FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Of course he’s a bloody Replicant! He’s going to have to admit it."

Ridley Scott 2015

Wink
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few more tidbits of information about the sequel's title.

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/99950/20151020/blade-runner-2-possibly-titled-androids-dream-filmmaker-ridley-scott.htm

It wouldn't surprise me if the title were changed to something like "Replicant's Dream", with or without the semicolon.

Honestly, I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, re-visiting the BR universe surely is a thrilling prospect, and I have confidence in all the talent involved.
On the other hand, the Deckard-is-a-replicant idea does not sit well with me. It's unsettling, yes, and it works well forcing me to think. As a mental exercise, I am very happy it exists.

On a simple storytelling level, however, I really can't make much sense of it, as much as I'd like to. It's just as Art Deckard presented in his great imagined exchange between Bryant and Tyrell.
I took the idea of Deckard being a replicant (as promoted by SRS) far more seriously before "Prometheus" and all the "it could be", "maybe there are two androids" and whatnot that Ridley Scott said during interviews. All those were neat ideas, I'll freely admit that, but there were no indications of any of it in the actual film, they were ideas with no consequence in the movie.
So I have the feeling that SRS simply likes to mess with peoples' minds (I don't mean this in a negative way). I'm sure he himself honestly likes toying with "what if", and it is good that he does, as this is the igniting spark for our creativity, of course. But I have the impression that SRS is more about ideas than their consequences. And the idea of Deckard being a replicant for me falls into that category.

Hell, even as I write this, I keep asking myself "Why would they take so much trouble with this replicant blade runner?" There is nothing special to Rick Deckard that meets the eye. But in order to justify all the effort they take, there simply has to be something special about him. If it's not Roy-Batty-grade strength, what would it be?
Mayyybeee Deckard is designed to quickly recover from physical trauma.

SRS, I hate you... Very Happy

Cheers, everyone!
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Deckard wrote:
“Of course he’s a bloody Replicant! He’s going to have to admit it."

Ridley Scott 2015

Wink

Ridley's not directing. And after the backlash with Prometheus, I don't think he'll be getting the "carte blanche" from the studio that he did on that film.

Though with the success of The Martian, maybe he WILL. Dammit! Smile
Ranna Ken
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with The Martian is that there were no expectations for it. It was completely new material.

With BR there are a lot of expectations and a lot to prove.
LA2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens2133 wrote:

Deckard is a replicant so human that he fumbles when he drinks and he acts like a jerk towards the ladies ? Wink

srsly, Im thinking of not watching BR2. Im making a stand Smile

Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: BLADE BUMMER Reply with quote

With sequels being cranked out like Big Macs, and the reports that there may now be more than one sequel/film/spinoff in the works for 'A L I E N', as well as 'Blade Runner', I reluctantly must agree with many of the negative comments and conjectures surrounding the "upcoming" films (There still remains so much potential).

However, for as long as it takes for these announced sequels to actually go into production, our concerns may become moot. And for either reason, multiplicity or delay, it remains our choice whether or not to see the movies - if and when they make it "to a theater near you".

- R13
Ranna Ken
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA2019 wrote:
Jens2133 wrote:

Deckard is a replicant so human that he fumbles when he drinks and he acts like a jerk towards the ladies ? Wink

That would make me the world's greatest replicant.
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA2019 wrote:
Deckard is a replicant so human that he fumbles when he drinks and he acts like a jerk towards the ladies ?

Very Happy Good point!

"More human than human" just took on yet another meaning for me. Smile
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "theater near me" is rapidly becoming my living room..
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: SELECTIVE VIEWING Reply with quote

Agreed, hence the quotation marks. With the short runs, questionable sequels and the high cost of tickets, few movies are worth leaving the comfort of home . . .

- R13
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

////

Last edited by Art Deckard on Tue May 21, 2019 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make this clear, I'm not a fan of Deck-a-Rep at all.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: CHANGING VISIONS Reply with quote

I have been puzzled over the last few years with Ridley's comments, and I agree with your assessment here.

Initilally, I never saw Deckard as a replicant. Yes, we all know that there was a scene planned to show the "real" Tyrell in suspension atop the pyramid, discovered towards the end by Batty, but that too was lost to budgetary limitations and so, to the story.

But Ridley's comments seem to often contradict both the film and its history as reported by others involved. One of his recent "revelations" regarding the possible new opening to the sequel was, in fact, what many here know was storyboarded for the original movie, but scrapped (again due to budget).

So until I see it onscreen, I will ignore most of what is said by SRS or reported by the media on or offline. It may well be that SRS is merely feeding the hunger with "something" for our appetite that in reality he knows may or may not ever reach the screen.

After all is said, it IS his baby to do with as he pleases. - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Art Deckard said, the story has to be taken as a whole. Too many "in between the line" stuff makes it a great movie as we know by now.

Deckard is "saved" by Rachael, he'll become her teacher (so much input about life and love). He'll "create" a life for them instead of destroying (killing Reps). He's human and I think the irony is that he'll re-discover his humanity because of an Android.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: CHANGING VISIONS Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
So until I see it onscreen, I will ignore most of what is said by SRS or reported by the media on or offline. It may well be that SRS is merely feeding the hunger with "something" for our appetite that in reality he knows may or may not ever reach the screen. R13

^ This. Thank you!
Aguirre
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I've not been entirely content with mainstream cinema for years, and share many of the concerns about this project as other fans do... I do like the pick of director (Enemy was a very good film) but ultimately feel a BR sequel to be redundant.
In any case, the original film will still be there to enjoy and if we're lucky they'll get Mead back on pre-production and at the very least we'll see a fancy new Spinner.
LA2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CHANGING VISIONS Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
After all is said, it IS his baby to do with as he pleases. - R13

Yeah, it's Ridley's baby but if he wants us to pay for babysitting it then I want to decide for myself Wink

That's one of the many great things with this film. The is he or isn't he a replicant? To me the unanswered question is for the viewer to try and come up with an answer to.

Ridley is entitled to having his answer to the question but to me, it adds so much more to the the universe that is "Blade Runner" to have the question asked and not having an answer to the question.

Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaff was the replicant and Deckard was the human, that's my feeling. Take out, rework or reinterpret the unicorn on the floor and its obvious.

There`s so much more to look forward to than just the Is he? Isn't he? situation. Whatever he is there will be a very interesting story behind it one would assume.
SSB
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're ALL replicants – All the humans have been dead for centuries. You think it's 2019, but it's really 2919...

On a more serious note, SRS alleges BR2 will have a VEY FAMILIAR opening scene (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/107849/20151117/ridley-scott-goes-in-depth-about-blade-runner-2s-opening-scene.htm
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't this the alternate opening to the first film? I know I seen the storyboard for this scene.

Here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37pQKgwsF94
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: