FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
USCSS Nostromo - Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Spread too thin?" Start buying crackers mate! Great work, as always, and take it easy in the future: we would like to keep you around for a long time to come:wink:
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaah, I'll never be tired to look at this ship...

Great work once again Steve, can't wait to see your next update !

Fred
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, just posting to let you all know I didn't die or anything, here a few new renders of the Nostromo.

Steve
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big "Wow!", right there...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, good stuff as always Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the update, Steve !
(LOVE the light effect in the second one !!!)

Fred
rikarus
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Was jsut bouncing around looking for what the Nostromo's layout might have been on the internet and didn't even know this thread was in here!

Amazing, fanatastic work all of you, it was a total pleasure to look at all the parts come together as you work on this!

bravo!
Colin Droidmilk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. This is my first post here, and I make it after being requested by a member to repost a piece I posted on the RPF about the design genesis of the Nostromo.

Every article I read on the net about this subject gives credit solely to Cobb for the final design, while Foss is sidelined. Below I set out the case for saying that Foss is in fact the true seminal force behind the design.

There is compelling visual evidence that Cobb and Scott 'cobb'led the Nostromo together from very early Foss concepts. The final design derives MASSIVELY from two very early sketches by Foss, one of which already features the ENTIRE DORSAL MODULE with its 2 giant intakes that sits on the top of the ship. The final design lifts this module - about 25 % of the ship - practically VERBATIM. The second drawing features a ship from which the final design has clearly derived the WHOLE CENTRAL HULL CORE, and general CONFIGURATION. Both sketches are described in 'The Book of Alien' as being among Foss's 'first designs' for the film. The first shows a space train with the final design dorsal module mounted on its top; the second shows a craft with 'Fountain Line' marked on its flank.

To counter the widespread notion that Foss produced only outlandish 'giger-esque' 'alien' Nostromos for the film, I'd also point out that he produced a great many very functional, boxy, workaday designs based on marine cargo vessels etc. I'd add that giant rectangular box-like intakes and engines had been present in Foss's work for years, while they're not much in evidence in Cobb's work. The giant boxes with the rounded edges that flank the Nostromo appear to be derived anyway from one of Foss's designs for the alien temple, which features very similar giant boxes with a very similar rounded edging. If you take the 'fountain line' ship, replace its flanking forms with the alien temple boxes, then stick the 'space train' module on the top, you've pretty much got 75% of the final design right there. This seems to me to be what Cobb and Scott did, whether consciously or unconsciously. Plus, every early Cobb design I've seen features streamlined, flattened, rounded, slab forms - the 'Snark' etc. But the final Nostromo is all lumpen boxes of the type Foss was drawing from the beginning - hell, since from before the film was even conceived.

I don't know how to include pics here, but you can find the Foss images I'm talking about here in my original post on the RPF : http://www.therpf.com/f45/prop-store-first-look-nostromo-legend-born-born-again-part-3-a-112532/ Go to 'Screen Used Props', Nostromo Part 3 and scroll down through the replies.

Last edited by Colin Droidmilk on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Colin Droidmilk...read with much pleasure your series of articles on the Nostromo on the RPF board. Very interesting for sure.
Eager to read more about it or other articles/projects you have in the pipe
Colin Droidmilk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome! I have to clarify I didn't write the Nostromo articles on the RPF, though; I only posted the Foss stuff above in the comments after the article...
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really happy to have you on board Colin... and YES, I totaly agree with you regarding Chris Foss' underestimated contribution to the Nostromo design !

I should add that Ron cobb and H.R. Giger were very lucky to have Sir Rid on their back on A L I E N because that wasn't always the case on some of the other movies they've worked on after...

Just compare Cobb's design work on The 3rd Day or Total recall and Giger's Sil in Species to what they have previously done on A L I E N and you'll understand they had a chance to give the best of themselves Foss never had because he was left aside at a certain moment during the creative process.

Fred
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Welcome aboard Colin Droidmilk...read with much pleasure your series of articles on the Nostromo on the RPF board. Very interesting for sure.

Anybody got a link to these articles on RPF? I haven't uncovered them by searching...?

THanks.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenGiddel86 wrote:
joberg wrote:

Anybody got a link to these articles on RPF? I haven't uncovered them by searching...?

THanks.

Here :
(It's mainly a re-vamp of the articles they posted on the propstore site last year, but worth reading though)

http://www.therpf.com/screen-used-movie-props-wardrobe/

Colin's pics attached to his first post above :

Colin Droidmilk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Really happy to have you on board Colin... and YES, I totaly agree with you regarding Chris Foss' underestimated contribution to the Nostromo design !

I should add that Ron cobb and H.R. Giger were very lucky to have Sir Rid on their back on A L I E N because that wasn't always the case on some of the other movies they've worked on after...

Just compare Cobb's design work on The 3rd Day or Total recall and Giger's Sil in Species to what they have previously done on A L I E N and you'll understand they had a chance to give the best of themselves Foss never had because he was left aside at a certain moment during the creative process.

Fred

That's one thing that's always puzzled me, actually... did Foss leave earlier than Cobb? It's hard to imagine Foss - not a man to let anyone walk over him - just looking on in silence as Cobb and Scott lifted that dorsal module and 'Fountain Line' hull... Though perhaps he was satisfied at the time. Maybe there was a conference, a moment where Scott had a late Foss epiphany and instructed Cobb to go back and check Foss' early designs, Foss himself having decided to leave or something. But if Foss was actually sidelined, told to get out by Scott, then I find that pretty scandalous, given the amount of stuff Cobb and Scott then went and took from his designs. Anyway, at least he gets equal credit with Cobb on the credits. And I'd add a final note of heresy, lol: I never liked the final design of the intakes on that top module as much as in Foss' image. The walls are too thick for me, because they sort of reduce the scale. Foss' wafer thin intake walls look more massive. But hey, that's just me!

That was an interesting point about Cobb and Giger producing great work under Scott and lesser work on their later film projects. But that's more likely to be down to them just running out of steam anyway. I mean, Giger's personal work also went downhill after the 80s, just as Scott himself went downhill eventually. And anyway, Giger had it all there on Alien. It's not like Scott told Giger to do jockey after jockey till he got it right, or derelict after derelict. Giger's first design for each was immediately accepted and painstakingly copied absolutely verbatim. For the most part Scott just stood back and watched, with his tongue on the floor. He didn't have to coax anything much out of Giger like he had to do with Cobb and Foss.

P.S I just saw you got my pics up! Fantastic, thanks!
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all points, totally true....

It seems as though the art department got to a certain stage then had to halt for some reason or another, most likely budget, and then the modelshop had to make the Nostromo from the images they had, which at that point were not a final set of blueprints that they could build the Nostromo from.

So at the point, we had not only the art departments input but the model makers input too with their design ideas as they were building the thing, and so with all this input from at least two concept artists as well as the modelshop, and Ridley at that point all thrown into the mix and out of it all came the ship we see on the film today.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right!

And as to there being no drawings/plans for the model, wouldn't there have to have been at least some plans for the structural framework to support the massive thing? (Especially since it has lasted all these years.) Seems like there would be some sketches...but maybe it's just all down to modeling magic by pros who love their work and are under deadline pressure...
Colin Droidmilk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenGiddel86 wrote:
Right!

And as to there being no drawings/plans for the model, wouldn't there have to have been at least some plans for the structural framework to support the massive thing? (Especially since it has lasted all these years.) Seems like there would be some sketches...but maybe it's just all down to modeling magic by pros who love their work and are under deadline pressure...

Apparently, a maquette was built from Cobb's final drawing. Scott then played around with this, altering it. And then presumably some kind of blueprints were made. But certain crucial parts such as the actual bridge area I think were designed on the hoof by the model team under Scott...Martin Bower probably. We know he designed the Narcissus and the umbilical bridge that connects the Nostromo to the refinery.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the maquette was based on Cobb's last drawing, not sure on the order; but below are two of the sketches plus two of the maquette. These lo-res pics are from Bill Pearson's collection of photos.
The maquette seems to take elements from both sketches.
I know there were no blueprints made of Nostromo before building as I was told this by Martin when I was working on the blueprints (earlier in the thread).
There was a front and side elevation sketch done of the bridge, but I do not have the image to hand and do not know who drew it (Fred, is this in the Colorvision book? Cannot remember.)
Agreed, more than likely prints and sketches were made by Martin, Brian Johnson and Nick Alderr and others when designing the rig / framework that would support the models, especially needed for the connection to the forklift truck during the landing sequence filming.

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:

I know there were no blueprints made of Nostromo before building as I was told this by Martin when I was working on the blueprints (earlier in the thread).
There was a front and side elevation sketch done of the bridge, but I do not have the image to hand and do not know who drew it (Fred, is this in the Colorvision book? Cannot remember.)

Sorry Graham, I just checked but the side and front elevation sketch of the bridge isn't in Colorvision... I have it in my files, yes... but where ??? (It appears in ALIEN MAKERS 1 iirc)

I also agree with everything that was said above... but I think the small Cobb sketch many workshop vets refer to as their only reference from the Art dept when they began work on the ship is this one :

It would make sense because here you have all the components and proportions of the final stage Nostromo (minus the 2 side engines) but in a very rough state... It gives you an idea of the team effort that was accomplished to deliver the final model as we know it !

Shocked

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin Droidmilk wrote:

That was an interesting point about Cobb and Giger producing great work under Scott and lesser work on their later film projects. But that's more likely to be down to them just running out of steam anyway. I mean, Giger's personal work also went downhill after the 80s, just as Scott himself went downhill eventually. And anyway, Giger had it all there on Alien. It's not like Scott told Giger to do jockey after jockey till he got it right, or derelict after derelict. Giger's first design for each was immediately accepted and painstakingly copied absolutely verbatim. For the most part Scott just stood back and watched, with his tongue on the floor. He didn't have to coax anything much out of Giger like he had to do with Cobb and Foss.

I agree regarding Giger... but from what I understood after reading some of his personal notes in Giger's Alien (Giger's book about his work on the film), I think Sir Rid's presence everyday at his side was persuasive enough to make Giger want to give him his best !

BTW, same remark could apply to Syd Mead on Blade Runner...
He gave his best under Sir Rid's direction ! (and took all credit for the Spinners design, although Jim Burns put the wheels in motion on these with the help of Lawrence G. Paul)

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 31 of 39

Jump to: