FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner RPG coming from Fria Ligan - now on Kickstarter

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Blade Runner RPG coming from Fria Ligan - now on Kickstarter Reply with quote

Fria Ligan, the same company that released the ALIEN tabletop role-playing game a couple of years ago, are set to release a Blade Runner TTRPG in 2022.

More information here: bladerunner-rpg.com

Last edited by Vader on Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bladerunner TTRPG is coming to Kickstarter on 3 May!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/blade-runner-the-roleplaying-game
Lt Dan
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took a whole 3 minutes to reach the Kickstarter target. Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exiting...I believe it's the same company that did the Alien one
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, as noted in the OP, this is so! Very Happy

I am just annoyed as hell over that they're giving the Blaster a full-spread write-up -- which is great -- but they're choosing to represent the in-world weapon as exactly what the real-world prop is (a five-shot .44 revolver with a .222 rifle on top), nothing more, nothing less -- certainly not as any kind of a futuristic weapon, as it clearly was meant to be.

Apart from the sight rod, which they say is a "sonic blaster" function, never even hinted at on-screen...

Which quite frankly, to my mind, is idiotic. On several levels.

Bearing in mind the huge effort the props guys went through to hide the prop's pyro FX functionality away, it's ... just such a bloody waste.

As icing on the cake, Ligan also decided that "only Blade Runners are allowed to carry" the Blaster. In spite of every policeman carrying one on-screen, plain for everyone to see...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right about the gun and other "Artistic Liberties" taken by the makers of the game Confused I guess we should feel lucky that we have a game after all Wink
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game has a lot of nice work in and on it but it does have some severe negatives. One glaring omission is the lack of mapping and tracking for combat miniatures, yet includes aerial combat rules.

It is nice to include the rules for a spinner chase, but without a way of tracking it, pretty much rules out using them.

Trying to flesh out the game by making new classes that are more akin to cyberpunk than occupations in the BR universe is distracting at best. What I would want to know is how the Chinyen works and how a business owner gets through a day.

Without background on ordinary people, players can't identify what is "normal" in the world. Ordinary life is the foundation of a story. An adventure is a disruption of the ordinary. Without some kind of standard nothing means anything.

Permission is given for the Game Runner (GM) to do things. Um no. Just no. Someone or a small group needs to be in charge or things just don't work. If game designers want to break the mold of the Arneson/Gygax engine, be my guest. But the idea of removing the leadership position for the comfort of the poorly motivated will not solve problems. Good leadership depends on knowledge and commitment to a dedicated goal. The goal should be a good story. Good stories are built around challenge and conflict. Those who are unable to embrace these concepts are not equipped to play.

The Gap. Too much time passes for there not to be leaps in equipment technology. Yet, the game seems to insist on jumping from 2019 to 2049 without consideration of the basics.

1.) 30 years of Spinner models. With the passing of 3 decades, we get the progress of Yugo car models...with multiple companies! There are more advances in Volkswagen beetles in the 30's to the 60's than in Spinners! This is just silly. How does Pugeot survive without producing a single spinner until 2049?

2.) Weapon technology. In a universe where there are C-beam cannons and space battles, there seems to be little in the way of variety of weapons over time. No rifles as we see in the 1998 BR computer game, no grenades, no melee weapons, nothing showing year after year of weapons development. 30 years is a long time without progress.

3.) Food. No brands, variety of types, procurement, process and packaging. In 2019: we got a glimpse into how people ate and drank. We do not get a good sense of how this works over time in 2049.

In short, there are many more areas where the game falls short and must be propped up by dedicated fans.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the revue Masao Wink
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Np. We aren't a community if we don't share our experiences and information.

There is a bit more...

As I mentioned, there are rules for spinner chases but no rules for carrying out such maneuvers in scale. The game lacks rules for miniature skirmish.

It took me a little while to figure out Free League's approach when it suddenly dawned on me that this is a LARP! The 1/1 scale props, the leaderless style and elimination of miniatures are all indicators of larping.

While not explicitly stated, the style is not really tabletop oriented. I expect revisions and supplements will address most of these points in the future since most companies are motivated to sell as much product as possible.

This game is not bad, but it is far from complete.

Last edited by Masao on Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed Confused As you said, I hope they will improve some of the features in the near future.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, nothing yet. The game itself seems to have collectors, but few players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: