FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Fred...wall is actually part of the cheminey mantel (typical Eastern Country).
Are you saying that if Tyrell would produce a "Rachael Model" every 4 years she could be a...Vampire? You know, living forever without the knowledge of having lived before?... Confused
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Good one Fred...wall is actually part of the cheminey mantel (typical Eastern Country).

What do you mean exactly JB ? To my eyes this looks like a street scene...

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is my 2001st post...

This to say I had no other choice than share something related to 2001 : A Space Odyssey...

I recalled these 2 old french commercials recently, hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do !!! (Spacemen without gloves in space, lol)

Cool

Fred

There's also a Chriss Foss inspired ship in this one, very close to one of his early designs for the Nostromo !

Videos can be found here :

http://www.ina.fr/pub/immobilier-et-habitat/video/PUB3249405039/ucar-le-vaisseau-spatial.fr.html

and there :

http://www.ina.fr/pub/produits-d-entretien/video/PUB3249855022/glassex-le-vaisseau-spatial.fr.html
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun vids for sure Fred Cool ...as my previous post was not very clear (and you're right, it's a street scene). What I meant is that "block" look is typically find on those big cheminey mantle you'll find in the Eastern block contries (ex-Soviet also). Usually placed in the corner of a room it provided for a long staged heating system: those outside blocks radiate heat for a long time Wink
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting vids.

So, those MOONRAKER space suits are still out there - or were, rather.

Cheers!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jens2133 wrote:
Interesting vids.

So, those MOONRAKER space suits are still out there - or were, rather.

Cheers!

What ??? Do you mean these were initially suits used at the end of MOONRAKER ??? (must admit I didn't see it but I know there's a sapce battle between astronauts)

Shocked

Fred
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, all!

Fred, you're absolutely right, the space battle is what I am referring to.

It is in true Thunderball fashion, a squad of US Space Marines (silver/grey suits) fighting Drax's private army (same suit, yellow color).

I've found this photo on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aybekay/3475456167/

I may be mistaken, but the helmet does seem to be the right thing.

Lovely 2001-ish design, I think.

Cheers,

Jens
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting vintage advert's Fred, though it's no surprise that these suits ended up in a french commercial, Moonraker was primarily shot in France, using 3 separate film studio's, (not a popular decision with film makers in France at the time) I believe the Epinay studios was one of them? this was due to new tax laws in the UK introduced at the time of filming.
Jacques Fonteray was the costume designer for Moonraker, these suits later found their way over to the UK as the space suits used in Red Dwarf, minus the helmets, instead they used the ever popular Outland helmet and backpack.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting find indeed (it's amazing the amount of info you can find on this board) . Thanks guys for that titbit concerning the costumes of Moonracker.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting info nex & Jens, thank you !!! I didn't even know Moonraker was shot in France ! (and YES, these helmets definitely look a little like the ones seen in 2001 ASO... almost same neck rings and they also have what looks like memory packs on their back)

Shocked

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing MAJOR FATAL, one of Moebius' albums I love the most the other day and found 2 panels that reminded me of a famous scene in the first LOTR film...

Weird how creations made in opposite sides of the world and distant from 3 decades look so close !

Fred

PS : I titled Moebius' drawings "ambush in stone forest" because it's written "the stone forests" (in french of course) in the margin of the page where I found them...

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Fatal Shocked wow Fred...decades since I read that one!
Who knows? Maybe the artists working on LOTR read Moebius when young, or Moebius read LOTR and was inspired later on...difficult to say Wink

Good one nonetheless Fred Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JB, look at this, I found something else !

Some details of this Ridleygram (on the left) look very similar to what we can see here and there in these Moebius' late 70's pages (on the right), taken from the Approche sur Centauri short story... (chair and pilot, helmet)

Cool

Fred

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you can see the influence for sure...I forgot; didn't the main character of that short story vomits at the end? Laughing ...it's been a while since I saw that one, but I'm pretty sure that's what he does,
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Yep, you can see the influence for sure...I forgot; didn't the main character of that short story vomits at the end? Laughing ...it's been a while since I saw that one, but I'm pretty sure that's what he does,

Yep... You're right JB ! (must admit I would also have in the situation he went through... and I don't talk about what could have happened at the bottom of my flight suit !)

Fred
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A post devoted to Jim Burns' Spinners.

Although never credited (at least to my knowledge) for his contribution to the film, some of his Spinner concept sketches can be seen in the Blade Runner Sketchbook, pages 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12.

I believe he was the first artist who tried to design the famous flying cars before Syd Mead came on board... The color sketches posted here come from page 72 his artbook LIGHTSHIP. On page 73 of the same book you can also see color versions of the sketches shown on pages 6 and 11 of the Blade runner Sketchbook.

I tried to contact Mr Burns to talk about his involvement in BR but his agent told me he was too busy to answer my questions right now... (Damn BR Mafia !)

Shocked

Fred

PS : In the first sketch you can read the word "GENIE" on the car...

clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An electric shaver turned car. I like it.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Jim Burns' drawings when I first saw them...and as you said Fred, an inspiration for some of the design seen in the movie. TFS !
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mates for the cool comments !

Cool

OK, another post devoted to Moebius. (I still can't believe he died 2 weeks ago)

There's a story in the comic book L'Homme est-il Bon ? ("Is man good ?" in english) that had some influence on A L I E N at a certain point during production, and it looks like they took inspiration from it again on Prometheus... The story is titled L'Univers est bien petit (it's such a small universe).

I believe the spaceship of the heroes inspired the look of the refinery, at least at the begining of production, when Sir Rid began to storyboard the film... Same flat silhouette with boosters below :

There's also a scene that reminds me a little of the undocking graphics that were also used in BR. Not the same visuals at all but same feeling / frame :

In this story, the heroes land on a planet where they discover a derelict... There's also a small reptilian alien on that planet and at some point by the end of the story his head is full of blood, looking a little like a Chestburster...

Shocked

Anyway, since I saw the first Prometheus trailer I had the feeling they took inspiration in that story again... Look at this :

The arch that includes some commands inside the cockpit looks rather similar to what we can see in the helmets of the Prometheus astronauts. These neat helmets look a lot like this cockpit in the end.

Inside the cockpit you find a girl who wears a helmet rather similar to the ones worn by the Prometheus astronauts... and look on her chest... See this necklace ? Yep, it reminded me instantly of Weylan Yutani wings !!!

Et voilĂ ... More soon on Prometheus ! (but in another thread devoted to that film, not here)

Fred

PS : You also had the story The Long Tomorrow (the short story that influenced the look of BR) in the L'Homme est-il Bon ? book.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar imagery...the helmet is very Moebius for sure(Ova ).
TFS Fred; love those comparisons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 20 of 26

Jump to: