanks for posting that, eh Very Happy
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great SJ.

Good use of space to accommodate the locker room next to the cryo vault. It fits!

I like the upper level too.

Colin

Ash: Micro changes in air density.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a different design for the locker room at first. But what changed it was the location of the Hypersleep Chamber...it used to be located further to the left per the small-resolution set plans we've seen. But I kept looking at the movie and the sequence at the beginning when the Hypersleep Chamber door opens and the corridor leading to it, and realized that they must have shortened that corridor during construction because it just didn't match. So then I moved the Chamber accordingly and had to redesign the Locker Room.

I think I got away with it; though it wasn't constructed as part of the original set, we never see the section of corridor in the movie where I located the door.

This plan is actually done. I'm working on the others right now.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAB SJ Cool Crisp and clean: pro-job once again!
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Nicely, done!
jkruse05

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I have to apologize for two things. One for jumping straight here for my first post, and second for bumping a thread that hasn't been posted in for months.

Now, down to business. I've been watching this thread and the Nostromo discussion thread for a while as the two together seem to be the best resource on the internet for deck plans. Originally, I came looking for plans to use for a tabletop rpg campaign. I ended up using FenGiddel's old ones. Recently, however, after playing Alien: Isolation's Nostromo DLC's I decided to take another look.

After three frame by frame analyses of the director's cut of Alien I came up with some outlines of what is actually visible in the movie. I originally made a separate plan for each individual scene, then went back and overlapped those plans that were obviously the same room or hallway.

A quick key. Blue shows those walls visible in the movie, red lines are door locations, and green shows locations of ladders visibly connecting to a floor above. If there is more than one green line in an intersection it means I was unable to tell what position the ladder was in. I also included a small orange X to show where the acid from Kane's operation supposedly eats through each deck. Finally, a black arrow indicates the implied front of the ship, and light blue indicates windows.

A Deck. There are three sections shown in the movie. It is implied that they are all connected, but it is never concretely shown. I thoroughly agree with Space Jockey's plans for a locker room and the observation deck, however, I believe the observation deck is accessible from both the rear and port ladderways.

B Deck. You will notice that the shuttle is facing the wrong way to both be under the portside 'wing' and for Ripley to approach from the main body of the ship. The acid hole also doesn't line up, but I think everyone already knows that.

C Deck. This one has the most detail.
Blister and Main Airlock.

Engineering. Note that it is impossible for the hallway at the bottom to connect in the way the movie implies, unless there is a ladder inside of one of the reactor towers. I also just realized that I mistakenly left in a line stickng down from the portside engineering windows.

The 'Death Room' and the 'Blue' Garage.

The 'Orange' Garage and Landing Gear

The long hallways used in several scenes.

I also have this https://www.dropbox.com/s/7z4qhjk1mfzo8qh/Nostromo%20Stacked%20Decks.xcf?dl=0 a GIMP file that has the floor plans from the game cropped and stacked on multiple layers. They don't line up well.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the fray, jkruse05! I've never had a problem with bumping old threads whenever the content adds to the discussion, and yours certainly has!

I think you've outlined some things that have been long-established as well as others that are not so evident (I'd really never thought about the shuttle entrance - as depicted in Ripley's movement - as not being lined up correctly).

IMHO, establishing what's shown on-screen goes a long way to informing blueprints and deck plans of the ship. I've been blueprinting and deckpluanning my favorite space vehicles since the mid-80s and realize that there is always a compromise between "what was shown" and "what it would be if real", but I enjoy the tension between the two and the conversations it produces.

A friend of mine has done some extensive research that you might enjoy. You can find him on Flickr here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/.

We have had friendly disagreements about drawing deck plans from set plans since he correctly concludes that the circumstances that created the set plans are and ever will be different from plans of an actual working vessel.

Doesn't matter, his fantastic work has given me much food for thought, as has yours.

Looking forward to your contributions. This is a well-mannered group open to thoughtful and researched ideas. Again, welcome!

FenGiddel
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 13 of 27

Jump to: