FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's right. Also not exactly sound related, but when Deck goes up in the elevator, the image of the elevator display lights playing on his face is a similar effect used in Alien with the monitor displays. Not sure if that scene features any of the same sounds tho.

I always did wonder how they did that effect, projecting the light images so clearly on the actors faces.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
Yeah that's right. Also not exactly sound related, but when Deck goes up in the elevator, the image of the elevator display lights playing on his face is a similar effect used in Alien with the monitor displays. Not sure if that scene features any of the same sounds tho.

I always did wonder how they did that effect, projecting the light images so clearly on the actors faces.

Thanks guys !

Yes, I clearly remember this effect, now... You can see it on Lambert and Dallas faces, if I remember well... (same kind of effect in Leon's tub, when Deckard finds the snake scale)

I must admit that I don't remember where / when the sound Andy's talking about is heard in A L I E N... (although I understand what he's talking about in BLADE RUNNER...)

It's maybe the sound heard in MOTHER / MUTHUR's room ???
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found an interesting photo in an A L I E N japanese program...

It's interesting because, although this pack of cigarettes is never shown on screen, it looks like Kane (and I suppose Lambert and Brett, too) is smoking GITANES (= GIPSY in english), a french cigarettes brand... These yellow paper / "papier maïs" cigarettes look a lot like the BOYARDS featured in BLADE RUNNER, but they are thinner... (they're still produced nowadays)

The official Nostromo cigarettes are the mysterious BALAJI IMPERIAL (designed for the film, just like the ASPEN BEER), but I think the propmasters used GITANES to fill the BALAJI packs displayed all over the ship...

More interesting, look at this very ancient pack of GITANES "VIZIRE"... Looks familiar, hu ? (but these were made using white paper, not "papier maïs" and they're not produced anymore... just like the BOYARDS !)
Shocked

One thing is certain, I think Sir Ridley likes french "papier maïs" cigarettes a lot !
Razz
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The packaging is so similar Fred, were they owned by the same company
at any stage? and thanks for the gypsy translation, you learn something new here everyday. Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Gitane means '' gypsy woman''. Gitan: ''gypsy man''.
Yes, I know we french speaking people have the masculine and feminine not only for people but also for objects
As for the cigarettes, or any other ''special prop'', people seem to forget that Mr. Scott comes from the world/school of commercials, hence his propensity to re-arrange props (whisky bottle, cigarettes, pipes, buddha heads, recycling of images/sounds, etc.) for the sole purpose of creating an image that has the right ''ambiance'' and look/feel according to his sense of esthetic and thus making each and every shot a specific ''tableau''reflecting the mood of the scene. Many times the decor is the only character in the movie. That can drive any set decorator/prop master crazy since each set-up is different from the other one! It's not about continuity; it's about artistry in a 30 sec. shot.
Sorry if I'm babbling here... Mod, feel free to move that thread elswhere if you wish.[/i]
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
The sound of the lights swooping through Deckard's apartment IIRC.

Andy

Wasn't that the same sound used in the MOTHER computer room?

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:

It's maybe the sound heard in MOTHER / MUTHUR's room ???

The Loyalizer wrote:

Wasn't that the same sound used in the MOTHER computer room?

I think we've definitely tracked the same sound, here !!!

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
The packaging is so similar Fred, were they owned by the same company
at any stage? and thanks for the gypsy translation, you learn something new here everyday. Very Happy

Tim,

These cigarettes were produced and sold by the SEITA, the goverment's organisation who had monopoly on tobacco in France (and still has, I think).

This to explain the similarities in the packaging of both brands...

I wonder too if those were first produced for the french army, since BOYARDS CAPORAL means BOYARDS CORPORAL. These CAPORAL were distributed to the troops, just like another very famous brand, the GAULOISE CAPORAL...
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Yup, the sounds too. Smile

Great !
So, would you please tell us where to find the A L I E N sound re-used in Deckard's apartment ??? (haven't identified this one, yet)

Thanks !

If you mean the slow pulsing/undulating sound when Deckard returns to his aprtment at the end of the film, then it's in the scene in ALIEN where Dallas and Ash (IIRC) go looking for thing thats fallen off Kane's face in the Nostromo's medical bay.
It's also used in The Empire Strikes Back when Luke is looking for Darth Vader in ths shadows of Cloud City (during their duel)
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Deckard kills Zhora and talks to Bryant, notice the ancient car that follows Bryant's spinner when they drive off. lol!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

precinct wrote:
SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Yup, the sounds too. Smile

Great !
So, would you please tell us where to find the A L I E N sound re-used in Deckard's apartment ??? (haven't identified this one, yet)

Thanks !

If you mean the slow pulsing/undulating sound when Deckard returns to his aprtment at the end of the film, then it's in the scene in ALIEN where Dallas and Ash (IIRC) go looking for thing thats fallen off Kane's face in the Nostromo's medical bay.
It's also used in The Empire Strikes Back when Luke is looking for Darth Vader in ths shadows of Cloud City (during their duel)

Interesting... I'll go check this as soon as I have 2 minutes left... THANKS precinct !

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about recycling: the columns in Tyrrel's main room/bedroom are re-used in the street shots and are covered with Chinese writing.
Columns used at street level (when Decks and Gaff are across the street from the Yukon) are used in the final shots of Deckard jumping over the roofs...
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Talking about recycling: the columns in Tyrrel's main room/bedroom are re-used in the street shots and are covered with Chinese writing.
Columns used at street level (when Decks and Gaff are across the street from the Yukon) are used in the final shots of Deckard jumping over the roofs...

Yep, that's right !
BTW, The bonzaï tree seen in Tyrell's office was re-used in Deckard's apartment and the huge candelabras seen aside Tyrell's bed can be seen too sitting on the Snake Pit bar...
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the NOSTROMO was intended as a kind of French / English spaceship (like the supersonic aricraft Concorde was when A L I E N was in production) since there's some French markings on that ship...
(Of course, I've noticed there's an American flag outside the ship's cockpit, but it could have been sold to the US after completion)

See by yourself...

Below : Aside Kane's monitor we can read "INTERIEUR" (INTERIOR in english).

Below : On this spanish lobby card, we can read "VENTILATEUR" (VENTILATOR in english) near Ripley's seat on the main bridge.

Below : When Ripley tries to stop the ship's auto-destruction procedure near the end of the film, she reads something in French that says :

Prenez le NUCLEAR BOLT CODE No 1. Vérifiez CRAMPON DE LACHEMENT.
Exécutez INSERTION/BOULON No 1 à la cale No 1.
Vérifiez SECURITE du SOMMET NUCLEAR.
Vérifiez SECURITE du SOMMET NUCLEAR. Vérifiez la DETONATION ACTIVE.

(This text can be seen bottom right of the screencap)

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he was going with the whole polyglot language thing, suggesting that in the future foreign words would be commonly incorporated into everyday speech.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridley Loved Heavy Metal (Metal Hurlant) magazine and had Jean "Moebius" Giraud working on it. Maybe it was a nod to them?

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, like the crew of the International Space Station, the crew of the Nostromo could have been an international crew...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the patches made and used for the movie there was an American and British version of the triangle patch.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're all right, guys !

Ridley loved METAL HURLANT so much that he said it was a major influence on him even before A L I E N, when he was considering a fantasy adaptation of TRISTAN & ISOLDE.

Moebius and Dan O'Bannon's story THE LONG TOMORROW was one of the main influences of BLADE RUNNER, at least in the early stages of development, it's obvious when you compare Ridleygrams and Moebius pages...

Regarding the tricentenial patches, Brett wears the american version while the UK one can be seen on Lambert's spacesuit (it's located on the left of her bottom). I think there's another of these on the kid version of Kane's spacesuit, too... so this would mean that Brett is american while Lambert and Kane are english. I think that I remember reading that Ripley was born on the Moon, if I remember well her biography from the 20th anniversary DVD edition)

A last thing regarding the french / english NOSTROMO hypothesis : On one of Ron Cobb's NOSTROMO designs, the boosters are supposed to be Rolls Royce... like the Concorde aircraft built by the french and english ! (but the engines of the supersonic plane were built by Rolls Royce and S.N.E.C.M.A., a french organisation devoted to aircraft technology)

Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While watching the making of Kingdom of Heaven on the director's cut DVD, I saw something that made me instantly think of A L I E N...

Sir Ridley likes to display bowls on top of things !

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 2 of 26

Jump to: