FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Model Spinner Ident ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Model Spinner Ident ? Reply with quote

Need some help identifying the origins of this. Its just under 4 inches long. Am I right in assuming it is one of the recast's made by the crew ? It's constructed of resin and is very light. The cockpit has quite a bit detailing inside with seats and a console

[/img]

amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot place it, but it looks very very familiar. I know I have seen it or something like it before. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in.

Good luck and welcome to our community!!!!!!!

Tom
Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also does anyone know how the small model spinners were supported flying along in camera ?
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who made it, but I recognize some of the details like the undercarriage and the wires near the front wheel pods. It looks like a modified version of one I have, which I got off of evilbay for about $30 with the wheel pods looking like they were cut off with a hacksaw in order to make it into a 'kit'. the funny thing is the one I bought looks like a dead ringer for the grey one you see occasionally on ebay for $$$ and the claim that it's screen used.

I don't think this model comes with a canopy, because the one that came with mine was a cheaply vacformed one that was untrimmed and took a lot of work to get it looking decent, and it still doesn't fit snug against the frame, making me think it was made after someone got the spinner casting. I did scratch build the drivers console on mine. When I got the spinner the driver's side had no console,

Have a look at these photos, You'll see the similarities and where they modified yours. But overall I believe it to be the same model. Which to its credit really is much more detailed than the Ertl spinners which were licensed.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very similar to that indeed apart from a few differences. The main one being it does not look like the front has been chopped off. A few other minor details like the cocpit seat looks different and obviously the canopy.
Can you confirm the dimensions at all ? Also what is yours made of ?
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ging, you won it! Well, I was bidding for it too... Very Happy Looks very rusty, but I love some details not seen in other models. Hope you take care of it!

Cheers
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was posted at the RPF, thought I would repost the link for the people here:

PIH Auction:
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/924-Spinner-filming-miniature-model-from-Blade-Runner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em14Q2el1318QQhashZitem230267025472QQitemZ230267025472#la-image-2
jfuste
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amish wrote:
This was posted at the RPF, thought I would repost the link for the people here:

PIH Auction:
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/924-Spinner-filming-miniature-model-from-Blade-Runner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em14Q2el1318QQhashZitem230267025472QQitemZ230267025472#la-image-2

Too expensive, I think. I've seen items more interesting and cheaper! But, its a matter of money and passion.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ging wrote:
It looks very similar to that indeed apart from a few differences. The main one being it does not look like the front has been chopped off. A few other minor details like the cocpit seat looks different and obviously the canopy.

Its just under 4 inches. Seems to be made of some kind of black resin, turns kind of grey when its sanded.

Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
Ging wrote:

Its just under 4 inches. Seems to be made of some kind of black resin, turns kind of grey when its sanded.

Sorry to be pedantic but placng a ruler on the front stabilser mine measures 3.7 inches. Looking from above I cannot see any cuts like the ones in your model. Do you know if this was done to all of the recasts ?

Could you give me a width measurement at all across the canopy and front stabilisers ?

Thanks
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ging wrote:
The Loyalizer wrote:
Ging wrote:

Sorry to be pedantic but placng a ruler on the front stabilser mine measures 3.7 inches. Looking from above I cannot see any cuts like the ones in your model. Do you know if this was done to all of the recasts ?

Could you give me a width measurement at all across the canopy and front stabilisers ?

Thanks

Here are some more photos next to a ruler so you can see the measurements:

I have no idea if the front wheel pods were cut off on other recasts or not. I don't know why it was done to this one, other than maybe laziness on the part of the caster in making the mold? Which makes no sense, as this is clearly a two part mold casting, so there really would have been no need to chop it up. At least the casting itself was fairly clean with not a lot of detail loss.

I have no idea as to the origins of this model, but it looks a lot closer to the Mead illustrations than the film used spinner.

it even has the upright on the left side where the gun was supposed to be mounted, although no gun was included in the box. The box was just a plain cardboard box with a sticker on it with a print of the spinner diagrams. No name or maker ID.

Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some photos with rulers but hopless working with mmages

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some pictures of two kits in the Spinner Dokuhon book on page 47 and 48 that match those measurements. Unfortunately I do not have a scanner or read Japanese. But they seem to be your model for sure, with just some modification on the window treatments to match the Spinner that WAS at the disney MGM lot in florida here...(bladezone link)

Andy
Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping my own post from the past Very Happy

This model is still bugging me. I did'nt post at the time this info incase it influenced anyone's replies. I still have it and have had bursts of trying to find out more about it.

As mentioned above it came off Ebay from a UK Seller. I did hold back some other information on the provenance on it. I did this as I wanted to do some more research on it myself but on and off over the years the only way I can find out more is open it up to other experts and also anyone who has followed Ridley Scott's career.

The model itself has an unusal feature on the back, there is a small hole which looks like something was pushed it to hold it up. This strikes me as strange, why would you ruin the model by making a hole in the back ? The front wheels have been chopped off and re-attached as stated previously

The provenance of the model itself might be the most intriguing. This was only imparted to me after the sale and I have no doubt to dis-believe what the vendor said as it might just me imagining this happended as I do recall at least one of these events.

The seller said it was a competiton prize but he could'nt remeber if it was from the UK Kids magazine Look-In or from a Saturday Morning TV Kid's show but it was won in a competition as being from the film.

This is where I might be getting a bit fuzzy in my old age but I do remember Ridley Scott doing a promotional TV slot on a UK TV Kid's how in the early 1980's for Blade Runner or it might have been Legend ?

The story sounds completely plausible as there were a lot of Kid's show in the early 80's on both of the UK's TV channels Very Happy

Any UK members remember this ?

I've tried looking at all the Look-ins for the arly 1980's but short of buying each one off ebay for silly money I've not found a reference to it.

I suppose the man himself would know if he was on the show ? Only contact I have is some talent agency in the US.

I'll conceed it might just be a custom modern model job but unless I see a similar one or if it was released in kitform it still bugs me Sad
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The miniature effects models did have a hole in the back. The paint job even looks like some of the screen used ones I saw. Could very well be screen made/used. It is weird that the laser mounts above the wheels were cut off though, but it does look like they were trying to aproximate the style of the one seen in the pictures above at Universal studios hollywood.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they used those "Mini-Spinners" for pre-viz? If so, the hole in the back of the model would make sense (usually, you "fly" your model-on-a-stick in front of the camera to show the movement/flight passes.
No need to do so with the real model: too akward to move (usually, the camera moves and not the model)...hope it helps.
Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
The miniature effects models did have a hole in the back. The paint job even looks like some of the screen used ones I saw. Could very well be screen made/used. It is weird that the laser mounts above the wheels were cut off though, but it does look like they were trying to aproximate the style of the one seen in the pictures above at Universal studios hollywood.

Andy

I have no proof at all it's screen used or a genuine prop, only what the vendor told me but that was not part of the sale's pitch. Only after I recieved it. The vendor was not a prop guy or anything to do with film props. It was just something they were selling. I will take some pictures tonight but the light is fading.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This particular model, or should I say the effects made ones, were given away as gifts after filming, and then cast, and recast a zillion times. Many other garage kits used it as the basis for their versions as well. I will look later tonight to see what I have in my records and show some of the evolution of these guys.

Andy
Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get decent photo's at the momment. I've created a library on photobucket for the ones I do have.

I am really keen to see if anyone can recall it being givern away as a prize.

Look-in magazine was huge in the UK and there were two Childrens TV shows that were massive with millions of viewers at the time Saturday Superstore and other regional shows.

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l139/ginggang/Spinner/
Ging
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
This particular model, or should I say the effects made ones, were given away as gifts after filming, and then cast, and recast a zillion times. Many other garage kits used it as the basis for their versions as well. I will look later tonight to see what I have in my records and show some of the evolution of these guys.

Andy

Andy , any joy in getting those photo's ? . I have uploaded some more pictures includingt the small hole on the back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: