FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Design Thread: Nostromo interiors and deck configurations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some cool ideas to get around the Ripley going down the ladder and the medical elevator problems....just need time to sketch them out but when I do (hopefully in the next week) will post them and see what you think.....
-SJ
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent !!!

8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to it.

SJ, You've got me looking at my Mess/ Galley plans again!

Colin
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8th_Passenger wrote:
Looking forward to it.

SJ, You've got me looking at my Mess/ Galley plans again!

Colin

There are one or two differences in that Mess / Galley; the bottom left-hand alcove is correct and has seating within it, as does the right hand alcove, but they did change the shape of the right-hand one between drawing it up and building it, which is not yet reflected on the plan I posted (it's more square).

FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
I have some cool ideas to get around the Ripley going down the ladder and the medical elevator problems....just need time to sketch them out but when I do (hopefully in the next week) will post them and see what you think.....
-SJ

Can ALWAYS count on you to pull a metaphorical rabbit out of a hat on these projects. You've got the mind for pulling this puzzle together. Looking forward to seeing them...
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SJ.

I'd noticed those differences too. I've dug out my drawings and may have a go at putting something together over the Holidays.

Colin
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, my deck-plan brain cells aren't firing right now, so I'm tyring to get a 3D image of the ship in mind. Reading merchant ship and tug construction books, as well as other cargo vessels has given me some ideas for the ship beyond deck plans. I'm working on the layout of the ship's structural framework, based on SJ's gray-scale sections posted previously.

To those, the pressurized crew sections would be mounted ("floated"?), with the air circulatory system inclusive of those sections. It would seem that most of the ship's volume would be un-pressuized, with all pressurized sections installed between the structural framework, tankage, cargo bays, etc.

Right now, I'm using a sea-going tug as my jumping-off point, considering Nostromo's engines are so huge. A space-going tug would be mostly engines, tankage for said engines, some space for cargo (economy of travel), and crew spaces.

Most ocean-going craft have quarters for crew. I know Nostromo's crew are expected to be in the freezers when not working/traveling, but I've thought about the time they spend in port or at mining stations, loading/offloading, etc. Might there be crew quarters? And larger rooms for the officers?

Additionally, I've been sketching some ideas for cargo bays, and instead of lifts lowering contents to the ground, hatches on the vertical or beveled hull (below the vertical) opening to allow winches and cranes to transfer cargo, equipment, and even vehicles, to the ship's interior bays.

Of course, there's also going to be room for fuel tankage for the trio of rocket nozzles forward of the airlock/blister area, which would seem to run along into the 'neck' of the hull instead of in the 'head' where most of the crew spaces may reside.

From the point where the neck meets the central hull with struts for the lifter quad nacelles, I image the vast cavernous hyperdrive engine spaces. I presume the hyperdrive must be built into the hull if the area is cavernous, with a few vertical columns as seen in the film. Forward of that space would be the engineering control room.

I also plan to update the work document I've been recording ideas on. Reviewing that 'Leviathan' deckplan art in the ALIEN Vault has spurred some more ideas.

Forgive for over-thinking, but this is an exciting mental exercise quite welcome right now.

Thoughts, comments, and ideas welcome.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to post an idea on trying to solve the problem with the scene where Ripley seems to descend from above A Deck to get to the Infirmary before getting smacked in the face by an angry Lambert.

I've corresponded briefly with Darrell on this and I know he's got some superb ideas with the C Deck Cargo areas. I haven't had much time to get sketches done but wanted to post what I did a few weeks back to keep it going.

Previously I think we toyed around with the idea that the Infirmary would be on B Deck, but that would go against behind the scenes set shots and the A Deck set plan. Basically we are thinking of making use of one of the scenes that were not filmed for the movie but was storyboarded by Ridley Scott, and that is the Observation 'Bubble' on top of the ship.

We don't really know what Ripley was doing while the rest of the crew were prepping Kane to see what happened to him. I pasted a section below of what we have in figuring it out - the challenge here was to not simply put the bubble on the top of the ship, but to blend it in with what is already there on the ship, disguising it somehow amongst and making use of the detail on the hull.
Basically it's become an area where the crew can see the top hull of the ship and infront.

The diagram below is really rough and unfinished, but maybe you get where it's going.

For the corridor leading from the ladderwell/companionway to the Observatory, I'd envisaged it to be rather narrow, kind of like the corridor leading from the Bridge to the MUTHUR Room, or the narrow corridor that Charlize Theron's character runs down in the new Prometheus trailer.
The Observatory itself would be similar to the cockpit to the Narcissus, smaller and more confined.
Hopefully it kind of keeps with the character and aesthetic of the rest of the ship, at least, that's the aim. Comments and ideas welcome.

Ridley's Storyboard:

Rough Section:

8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking Good.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that bubble...I'd actually forgotten the drawing of it; as you said, that scene was placed into the Narcissus. Good idea/plan so far: keep up the good work
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little playing around with placement of the airshaft system relative to the corridors. Also: some goofing with the hyperdrive cavern and placement of Engineering. And finally, a few riffs on cargo bay configurations on C-Deck, with flush exterior bay doors on the vertical wall of the hull and the lower, angled wall. Both with ideas for cargo loading equipment. Not to scale, just intended to spark the imagination, guys.

Last edited by FenGiddel on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:

For the corridor leading from the ladderwell/companionway to the Observatory, I'd envisaged it to be rather narrow, kind of like the corridor leading from the Bridge to the MUTHUR Room, or the narrow corridor that Charlize Theron's character runs down in the new Prometheus trailer.
The Observatory itself would be similar to the cockpit to the Narcissus, smaller and more confined.
Hopefully it kind of keeps with the character and aesthetic of the rest of the ship, at least, that's the aim. Comments and ideas welcome.

Great post and idea Graham !

I was thinking about something... keeping in mind the idea of this extra level / Observatory area and also the fact that there's room for 10 mugs in the galley for a crew of 7 (There's only 7 hypersleep pods in the chamber so I guess the crew wasn't reduced from 10 to 7)...

Could we state that there's an extra hypersleep chamber with 3 pods up there for occasional company passengers ? That would make sense for the Weylan Yutani Corp to have this kind of equipment on all their ships because considering the huge distances between remote worlds, what do you do if you have to relocate 1 or 2 employees from a planet to another ? You won't send a ship especially for them, it would be too pricey... But having extra hypersleep pods on each of their long distance ships would efficiently (and cheaply) solve the problem ! (and since employees would travel in suspended animation, they wouldn't need 1st class seats anyway !).

I agree, this extra hypersleep chamber would look rather close to what we see inside the Narcissus, excepted that you'd have 3 lockers and 3 pods. (If the passengers had to use a bathroom, they would use the crew's)

Fred

PS : A photo of the galley can be seen here (1st post - 3rd photo) :

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=200
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doodles are important into the design process and those are great ideas
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Doodles are important into the design process and those are great ideas

I'll second that, interesting doodles FenGid !

Cool
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning some helpful verbiage along the way, resulting from researching shipping:

Companionway: ladder between decks on a ship. I've mistakenly called them 'ladderways'.

Between decks (or 'tween decks): any space between two continuous decks in the hull of a vessel. This might be a real-life precedent to explain placement of "sub-decks" between A, B, and C Decks.

Smile

Have had some interesting reading in John Moynihan's "The Voyage of the Rose City," his time aboard an oil tanker. His descriptions of the crew, the ship's layout, etc., vaguely echo what we see in Alien aboard the Nostromo. Good, quick reading, if you like that kind of thing. Here's a link with some info:

http://www.randomhouse.com/book/211818/the-voyage-of-the-rose-city-by-john-moynihan
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth checking out, that book ... I'll definitely do so -- thanks, FenG!

'Tween decks -- in the RN, the term "platforms" is used for these; hence my usage of that word some pages ago. 'Tween decks might be a more appropriate civilian term, though.
Much of my naval terminology comes from the RN, for various reasons...

Didn't we say something about companionways vs. ladderways somewhere around page 3 or 4? Or is it just me being confused?

Cheers!
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader wrote:
Worth checking out, that book ... I'll definitely do so -- thanks, FenG!

'Tween decks -- in the RN, the term "platforms" is used for these; hence my usage of that word some pages ago. 'Tween decks might be a more appropriate civilian term, though.
Much of my naval terminology comes from the RN, for various reasons...

Didn't we say something about companionways vs. ladderways somewhere around page 3 or 4? Or is it just me being confused?

Cheers!

Good points, Vader. These definitions come from a book on US oil tankers. I completely overlooked differences in the UK. Matters not to me, especially since you have a good background compared to my having to go look things up.

You're right about the c vs. l terms in the checklist. Planning on updating it and will welcome your similar 'corrections' for continuity's sake. Let's just say since ALIEN was made in the UK, we can go with RN terminology? Feel welcome to send any comments here or PM.

Thanks again, my friend.

AND ALL: do you think there'd be an inspection catwalk around the circumference of the hyperdrive cavern? On the one hand, I say 'no', since I do not think there'd be ANYTHING in there Parker and Brett could fix. On the other hand, maybe it should be there for the advanced engineering crews at dry-dock. On the other hand... Wink

Planning a sketch of the Big N in drydock...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why they wouldn't have some sort of inspection catwalk on that part of the ship...or at the very least, some kind of vehicule to inspect the towers; hence a "road" or way to move that kind of inspection machinery.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may well be a catwalk of some kind...but seems more likely that Parker and Brett would use the 'sled' (?)....the small hovering vehicle that Ron Cobb designed for the movie....I think Starigger made a sketchup model of it?
To hover around and see what the problem is at least...of course then comes the question of how it gets there.

Love the sketches FenGiddle...

Actually when I was talking earlier about the Observatory being similar to the Narcissus, I meant just the cockpit portion of the Narcissus....but love the thought on the additional cryotubes. Will incorporate into it...

-SJ
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your new avatar SP...very replicant looking
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 7 of 27

Jump to: