FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
USCSS Nostromo - Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't all these guys working together on Dune, and when that fell through reverted over to Alien just to help sell O'Bannon's script. IIRC Cobb came back to work on it, and then Giger did later, but the rest were already on to other things when production started. I may be wrong though. I can certainly see Foss in the refinery for sure. Cobb And Foss played off each other as well.

One of the things I loved about this movie is that the overall design work has that diversity that comes from having some of the absolute best artists working on it together, Ron Cobb, Moebius (Jean Giraud), H.R. Giger, and Chris Foss. Not to mention probably the best model makers in the business with creative chops of their own. Now days they usually only have one main concept artist, and all the stuff looks homogenized. Combine that team with Ridley's uncompromising eye, and you get a masterpiece.

Andy
Colin Droidmilk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to thank Skinjob for bringing me over here - this is a fascinating thread!
Looking at the maquette images above, it seems more obvious than ever that Scott - or someone- said, while reviewing the maquette, 'Tell you what. Let's have the whole of that old Foss module with its rear outlets and flaps and stick it on the top.' I stand corrected re the bridge - that originated with Cobb, sure, not the model team's. Hadn't seen that sketch before.

Didn't know Jim Burns had anything to do with Blade Runner, Skinjob. Interesting... is there a thread here anywhere with more on that?

The Nostromo is an odd beast. Scott seems to have gone out of his way to get it as ugly as possible. I mean, the maquette cuts a much more handsome figure in that profile photo than the final design does. And the bridge/nose on the final model looks almost as hostile (not alien, but grim and forbidding) as anything on the alien planet! I suppose the sheer bleakness of the ship is meant to reflect the heartlessness of the Company and the industrialisation that spawned it. And quite possibly that was the source of his frustration with both Cobb and Foss - not being pessimists like Giger, they struggled to provide Scott with the necessary desolation of spirit.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't argue that the film had a bunch of great artists with a variety of different experiences. It's fun to be surrounded by like-minded people, day in day out, that push you to do your best and come up with a great final product (budget, time being a constraint). I think that Ridley has a way to do that, as he said before: I have a vision, if you're with me: great! If you don't...well too bad for you mate!

That the Nostromo has a "gothic" look is no accident, it's almost the industrial versus the natural. The look of the planet, the Derelict, and ultimately the Xenomorph all that has a very "natural" look.
While the Nostromo, the refinery and its towers and, to a certain extend, its crew, belong into that Corporation, industrial feel that will have to face nature in its best form (the form that Ash likes so much: nor good, nor bad and free of conscience or guilt and simply respecting nature's program: feed and reproduce).

In some other discussion, the thought of the Nostromo being a refurbished military vessel (remember the yellow colour) had been discussed in some ways also, the look of the vessel was in direct opposion of movies like "2001 A Space Odissey"(clean and hospital white) and StarWars(beat up and dirty) before Alien. It was a used future for sure and a combination of an already re-used, refurbished world that Ridley, Giraud and others had envisioned.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin Droidmilk wrote:
Have to thank Skinjob for bringing me over here - this is a fascinating thread!

Thanks Colin ! (after reading some of your posts on the RPF, I was sure you would enjoy the conversation here)

Colin Droidmilk wrote:

I stand corrected re the bridge - that originated with Cobb, sure, not the model team's. Hadn't seen that sketch before.

Got that sketch from a former workshop vet and it's the first time I turn it public !

Colin Droidmilk wrote:

Didn't know Jim Burns had anything to do with Blade Runner, Skinjob. Interesting... is there a thread here anywhere with more on that?

Will post something about this in THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES later in the near future...

BTW, I found two other Foss concepts that show some influence on the final design of the Nostromo, at least on its engines flaps...

amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow from that angle it kind of looks like the Andromeda from Star Blazers. http://www.starblazersonline.com/1006.html
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the scoop Fred...glad to see that those drawings are still in good hands Cool
Colin Droidmilk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mon Dieux, Fred! Where did you find those two sketches? Almost brings a tear to the eye seeing 'new' 70s Foss... I really want to see every single drawing he did for the film, and for Dune, too, for that matter.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin Droidmilk wrote:
Mon Dieux, Fred! Where did you find those two sketches? Almost brings a tear to the eye seeing 'new' 70s Foss... I really want to see every single drawing he did for the film, and for Dune, too, for that matter.

Simply found them in one of the concept art galleries included in the ALIEN QUADRILOGY DVD set !

Fred
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sketch is even closer...
Credit goes to 'JD' at eagletransporter.com.

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I've already posted this one in the Narcissus thread many moons ago... with a better resolution ! (scanned direclty from the early 90's SFX book where I saw it)

I think it was done DURING the building process of the model, not before... At least, that's what I understood from what dennis Lowe recalled from these days !

Laughing

Fred
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Graham, I've already posted this one in the Narcissus thread many moons ago... with a better resolution ! (scanned direclty from the early 90's SFX book where I saw it)

I think it was done DURING the building process of the model, not before... At least, that's what I understood from what dennis Lowe recalled from these days !

Laughing

Fred

No wonder I didn't see it before, if it was on the Narcissus thread Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I know...

I posted it on the Narcissus thread at a certain point to underscore similarities we have between this early Nostromo concept and the final Narcissus model, at least on the nose shape...

Fred
Colin Droidmilk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
This sketch is even closer...
Credit goes to 'JD' at eagletransporter.com.

It's closer but that's because it's from right at the end of the design process, and therefore contains the heavy derivations from the specific early Foss sketches I mentioned in my first post, these being the module on the top, the hull core, and the idea of big boxy engines, already conceived by Foss while Cobb was still doing his streamlined slab forms. In the sketch here, Cobb, possibly at the behest of Scott, has assembled these pre-existing Foss elements and dressed them in his own style. The final model actually resembles the Foss elements even more, the top module becoming much more of a separate component with rear outlets and flaps, just as Foss had originally drawn it.

Last edited by Colin Droidmilk on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Fred, Starigger did post the sketch earlier on in this thread. This thread is two years old in a couple of weeks, I'm forgetting what's actually on it.
I'll need to go through each page again and refresh my memory.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
Actually Fred, Starigger did post the sketch earlier on in this thread. This thread is two years old in a couple of weeks, I'm forgetting what's actually on it.
I'll need to go through each page again and refresh my memory.

REALLY ???!!!

Shocked

Damn, must refresh my memory aswell... "my mind is going Dave" !

Laughing

Fred
Colin Droidmilk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
I know, I know...

I posted it on the Narcissus thread at a certain point to underscore similarities we have between this early Nostromo concept and the final Narcissus model, at least on the nose shape...

Fred

Always thought the Narcissus displayed its Gerry Anderson 'genes', lol. Definitely a bit of Eagle blood in there!

Last edited by Colin Droidmilk on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin Droidmilk wrote:
SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
I know, I know...

Fred

Always thought the Narcissus belied its Gerry Anderson 'genes', lol. Definitely a bit of Eagle blood in there!

I would rather say "Martin's blood" + some sweat here and there !

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how you'll know by just looking at the "look" of the models or spaceships if it was built in the U.K. or the U.S. Wink I think it's safe to say that there's a U.K. school and a U.S school of design and style.
I love the different approach each has.
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Space Jockey wrote:

I know there were no blueprints made of Nostromo before building as I was told this by Martin when I was working on the blueprints (earlier in the thread).
There was a front and side elevation sketch done of the bridge, but I do not have the image to hand and do not know who drew it (Fred, is this in the Colorvision book? Cannot remember.)

Sorry Graham, I just checked but the side and front elevation sketch of the bridge isn't in Colorvision... I have it in my files, yes... but where ??? (It appears in ALIEN MAKERS 1 iirc)

I also agree with everything that was said above... but I think the small Cobb sketch many workshop vets refer to as their only reference from the Art dept when they began work on the ship is this one :

It would make sense because here you have all the components and proportions of the final stage Nostromo (minus the 2 side engines) but in a very rough state... It gives you an idea of the team effort that was accomplished to deliver the final model as we know it !

Shocked

Fred

Away a couple weeks and all heck breaks loose...Fred, you keep coming up with new stuff. I like it very much. Surprised

Steve

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve !

Glad to see you back !!!

Cool

Neat rendering of the concept sketch... any news of your numerous ongoing 3D Nostromo projects, BTW ?

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 32 of 39

Jump to: