FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Hopkinsc1's Live Fire Blaster Project.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hopkinsc1
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Hopkinsc1's Live Fire Blaster Project. Reply with quote

So over the past few months I have been heavily modifying my Tomenosuke to a highly accurate "World-Con" build and, while I am in love with this gun, something always yearned at me. The need to have the real deal. A Live fire.

So I got the bulldog and other parts and liked the idea of having Deckards gun able to fire. But as I thought of it more I began to think to myself... I like the idea of having my gun fire.

So I picked up a Steyr as well.

I currently have a gunsmith who is doing some research on how to get this thing to fire without blowing off the side covers. I know of a couple ways this could be done, but we would obviously want to do it the safest way possible. I also have some decisions to make; to my understanding the gun parts were freshly blued on the gun for filming, then stripped (or worn down?) then aged once again to the color it is today; however, I like the idea of getting the parts to a gunmetal grey and protecting the coating; after all, this is now, for all intents and purposes, a completely different gun than Deckards. Different color LED's as well? I like the idea of blues possibly, maybe even Amber LED's.

I've got some choices to make with this...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for the faint of heart for sure (ask Eltee, he'll tell you stories ).
Love it when someone tackle that kind of difficult project; lots of white hair, I see in the future, for your gunsmith Wink
Hopkinsc1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of this will be my Gunsmith. He's going to be talking to a few people in order to get an idea of what needs to happen.
faust1193
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a bit dangerous if you load a live round and the improvised gun explodes in your hand?

If I want to shoot I think I would just buy a real gun
Hopkinsc1
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct. This is why a gunsmith will be doing the work so it doesn’t become a grenade when it shoots.
DonParker
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right , since they had to cut the ejector rod , and that let the cylinder wobble around, they used a screw to hold the crane tight to the frame. I've seen pictures where the big domed screw on the right side of the gun(which they replaced later with the Weaver scope knob) lines up directly with the crane.
Another thing is gas expelled through the cylinder gap can play havoc with the side covers. I think at least one person here who had a live fire gun had problems with the side covers wanting to blow off. He eventually had to cut a vent hole in to alleviate that.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What barrel ended up on the real prop, since it doesn't resemble at all the barrel on the Bulldog shown here? Confused
DonParker
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy barrel blanks of just about any length you want and then cut them down , thread and crown them.
Hopkinsc1
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don is correct on all accounts. I currently have a blank at .03” off of the diameter and 6” I plant on using on my gun. I do have an older Charger Arms that is actually Blued, however so my smith will need to blue it to match.

As for the gases, I am going to see if we can go the way Ogrotesque1 with all of his where the barrel and the cylinder are as close as possible to each other so the gas goes out the barrel with the bullet. It will only be able to fire blanks or lower pressure cowboy loads but that way I can hopefully get the gun made with no obvious modifications made to the gun. My Smith is also talking to both Coyle and Phil Steinschneider so if anyone can instruct him on how to do it, , it will be them.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eltee got a real live fire BR blaster here (and others) he could give you some tips about those side covers Wink
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, lookin’ good Hopkins!
You are defiantly on the right track on all accounts so far.
Trust me, as long as your smith is able to get that cylinder gap as air tight as possible, you’ll be fine firing live rounds without the side covers flying off. Besides, that’s what loctite is for, haha!
Since you won’t be running around actually trying to retire replicants all night, lead rounds are just as fun for target shooting, not to mention they don’t sting the Hell out of your hands as bad as some of the more powerful ammo available. Some of that ammo really does a number on your wrists after a long day at the range, no thanks! I’m just fine with cleaning my Blaster more often from shooting cowboy loads.
Can’t wait to see the results Hopkins!
Good luck and be safe,
Damion
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogrotesque1 wrote:

Trust me, as long as your smith is able to get that cylinder gap as air tight as possible, you’ll be fine firing live rounds without the side covers flying off.
Damion

100% this. Mind the gap!
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veektohr wrote:
ogrotesque1 wrote:

Trust me, as long as your smith is able to get that cylinder gap as air tight as possible, you’ll be fine firing live rounds without the side covers flying off.
Damion

100% this. Mind the gap!

Yes indeedy, always mind that bitch!
Hopkinsc1
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it, fellas! Will be talking to my smith soon and see what is going on. I’ll also be trying to get in touch with Steinschneider again for pets. I’m excited to get this ball rolling!
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, have you gotten any further on your live-fire build at all? I’d love to see how its coming along?
Damion

Hopkinsc1 wrote:
Appreciate it, fellas! Will be talking to my smith soon and see what is going on. I’ll also be trying to get in touch with Steinschneider again for pets. I’m excited to get this ball rolling!

Hopkinsc1
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all the craziness that has been happening in the past few months, along with issues building my workshop (which will be worked out soon) there hasn't been much progress on my build. However, I'm hoping to change that within the month.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be the year we finish our builds Twisted Evil
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veektohr wrote:

Hopefully I can say the same goes for me!? I still have my receiver, bolt, front and rear cap to machine/fabricate. Finding somebody with a knee mill isn’t all that easy it turns out. Most machine shops freak out over gun stuff and won’t even touch it. The gunsmith I was going to is on hiatus until he gets his FFL situated....and it’s taking forever!
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogrotesque1 wrote:
veektohr wrote:

Hopefully I can say the same goes for me!? I still have my receiver, bolt, front and rear cap to machine/fabricate. Finding somebody with a knee mill isn’t all that easy it turns out. Most machine shops freak out over gun stuff and won’t even touch it. The gunsmith I was going to is on hiatus until he gets his FFL situated....and it’s taking forever!

I'm looking into getting an FFL so that I can help people out with that. I just need my days to magically get longer Razz
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veektohr wrote:
ogrotesque1 wrote:
veektohr wrote:

I'm looking into getting an FFL so that I can help people out with that. I just need my days to magically get longer Razz

That would be amazing if you manage that one Veek, good luck! I wouldn’t mind getting myself an FFL too!! What I’d really like is a class 3 firearms license, but from what I’ve heard it’s literally almost impossible to get. Seriously, being an outstanding law abiding citizen with a perfect criminal record isn’t even close to good enough. I wonder just how difficult it actually is to get?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: