FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
My heavily modified hybrid blaster - 2016 updates.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it took me a few years to find that record!

Buch wrote:
kurtyboy wrote:
Buch: Melt the pewter with a solder iron, pick some up on the tip of the iron and press it onto the area to be repaired. It's tricky as it solidifies instantly and very hard to re-melt and move around once it's on. You end up putting on a lot more than needed then spend ages grinding/filing it down.

It seems to be impossible to make it 100% seamless so I'm hoping that's due to a difference between the Sidkit metal and Rich's metal.

Also tried lead free solder but while filing it down it sometimes comes off, especially when filling a very small hole or shallow area.

Terrific! Think I'll need to try this on my new blaster build... fantastic result you achieved on this one btw Very Happy Very Happy

EDIT: Is that the totally impossible to find record from Shawshank Redemption right there in the background on your shelf??? Not jealous at al, not at alll Confused Confused
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some more work. Sharpening up of some corners and edges and making some edges more even.

After...

Filling some dings.

This edge wasn't straight.

After...

The trigger guard after some reshaping and making the thickness more uniform.

Previously the bolt was not straight (you can see it pointing up) and the groove was not centered in the cutout even though I had assembled it as per the instructions. The bolt pin didn't stick far enough out from the front cap either. Basically, the whole bolt had to be straightened and moved forward about half an inch.

So I removed the lever and straightened the bolt, glued the lever back on with JB weld and while it was still setting, put everything back together and positioned everything properly then taped it in place until it set.

Also, this always bugged me...

So, not to put too fine a point on it...!!! I'ts now too pointed but I can easily take that down a bit.

Filled and re-drilled the hole for the cylinder release screw as it was off-center before.

The Sidkit release switch was inaccurate so I filed out the missing part of the groove and made the elongated washer.

hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. You should fill those 2 countersunk holes for the grip frame on the Charter receiver if you want to be 100% accurate while you're at it.

Let the OCD flow through you.

kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of pins are those on the prop? The top one has a slot in it. Is it a slotted grub screw?
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtyboy wrote:
What kind of pins are those on the prop? The top one has a slot in it. Is it a slotted grub screw?

That's a real Charter. The top one is a slotted screw that threads into the other side of the frame. The bottom one by the trigger is just a pin.

kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I'm asking what are those on the prop? There is a slot on both sides and both are the same size.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtyboy wrote:
But I'm asking what are those on the prop? There is a slot on both sides and both are the same size.

I;m nor sure what area you are referencing. DO you have a pic or can you circle the area?
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay, thanks. Rich has filled me in on the details!

It's the upper bulldog grip frame screw. On the prop it looks like it has a slot on both sides but it must be an optical illusion.

What's the best way to attach the sight rod? I've tried very small countersunk screws but when I try to countersink the holes it just makes them too big as the material is too thin. Even with a little countersinking and grinding down some of the heads (leaving enough to be able to unscrew them) The cylinder still rubs against them.

hirohawa wrote:
kurtyboy wrote:

I;m nor sure what area you are referencing. DO you have a pic or can you circle the area?
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kurtyboy wrote:
It's okay, thanks. Rich has filled me in on the details!

It's the upper bulldog grip frame screw. On the prop it looks like it has a slot on both sides but it must be an optical illusion.

What's the best way to attach the sight rod? I've tried very small countersunk screws but when I try to countersink the holes it just makes them too big as the material is too thin. Even with a little countersinking and grinding down some of the heads (leaving enough to be able to unscrew them) The cylinder still rubs against them.

hirohawa wrote:
kurtyboy wrote:

I've always had luck with the method you described. Is there any way to get smaller screws maybe?

You could try JB Weld or some epoxy but it is a stress point and will probably eventually fail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: