FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's "Napoleon" from the French director Abel Gance...Fred could probably confirm.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clutch wrote:
Is it just me, or is Kingdom of Heaven the longest movie in the history of movies?!

Yeh, lol.
It even has an "intermision"
I saw it on Film4 last night, here in the UK. It started at 9:00pm and finished at 12:40, lol.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Maybe it's "Napoleon" from the French director Abel Gance...Fred could probably confirm.

I thought it was Cecil B. de Mile's BIRTH OF A NATION (1915 / 190 min) but you're right Joberg, it looks like it's Abel Gance's NAPOLEON (1927 / 330 min) ! (I'v echecked on Wikipedia)

Fred

PS : And it's nathing compared to what happended this summer during the Avignon theatre festival in the south-east of France... One of the plays presented this year was 8 hours long !

Shocked
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, this is a KILLER thread.

Speaking of Cameron's new flick, have you guys seen the comparisons of Avatar to Delgo?

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/08/avatar-and-delgo-sitting-in-a-tree

Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Birth Of A Nation" was directed by DW Griffith....what's truly amazing about this movie is that lterally every single camera and editing device such as wipes fades iris in and out quick cuts ad naseum.....I mean every trick you can imagine....all before CGI....was done in THIS movie......the subject matter....Civil War / Slavery was and still is topical.....this is one of THOSE movies that every film school on the planet references......it's worthy...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope that they had packed a lunch Fred ...by the way, did you noticed on one of the cartoon image of Aquablue, the letters on the side of a tire are MEAD...kind of neat if it's on the side of a vehicule don't you think?
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassnoir wrote:
"Birth Of A Nation" was directed by DW Griffith....what's truly amazing about this movie is that lterally every single camera and editing device such as wipes fades iris in and out quick cuts ad naseum.....I mean every trick you can imagine....all before CGI....was done in THIS movie......the subject matter....Civil War / Slavery was and still is topical.....this is one of THOSE movies that every film school on the planet references......it's worthy...

OOOPS, sorry David, you're right, it's a DW Griffith movie !

Embarassed

Regarding all the tricks and devices used in the early ages of cinema and nowadays, they were almost all first experimented by Georges Meliès.
One of my friends told me that very recently a second version of one of his films (can't remember which one) was found with a slightly different angle than the other existing copy. The funny thing is he shooted both at the same time with 2 cameras side to side for 2 different customers but now, with a little digital magic, we'll be able to see this film in 3D in the near future !

joberg wrote:
I do hope that they had packed a lunch Fred ...by the way, did you noticed on one of the cartoon image of Aquablue, the letters on the side of a tire are MEAD...kind of neat if it's on the side of a vehicule don't you think?

From what I've heard, the play started at midnight and ended at 8 AM... I'm pretty sure that they had blankets, too !

Yes, the MEAD brand on one of the tires is a nice hommage !

Noeland wrote:
Damn, this is a KILLER thread.

Speaking of Cameron's new flick, have you guys seen the comparisons of Avatar to Delgo?

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/08/avatar-and-delgo-sitting-in-a-tree

Thanks a lot for the kind words, Noeland !

Yes, saw those comparison pics but I'm pretty sure the main influence came from AQUABLUE #4 instead... Cameron even mentions in some interviews that the AVATAR script was ready in 1994 and that he waited long years to get the proper technology to translate faithfully his vision to the big screen, blablabla... but you know what ?

AQUABLUE #4 was released in 1993.

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, but... Wait a minute !

Shocked

APOCALYPSE NOW is in my personal Top 3... I doubt AVATAR will ever have a chance to be in my TOP 1000 !

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about APOCALYPSE NOW, I really like this shot of Willard at the begining of the film because it tells more than it seems when you first look at it...

What do we see ? A guy is eating on the soil of his room, yes, but more important : He's turning his back to the light / his former life in the "real world" (the civilan life).

And why does he turns his back to the light ? Because he's eating in bowls arranged in his own shadow... He feeds himself on his dark side / madness ! (looks like the bowls are arranged like energy points in a sephirotic tree or at least that's what I like to see here)

This to say this shot is clearly establishing that Willard's (intimate) journey to the heart of darkness / Evil (Kurtz) has already begun when the film starts.

Fred

PS : Yes, we could also say that he's going to meet his dark father (Kurtz) at the end of the film, a little bit like Luke Skywalker meets his own "darth Vader" in STAR WARS (but hey, Lucas worked on APOCALYPSE NOW during preproduction, so it's not that surprising to find similarities here after all !)

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind me posting this in your topic Fred, i wasn't sure where else to post it.
Don't ask me where i find these, lol. I was flicking through the music channels and heard something familiar.
Listen to the words at the beginning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knu_ZZY4l4
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds familiar... Interesting find, Neil ! (one of the shots even looks like a scene from THX 1138)

Fred
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
(one of the shots even looks like a scene from THX 1138)

Sure does.
It's weird what Blade Runner, and other great movies, influence these days.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a director, if you went to art school, you immerse yourself into the classics (list is to big) and you're influenced by various ways of telling a story (screenplay, decor, props, actors, editing, music, etc)...and one of the classics is Blade Runner Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem IMO is that most of the time nowadays directors are using past movies as main references for their own movies when past directors used novels or art as references to their movies in order to create something NEW and exciting.

I'm thinking about Jean Cocteau taking inspiration into Gustave Doré's illsutrations for his version of La Belle et la Bête / Beauty and the Beast or Stanley Kubrick, Francis Ford Coppola or Sergio Leone taking myths and ancient texts such as The Odyssey as their main inspiration to create masterpieces such as 2001 : A Space Odyssey, Apocalypse Now or The Good, the Bad & the Ugly.

Those guys were CREATIVE while today filmakers are in most of the cases just RECYCLING (sign of the times).

Fred
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
As a director, if you went to art school, you immerse yourself into the classics (list is to big) and you're influenced by various ways of telling a story (screenplay, decor, props, actors, editing, music, etc)...and one of the classics is Blade Runner Cool

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
The main problem IMO is that most of the time nowadays directors are using past movies as main references for their own movies when past directors used novels or art as references to their movies in order to create something NEW and exciting.

I'm thinking about Jean Cocteau taking inspiration into Gustave Doré's illsutrations for his version of La Belle et la Bête / Beauty and the Beast or Stanley Kubrick, Francis Ford Coppola or Sergio Leone taking myths and ancient texts such as The Odyssey as their main inspiration to create masterpieces such as 2001 : A Space Odyssey, Apocalypse Now or The Good, the Bad & the Ugly.

Those guys were CREATIVE while today filmakers are in most of the cases just RECYCLING (sign of the times).

Fred

exactement!

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Fred, when you look at "Outland", you see that it's a variation of "High-Noon" even Georges Lucas was inspired by Joseph Campbell for StarWars...we could go on and on; from the ancient Greeks to the now, good human stories are the ones we tend to like because they're just that: human! You feel for the Replicants in BR, for example, because of their "humanity", not because they're machines with a brain.
Strip the special effects, the sets, etc...and it remains a very good story.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely right, joberg ! STORIES will ever be more important than SFX to make a great film !!! (and thanks a lot for your approval, precinct !)

OK, let's go back to APOCALYPSE NOW...

Cool

I'm 99% sure Dennis Hopper's character, the crazy photojournalist Willard meets in Kurtz's lair by the end of the film, was inspired by 2 real photographers who covered the Vietnam war : Sean Flynn and Dana Stone.

They disappeared on the Cambodian border in 1970 (keep in mind that Kurtz is established in Cambodia in the film) and were officialy declared dead in the mid 80.
If you look at photos of Flynn, Stone and Dennis Hopper's character, I'm sure you'll find similarities... more than a coîncidence IMO !

I also remember how Michael Herr talks about them in DISPATCHES, his most famous book (a memoir of his time as a correspondant for Esquire Mag during the Vietnam war, a really GREAT book)... and you know what ? Herr worked on the film, he wrote Cpt Willard's voice-over !

Fred

And just in case you'd like to see a few of Flynn and Stone photographs, some can be seen in this book by Horst Faas and Tim Page (2 famous photographers who also worked during the Vietnam war) :

REQUIEM : by photographers who died in Vietnam and Indochina (Random House / 1997)
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Fred ... you certainly do have a good eye for things.

I would agree with you about Herr's dispatches! I read it many years ago and was blown away. Also FYI, he mentions another interesting character in the book - a guy by the name of Dale Dye ... who was quite the bad-ass. He is now a major consultant for war films has a show or two and has been in pretty much everything from Platoon to Casualties of War and the list goes on.

and lastly i would completely agree with you about movies these days ... i was just talking to a friend about how sad the film industry has become. they dont even give the obligatory 20-year wait to remake a movie - they do it in less than 5 now. its pathetic. and in the end it is always about a good story. good FX are nice, but as we see every year, a blockbuster made by a room full of CGI guys is quickly forgotten. no substance. thankfully we have greats like Leone, Coppola, Kubrick, and Scott to ponder while we wait for another great film to come along (not holding my breath!).
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photek wrote:
Also FYI, he mentions another interesting character in the book - a guy by the name of Dale Dye ... who was quite the bad-ass.

Yup.
Dale has been in Saving Private Ryand and Band of Brothers.
He's also working on the new HBO series Pacific.

Great eye Fred Wink
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know that, for D. Hopper, this role was not a stretch; high on some kind of funny weed he was
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 7 of 26

Jump to: