FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Presenting: "SPEED" holster for the Tomenosuke Bla

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Presenting: "SPEED" holster for the Tomenosuke Bla Reply with quote

This is another unique piece.

This replica of the Deckard Holster was hand-made by Mr. Masao Komiyama of "SPEED" workshop in Japan. The project was commissioned by Mr. Nobutaka Toku, designer of the Tomenosuke Blaster. Mr. Hitoshi Umeda also contributed to the project.

This beautiful leather holster was made new based on observations of the holster as it appears in the film. It is not a modified off the shelf holster.

Once again my deep thanks go out to Mr. Komiyama, Ume-san and of course to Nobu-san for making this piece possible.

The holster in the film.

Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Presenting: "SPEED" holster for the Tomenosuke Reply with quote

Oh mate… That is a SWEET holster - warmest congratulations!!

They have been very good in recognising your contribution to the success of their model and this courtesy is a rarity these days.

I'm delighted!!

Highest regards

MARK

phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark!

And I agree, Nobu-san and the fine folks at Tomenosuke have been wonderful. Plus they make top-notch replicas, finest quality, superior workmanship. Cool

And the same goes for Mr. Komiyama and SPEED workshop!

Karl
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Most excellent workmanship here; congrats Karl Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you did get one of these Karl (as your "thank you" to them implies)? That is awesome on so many levels. Great to see these guys continuing their work around this prop. I hope they never give up, because they just keep topping themselves.

Andy
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I am the proud holder of one of these holsters.

I do hope that Tomen can be prevailed upon to make these available in some way, but considering the handmade nature of the piece, it may be unlikely. Still... if the Tomenosuke PRO has sold well, who knows.

This is just me blue-skying here BTW, the official word at present is "no". Shocked

k
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's very nice... I own one of Phil Steinschneider's C&S holsters and I have to say this one looks a little bit more screen accurate - the double stitching at the closed end of the holster and the closed end being a bit shorter on the Speed version. I do suspect that the C&S version may be longer to accommodate the various models of the blasters that are available - more of a one-size fits all vs. a custom fit for just the Tomenosuke version. Or perhaps it was fitted specifically for one of the C&S blaster variants.

I can say they both look very nice and I do really like the version I got from Phil. The other major difference between them is the location of the belt loop - the Speed version is fairly well centered both horizontally and vertically while the C&S version is shifted more to one side and is closer to the open end. Since I don't recall ever having seen an image of the back side of the holster, its placement would be totally speculative but I can say that with the slot on the C&S version being lower and the loop being higher it causes the holster to slant backwards a bit rather than hanging totally vertically from a belt. I'm thinking this may be intentional to help balance the weight of the grips a bit better, but I don't know for certain.

Here's a link to the C&S version for those of you that want to compare them - http://props.steinschneider.com/brblaster/csholster.htm
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Phil's and though it is very well made, and does seem to work okay with most blasters, but I find it to be a bit too small. You can see in the pictures above that the screen used holster covers the gun, and it sits fully inside the holster, but in Phil's the bottom of the gun sticks out a bit. It also seems to rise above and out more than the screen used. I think he used the large automatic pistol version of the 1001 holster, instead of the large revolver version for the basis. There is also a photo of the holster in an auction, and it looks like they never fully put the gun in the holster for photos, and maybe Phil used it as reference as well.

The belt strap on Phil's is also based on the 550 holster version, which is higher up and has an extra wing of leather for the second front belt loop slot so it wont interfere with the spring. In the film used version photos above, you can see in one it tilts forward, and the other it seems to tilt much further back. I suspect it is actually tilting more left to right, in position with him, and may have some play in the amount of movement it has. The Speed version seems to be angled and positioned closer to the film used version in my opinion.

My only issues with the Speed version are the bottom of the holster where they seemed to exaggerate the curve which I think is actually a little bit of an illusion. You can see it in the other Safariland's as it is stretched open, it seems to make it curve a little bit upward on the open side. But, when pushed down flat, it also straightens out. My other issue is that the leather is too light in color. Even new Safarilands have a little bit of an orange tan to them. That might be an easy fix though with a little bit of leather stain, if you could just keep it from staining the thread.

Over all though it looks pretty awesome. I also can say that Karl deserves this for sharing his photos with us, which he never had to do. We all owe him a debt of gratitude for his generosity.

Andy
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty!
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I have Phil's and though it is very well made, and does seem to work okay with most blasters, but I find it to be a bit too small. You can see in the pictures above that the screen used holster covers the gun, and it sits fully inside the holster, but in Phil's the bottom of the gun sticks out a bit. It also seems to rise above and out more than the screen used. I think he used the large automatic pistol version of the 1001 holster, instead of the large revolver version for the basis. There is also a photo of the holster in an auction, and it looks like they never fully put the gun in the holster for photos, and maybe Phil used it as reference as well.

Ah, yes I do see that compared to the screen used holster... but by that some token, I can see the LEDs and switch in the SPEED holster as well, so it's not fully covering the bottom of the gun either. I've never thought of the C&S holster being "too small." Rather you might consider it being too narrow as opposed to it being too long, as the C&S version definitely seems to be longer than the Tomenosuke version.

andy wrote:

The belt strap on Phil's is also based on the 550 holster version, which is higher up and has an extra wing of leather for the second front belt loop slot so it wont interfere with the spring. In the film used version photos above, you can see in one it tilts forward, and the other it seems to tilt much further back. I suspect it is actually tilting more left to right, in position with him, and may have some play in the amount of movement it has. The Speed version seems to be angled and positioned closer to the film used version in my opinion. .

OK, Im a bit confused here... I have no idea what you are talking about; 'an extra wing of leather for the second front belt loop slot"? There is a single belt loop on the back of the holster and a single slot to feed a belt through. When I actually tried the holster out on my belt, I noticed no interference of the spring(s) with it.

andy wrote:

My only issues with the Speed version are the bottom of the holster where they seemed to exaggerate the curve which I think is actually a little bit of an illusion. You can see it in the other Safariland's as it is stretched open, it seems to make it curve a little bit upward on the open side. But, when pushed down flat, it also straightens out. My other issue is that the leather is too light in color. Even new Safarilands have a little bit of an orange tan to them. That might be an easy fix though with a little bit of leather stain, if you could just keep it from staining the thread.

Over all though it looks pretty awesome. I also can say that Karl deserves this for sharing his photos with us, which he never had to do. We all owe him a debt of gratitude for his generosity.

My only issues with the Speed version are the bottom of the holster where they seemed to exaggerate the curve which I think is actually a little bit of an illusion.

OK, I'll except that.. but exactly what are you referring to? I'm assuming you are talking about the bottom opening of the holster around the ammo clip and LEDS, but I'm not certain from your description. Could you provide photos of this Safariland holster, because this is the first I've ever heard of it. Thanks,
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a grouping of real safarilands of mine...the 550's are in the middle...the spring is the thing inside the sewn in 'J'...

The Phil S. Holster is definitely shorter as well. The gun should fit in about a quarter of an inch deeper into the holster from the top down. The Offworld I put in my Phil S. one also shows a lot more of the clip that in his pictures. So do a lot of my other guns too.

The angle of the pictures and widening of the holster in the pictures is hard to tell...look at the picture of the Speed holster on the belt and then by itself, You can see how it looks identical in the picture to the screen used one pretty much, but it covers the gun fully when not being used, because it isn't being spread out by the weight of the gun.

There are a bunch of threads on Safariland's here. I will look for some that might be good.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic of the back of the real Safariland waist cross draw holster with the belt loop and "Wing" with belt slit...

From this thread with a lot of pics here...

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=181

I just noticed that my holster I got from Phil looks smaller than the one on his website. I wonder if he changed them after I had this discussion with him the last time Wink

Andy
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Here are a grouping of real safarilands of mine...the 550's are in the middle...the spring is the thing inside the sewn in 'J'...

The Phil S. Holster is definitely shorter as well. The gun should fit in about a quarter of an inch deeper into the holster from the top down. The Offworld I put in my Phil S. one also shows a lot more of the clip that in his pictures. So do a lot of my other guns too.

The angle of the pictures and widening of the holster in the pictures is hard to tell...look at the picture of the Speed holster on the belt and then by itself, You can see how it looks identical in the picture to the screen used one pretty much, but it covers the gun fully when not being used, because it isn't being spread out by the weight of the gun.

There are a bunch of threads on Safariland's here. I will look for some that might be good.

Andy

OK, I'm going to just shut up now. I DO recall now the pics of your Safariland holsters, having read some previous message threads Andy, but it just didn't click into my head until now that they were yours. Don't bother to try and locate links to your other threads or images, because it's pretty much a moot point... my idea of what I thought was a fairly screen accurate holster turns out to be just another blaster tale. Thanks for putting up pics though..
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCHWEEET!

Like others who have posted to this thread, I'm delighted to see the ongoing expressions of recognition, respect, and gratitude from Nobu and the rest of the team at Tomenosuke.

Actually, I'd say it goes beyond that now: you've established what seem to be wonderful friendships.

I'm happy for everyone involved -- including our BR community.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am honored and humbled by the amazing work done on my behalf by my friends in Japan.

k
RedArc
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow very nice holster !

Let´s see if i can grab something similar in the future somewhere .

Congrats for an awesome piece
nonner242
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need one of these! Very cool!
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... too bad it's a unique, one of a kind item. For the time being, at least.

Karl is one lucky fellow!
"995"victor-d
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT is a NICE Rig!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: