FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner 1982 Badge

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner 1982 Badge Reply with quote

I have been working on a 3D model of the original badge from Blade Runner. I know there have been runs of these before, so I used those as my inspiration, as well as some blurry stills of the beat cops arresting Deckard with Gaff.

It is simple for ease of 3D printing, and hopefully captures the spirit if those that already have been made, rather than is an attempt to copy.

What do you think, too simple, or a good compromise? I am working with someone who can cast with metalish resin once I am 100% with it, and also plan to upload to thingiverse and shapeways to make it accessible to anyone that wants one. I am also working on a Deckard photo for the center, I dont want to use anyone's design without permission so I figured I would start from scratch.

[/img]
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good...Anders might be of help Wink
LearnByMaking
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really looking great and I love your work on the 2049 props (http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=5437)
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!

Personally I would prefer a less edged look on the flames surrounding the center frame... more rounded shapes, less regular and with convex surfaces
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback! I'm still tinkering with it, but got the general layout done and wanted to share!
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always cool to see what people are working on

I believe Shapeways has a brass/metal print option, right? Just saying...

I you did a few different styles, I sure they would be pretty popular...
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaled the size a bit since I got my wallet today...what do you think?
LearnByMaking
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Have to check my references for proportions, etc. Very impressive. Do you plan on post processing to remove the print lines, etc?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to set the record straight about the badges, and this design in particular. Deckard never had a badge himself, and we have seen pics of the open wallet without a badge. The badges we see are all speculative because you couldn't see in the film, and we all guessed. The ones we see on ebay are based on the existing LAPD badge, with the current LAPD building on the badge. The one you are basing yours on comes from the Phil Steinsneider wallet set that had a lot of controversy around it, and is very likely no in any way from the film. It does however mimic to some degree the badges the street cops wore in the film. It is based on a stock oval badge without the ribbons as seen here...

If you contact badge companies, some may even have the badge blank and bezel that you can put the photo in already plated. Been too long since I looked for these, and many of the companies have changed their product lines though, and I couldn't find the exact match any more. Not sure if this helps or scuttles the project, but the info I feel needs to be out there.

Good luck,
Andy
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will get cleaned up and cast by someone im working with.

As far as design, this seems to be what people call the "film" style.

I tend to agree with it based on this photo:

The beat cops badge looks an awful lot like what people speculate Deckards too.

As for him not actually having a badge..maybe its my eyes, but:

Circled in red...right around 48 min in when talking to the Egyptian, you can clearly see the oval shape in a brass color.

This isnt meant to be a super accurate badge, just a fun little run im doing with someone as an alternative to the more common style found in ebay.[/img]
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at that shot over and over again myself. May have to revisit if I can get the 4K version on a big screen, but we concluded no badge on that a long time ago. Here is also a thread that had a close up of the wallet from a cut scene, and the full inside of the wallet... http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=5364

Andy
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Egyptian scene over and over and the way he unfolds his wallet is exactly the same as my badge wallet, not like a regular trifold.

I'd love a few people to double check me because I'm not trying to set anything in stone...I know our minds can see what they want, but I swear I saw the shape of the badge.
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I have looked at that shot over and over again myself. May have to revisit if I can get the 4K version on a big screen, but we concluded no badge on that a long time ago. Here is also a thread that had a close up of the wallet from a cut scene, and the full inside of the wallet... http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=5364

Andy

Forgive the interruption, but was that conclusion that there was no badge at all or no badge that can be seen? If the former, why then would Dec have unfurled his entire wallet in front of the Egyptian? In that scene, he was acting as a regulator/inspector and arguably needed to show both his ID and badge. In all of the other scenes the wallet is shown, where he only displays his ID, he’s confirming his identity to other police. He doesn’t need to show the badge.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that marcuslaw has something here...seeing the last entry on that "wallet story" it seems that, and looking at the thickness of the wallet itself, it must contain a badge (albeit, never clearly seen in the movie).

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=5364 shows the thickness of the wallet in Deckard's hand...a 3 folders for sure...but still no badge Confused
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the scene again close up frame by frame, and saw a bright reflection off both the third back flap of the wallet, which is black/brown leather, as well as the middle flap, and the reflection off of the middle flap lasted for about a frame and a half showing no actual shape of the reflection. No real proof one way ore the other.

As far as any badge being in his wallet, no matter what we do at this point it is speculative since the wallet prop has never surfaced, and no wallet badge designs were also never recorded. I will say regardless if there was ever a badge or not, I much prefer this style over the modern LAPD badge because it both echos the street police officer uniform badges, as well as the fact it doesn’t have the current police building on it. I would love even better if someone could add the film version of the headquarters to the badge, but that might just be getting crazy...lol...though I might try and sketch up some just for fun Wink

Andy
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the existence of Dec's badge will not be settled until the wallet surfaces like the blaster at Worldcon. For my part, I prefer the look of the badge worn by the officer next to Gaff and the one made by Phil S. It has a more Noir feel to it than the more modern, shiny LAPD variety.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcuslaw wrote:
I agree that the existence of Dec's badge will not be settled until the wallet surfaces like the blaster at Worldcon. For my part, I prefer the look of the badge worn by the officer next to Gaff and the one made by Phil S. It has a more Noir feel to it than the more modern, shiny LAPD variety.

Agreed,
Andy
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same, which is why I Wanted to make something rather than by the "modern" style off ebay!

I will have it on thingiverse once im done tinkering in case anyone wants to mess with it further...and can PM anyone the .obj file if its easier to work with if needed.
win7ermute

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I thought this was settled but here we go again lol.
Electric Sheep
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great djblingbling!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: