Forum Index      Log in  Register
Brandomack display box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brandomack
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre990429 wrote:
Hi Brandomack, just to ask : how's the project going ?

Hi Pierre,

Things are going well.
I posted an update over in the Prop Shop, the boxes should be ready for final payment and shipment in about a week.

Best,

B
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks !
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after some delay due to customs, my PKD cherry wood box arrived ! Smile

Being also a Prometheus fan, I made a little "montage".

Box with a Blade Runner blue "shot glass" (replica of course) and a "Weyland Corp" Bodum glass. The latter (see the logo ?) is actually a real Prometheus prop from the movie (found at Propstore).

I am number 6, cool, like "Nexus-6" ...

Box opened. The stop-chain is indeed fragile - Brandon put a warning on the "COA" that comes with the PKD box - It actually broke the 2nd time I opened - carefully I thought - the box, but I could easily "close" the faulty chain link again (with pliers) after having attached the two parts of the chain together.
By the way, you must be careful when you close the box, and verify that the chain stays totally "inside the box" while you are closing it, otherwise it blocks the movement and can cause little dents in the tender cherry wood.

I was a little afraid to damage the glossy finish of my Takagi blaster or the green LEDs (probably the most fragile part) : as you see, you have to apply a little force to make the blaster "sink" to the bottom. Maybe the "hole" is a little bit short in size ? On the photo, the blaster just "sits" at the top.
But it's probably just me : I am very "maniac" and always frightened of "hurting" my beloved blasters... Razz

But I also have a Hartford M2019 "Chief's Blaster" (the only commercial airsoft BR gun, I believe). It has no green LEDs, is more "simple" than the Tomenosuke or Takagi models. (no LED switch on the outside : you must put the clip out, the switch is inside). Only 4 LEDs, too : the bottom one is missing. (in the movie, you only see it during 1/4 sec. , during the "Zohra chase", no?)

So, here is the Hartford Blaster (lights ON). With the shot glass, a prototype of the crew wings in Prometheus (not seen in the movie, I have one of the final patches too), a Prometheus wings pin, a Weyland Corp plastic sticker (3 real props) , and the 5 bullets from the Tomenosuke Kit.
Personally, I like the Red Weyland band on the fake ammo box.

I saw the PKD box n° 7 on Ebay, today. Apparently the stop-chain is gone.

Last edited by Pierre990429 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, that looks terrific Pierre990429!

Many thanks for sharing sir...

High regards

MARK

Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !
You're welcome. Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff you have there Pierre (Merci pour la revue et les photos)
brandomack
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it arrived safe, Pierre!

I've found the source of the chain problem, i made the mistake of purchasing unsoldered chain when sourcing that component, so i'll be sending out a replacement (soldered) chain and screws to everyone, so that doesn't keep happening.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys!
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Brandon; this box is a piece of art !
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Good stuff you have there Pierre (Merci pour la revue et les photos)

Merci, mon ami !

I permitted myself another "fantasy" : (with the Tomenosuke Pro, this time)

So, Deckard worked as a shuttle pilot in the Colonies for Weyland Corp. But he had a little drinkig problem, got fired and eventually "landed" on Earth, as a cop.

He's living with his souvenirs, now :

- an "indigenous" statue (probably fake) bought in some spaceport bazaar (actually a real prop of Prometheus, it's in Meredith Vickers' room, and you see it clearly when she's watching David on the screen, just before he cuts her off ~ at 1h 08 mn)

- "his" wings and pilot shoulder patch from his "former" life. (real Prometheus props)

- the car licence plate of his luxe car; now he drives a Sedan wreck... (real BR licence plate, from ScreenUsed)

- a miniature of the spinner his boss says he will - maybe - be allowed to fly when he's sober... you press a button and a 3D-holo appears, describing the characteristics of the 44-model... a stupid commercial gadget (actually a real resin miniature, I hope)

- his trustworthy watch... only trouble : the time is syntonized on Tokyo hour.... (it's a Microma black & gold, 3 buttons - with chrono - , screwed back, light bulb is ok, works nice)

He could live with that, count himself king of his infinite alcoholic realm, were it not that he has bad dreams :

Unicorns, crowds of men all having his face.

And, lately, he could have sworn that his eyes were glowing....

Poor Rick.

Last edited by Pierre990429 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
brandomack
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live for this type of stuff!

Looks great Pierre!
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Concerning the box : I'm sure the foam is soft enough for the blaster (Tomenosuke or Takagi, it's the same) to fit in. It's just that I am too anxious to "press" a little bit. Somehow, the Hartford is a little bit smaller (and is less fragile).

There is not enough space to just "drop" the blaster horizontally, without twisting it a bit to "enter" the foam niche.

2 or 3 mm larger, everywhere, would probably be perfect. (but then maybe too "loose" ?)

As I said, maybe it's just me : to take the Tomenosuke from its original box, for example, I remove the foam around it, then take the blaster sitting "alone". To put it back, I put the blaster in the middle at first, then afterwards put carefully the foam around it. I'm too cautious. Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pics Pierre and like the story behind it (you like to write it seems Wink )
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Joberg. Well, several years ago I wrote a few Battlestar Galactica (the Ron Moore re-imagined version) fan-fics... nothing more.

Will it be presomptuous to ask if you got the Hamlet quote ?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, don't be shy to brag Wink and no, I didn't get the Hamlet quote since I never read it (apart from the "To be or not to be" famous phrase; now the philosopher would say " To be and not to be" that is the answer

Love the effort that goes into each pic!
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well : I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams. (Hamlet, Act II, Scene II)
I never read it either, but came upon this, and remembered it.
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hamlet

In the movie, Roy (mis)quotes (deliberately) Blake : "Fiery the angels fell; deep thunder rolled around their shores; burning with the fires of Orc"
From William Blake's America: A Prophecy "Fiery the angels rose, and as they rose deep thunder roll'd. Around their shores: indignant burning with the fires of Orc."
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Blade_Runner

But of course, nothing beats Rutger Hauer's "Tears in Rain" speech.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_in_rain_monologue
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pierre990429, fabulous quote and I have to agree, while its great, it will struggle methinks when compared with Roy's 'tears on the rain'.

Regarding the box, since this was a thread I originally started, I'm delighted to say that mine arrived today and it seems appropriate that I'm able to add my impressions as well.

This is a beautifully crafted box and in photographs its hard to see some of the finer detail Brandon has put into making it. Small details like the LAPD seal embedded in the inside lid, the issue badge on the front of the box and the embossed Pflager Katsumata Series-D Steyr logo on the lid are all top drawer.

Each box has been impeccably produced and the woodgrain and green velvet interior enhance the quality of the finish. Besides the issues with the chain (which Brandon has kindly rectified already) there is nothing I would have changed...

As I have mentioned before, for some reason I wasn't prepared for the sheer size of the box - even though I had seen plenty of pictures of it in relation to a blaster. This doesn't mean that I think its too big or bulky because I think as a presentation case, its absolutely perfect.

Brandon has taken a concept that I originally had and literally pushed it up to another level entirely. While my box was always intended to be an "issue box", Brandon has created one that is in every respect, a presentation case and in fact, my own box now looks rather dreary (and tiny) in comparison.

Thank you sir...
My highest regards

MARK

Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Mark, great photos : chess pieces (where did you find them), photo, money... Very Happy

I love your "old" Blaster. Maybe I'll only paint the 2 cylinder "covers" on my Tomenosuke kit, finally....

I have one question :

The "cover" of my PKD box has been made with 2 pieces, and the "top" one is slightly less colored than the lower one. Should I leave it a bit in the sun ?
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre990429 wrote:
Wow Mark, great photos : chess pieces (where did you find them), photo, money... Very Happy

I love your "old" Blaster. Maybe I'll only paint the 2 cylinder "covers" on my Tomenosuke kit, finally....

I have one question :

The "cover" of my PKD box has been made with 2 pieces, and the "top" one is slightly less colored than the lower one. Should I leave it a bit in the sun ?

Thank you Pierre990429! The chess pieces are from the fabulous Rick Ross (red dragon kipple company) if you're looking for a set. They are fantastic as you can well imagine coming from such a craftsman.

http://www.reddragonkipplecompany.com/intro.htm

Regarding your box lid, unfortunately I can't comment because this is entirely Brandon's build. I am sure he'll chime in and give you his opinion but if not, maybe drop him a PM and see what he says.

Regards
MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to blend one piece of wood (from another tree altogether maybe Confused ) to the rest of the lid. Depend on the stain/varnish/oil used in the finish. While putting it in the sun will lighten your wood, the light part will stay light anyway.

The trick is to cover your light part with a piece of cardboard and expose the "dark part" to the sun.
Do it for a day, then uncover the light part and see if it did the trick.
If not, repeat until you get the right effect.

Good luck
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello;

just to ask, Brandon, when can we expect the "fixed" chain to be shipped ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: