FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
GAFF'S ORIGAMI FIGURE IN BR2049....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Gaff felt pity for Deckards. He left the Spinner for him to get out of Dodge with his Skin-Job. I don't think that Gaff wanted to do anything with him after that...ever. Gaff shows his disdain for both in 20149 (Deck and K).
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaff just never seemed like the kind of guy that would pity Deckard to me and I cant see him giving away his Police spinner and probable career over pity. He does become a little more
"friendly" with each cut of the film though.

Just needed a little more info from the film like if Deckard stole the spinner and or how Gaff left the LAPD. Its not a stretch that Tyrell made replicants for the LAPD all along covertly just as Wallace does openly.

Here`s one...Was it Deckard or Gaff that carved the animal figures seen at Deckard`s pad and K`s HorseyCorn? Gaff`s obsessed with animal figures and we know he can work with wood as well. the matchstick man...wow...lol
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be an interesting story-line to follow Tim Shocked

And, while it sounds far fetched on the first reading, it starts to make sense if you explore it further (conjecture of course).

If Gaff's pity for Deckard & Rachael is real, then why did he care keeping an eye on them?

Or, was he fired from the BR Unit after the Spinner debacle and decided to find the couple?

Let's say that he knew where they were and also knew about the pregnancy; did he payed a visit to Saper to see the child and give her the wooden Unicorn?
Artificial Owl
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if there was another film short with the DVD release featuring Gaff clearing up these issues. I kind of doubt there will be, but one can hope.
Silverside
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artificial Owl wrote:
It would be nice if there was another film short with the DVD release featuring Gaff clearing up these issues. I kind of doubt there will be, but one can hope.

‘The interrogation of Eduardo Gaff.”
Yeah, I would watch that.
Wilbur Mercer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Gaff also harboured a certain amount of jealousy towards Deckard and other Blade Runners in general.
Considering he was physically impaired (maybe injured on the job?) his abilities would have been limited which may have made it hard to watch from the sidelines.

Some insight can be taken from what Edward James Olmos tells in Sammon's Future Noir.
"Gaff's morally interesting, too - he begins as an ambitious, slightly shifty character, but by the time the film's over, he's gone through a total character arc. You see that he's capable of sympathy for both Deckard and the replicants." (from the chapter The Noodle Bar)

"By the end of the film, Gaff's changed. He's been watching Deckard from the sidelines during the whole show, but now he's come to a point where he empathizes with him. Gaff understands a little more about life and death. That's why he let Rachael live." (from Gaff on the roof)

Sir Ridley Scott also changed Bryant being on the roof from the script to Gaff being on the roof just so he could tie the 'it's too bad she won't live' dialogue to the origami unicorn. Also because it made more sense to be Gaff as he was the one always following Deckard around.

There is one line of dialogue from Gaff in BR2049 that does allude to certain things-
"He got what he wanted... to be alone"

Knowing fully that Deckard left with Rachael it could be interpreted that Gaff
a) says misinformation to conceal that fact
b) knows what happened with Rachael/the child/etc. and therefore that Deckard is alone and wants to be.

The fact that Deckard has Gaff's spinner (44)-
could Gaff have left it for him?
Did Gaff give it to him at a later time?
Did Deckard steal it?
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here`s a just released video with the writers of 2049 and its a great example of the big questions never getting asked. When the subject of Gaff arise`s, its only about why he didnt speak Cityspeak..FFS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ibTaoVU4g
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's Gaff's spinner that Deckard has.

In the anime short Gaff is piloting a spinner that banks and crashes with the EMP.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m not sure that was Gaff in the spinner in Black Out, just a generic spinner helmet. It probably would have killed him as well.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Webber wrote:
I`m not sure that was Gaff in the spinner in Black Out, just a generic spinner helmet. It probably would have killed him as well.

Agree. And I doubt that they would go to the trouble of making it look identical to Gaff's without it having any meaning.(other than a shout-out to Syd Mead) Why not put any spinner there? Or none at all.
Artificial Owl
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Webber wrote:
Here`s a just released video with the writers of 2049 and its a great example of the big questions never getting asked. When the subject of Gaff arise`s, its only about why he didnt speak Cityspeak..FFS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ibTaoVU4g

I'm not too familiar with Collider, but I often find the people that produce content for these online entertainment websites have no idea about the material they're covering. So they all tend to end up asking the same generic questions.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Webber wrote:

Looks like Gaff to me. There is also a voice grunting in the scene, and it sounds like Gaff to me.

Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats Eddie, no doubt. Wow this stuff just keeps getting better.

Hows does he turn up in a Retirement home in 2049? Still love that.

That`s another one in the Gaff is a replicant file. There are either multiple Gaffs or they just made another. I mean, that anime is supposed to be canon right?

The spinner.....got me, who knows?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, about the Spinner...Deckard is in his police car when going to J.F. Sebastian right? Right! When the whole scene is done between Batty and Deckard, on the roof, Gaff appears with a Spinner.

Cut to scene of Deckard and Rachael in the car: it's clearly Deckard's sedan in the shot.
Cut to interior of sedan and boom! Interior of the Spinner...quite confusing for continuity's sake Confused

Did they just agreed on using the Spinner and not the sedan for the 2049 movie? Possible...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: