FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Alien prequel (Prometheus)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:

Regarding the possible weathered face on top of the megastructure, I wonder now if the idea would be to evoke this :

Fred

Another comparison that made me think of ancient Egypt in Prometheus (its a drawing by David Roberts on the right, an early visitor of Egypt in the XIXth century) :

Don't also forget that it looks like there's at least 5 egg silos / DUNE pyramids in the valley where Prometheus lands... This also reminds me of the "Valley of the kings" in Egypt, a valley where are located many Egyptian dignitaries' tombs. (I visited this place in person something like 15 years ago)

Fred
[/img]
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well done Fred...looks like a castle where you have a corridor full of suit of armors and the family's ancestors looking down on you Wink
Right again about the valley of the God in Egypt; what a very impressive presentation of the Gods: huge is the word and the effect on the people visiting is quite powerful (Hitler was a fan also, no doubt)...as for the main chamber with the human face in Prometheus, the wow factor must be done with giant scale no less.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some behind the scenes artwork...

http://io9.com/5912306/check-out-wild-new-concept-art-from-prometheus-and-some-details-about-the-movies-creature/gallery/1

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Andy, this is really exciting stuff, and I'll be the first in line to see it in 3-D on IMAX
Brownclaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
TFS Andy, this is really exciting stuff, and I'll be the first in line to see it in 3-D on IMAX

Yeah, us too, we've got tickets for the 1st AND the 8th at Birmingham IMAX Smile
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it.

Just wanted to chime in on the IMAX issue. Keep in mind this was shot on "RED Epic" cameras which are not IMAX technology, aspect ratio and the lot. If you want to see it as Ridley and the camera team shot it, see it in 3D without the IMAX. An IMAX presentation is a conversion, not the original...
Brownclaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panaflex wrote:
Can't wait to see it.

Just wanted to chime in on the IMAX issue. Keep in mind this was shot on "RED Epic" cameras which are not IMAX technology, aspect ratio and the lot. If you want to see it as Ridley and the camera team shot it, see it in 3D without the IMAX. An IMAX presentation is a conversion, not the original...

Noted, thanks, I didn't know that. I'm sure I'll be seeing it more than twice though Smile

Is there likely to be a noticeable issue? Given your nickname I'm guessing you know a lot about it Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Panaflex...I didn't know that fact. Change of plans: 3-D regular screen
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownclaw wrote:
panaflex wrote:
Can't wait to see it.

Noted, thanks, I didn't know that. I'm sure I'll be seeing it more than twice though Smile

Is there likely to be a noticeable issue? Given your nickname I'm guessing you know a lot about it Smile

Technically, the resolution is there for an IMAX bump but you're still going to see it on a more square screen than how it was shot. The shape of the frame is so important when a director starts composing the shot. Changing the aspect ratio after the fact is like trying to direct the movie all over again.

Here is some interesting reading and pics about the Prometheus shoot and the camera rigs used.
http://electronicdesign.com/article/embedded/prometheus-takes-flight-cuttingedge-vfx-technology-73934
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add this link, a discussion about aspect ratios, IMAX etc.
If Prometheus had been shot in IMAX, I'd be all over the IMAX presentation.

http://aspectratio.wordpress.com/2008/07/23/on-imax-and-hollywood/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Panaflex...interesting articles for sure. Better to watch the movie as it was intended by the Director rather than watching inflated and somewhat less than sharp images
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
...as for the main chamber with the human face in Prometheus, the wow factor must be done with giant scale no less.

Well JB, the wow factor can be meet in person in our reality... I believe the giant human face in the ampule room was inspired by Olmec art and its most iconic creations : Giant stone heads !

See by yourself :

Stunning, isn't it ?

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed Fred! Throughout history (and Antiquity) the representation of the Gods/God and especially in fairly organized/sophisticated society (Summerian, Egyptian, Greek, Incas, etc) was generaly built with an idea of not only grandeur, but also awe and fear. The spectator had to be dwarfed be the Giants, the enormous weight of the stone/monument's crushing feeling.
I can only make a comparaison with countries of dictatorial political leanings (China, Russia, North Korea, etc) where some of the monuments, either to a particular leader or to the workers and the people, are made using that giant scale. If Nazi Germany had indeed lived for a thousand year and seeing Hitler's vision and by the same token his favourite architect Albert Speer, we would've witnessed the same strategies used in Antiquity.
Brownclaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else geeking up when they go to see this? I'm going in all my Nostromo crew gear - probably without the 9kg flamethrower replica though Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thinking about skipping the flamethrower Brownclaw ...besides, I don't think an open flame is permitted in a movie theatre
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brownclaw wrote:
Anyone else geeking up when they go to see this? I'm going in all my Nostromo crew gear - probably without the 9kg flamethrower replica though Smile

I'll probably wear my PF Flyer Nostromo shoes.
Subtle, yet so much fun.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Yes indeed Fred! Throughout history (and Antiquity) the representation of the Gods/God and especially in fairly organized/sophisticated society (Summerian, Egyptian, Greek, Incas, etc) was generaly built with an idea of not only grandeur, but also awe and fear. The spectator had to be dwarfed be the Giants, the enormous weight of the stone/monument's crushing feeling.
I can only make a comparaison with countries of dictatorial political leanings (China, Russia, North Korea, etc) where some of the monuments, either to a particular leader or to the workers and the people, are made using that giant scale. If Nazi Germany had indeed lived for a thousand year and seeing Hitler's vision and by the same token his favourite architect Albert Speer, we would've witnessed the same strategies used in Antiquity.

Well said JB, I couldn't agree more... and I won't talk about the justice hall in Brussels... Same idea applies to this building I think !

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course (did you visit?)...the crushing forces of Justice
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Of course (did you visit?)...the crushing forces of Justice

Didn't dare... I felt guilty of something just looking at it from the street !

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger than St-Peter in Rome (26.000 square meters) and has the longest "Corridor des pas perdus" in the world (Wikipedia).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: