FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Police Headgear Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Police Headgear Project Reply with quote

Hey Guys, been working on this for a while, its not completely finished but enough to put it out there. Ive tried to scratch build as much as possible but the ear muffs have proven to be the most difficult to reproduce and im still working on those. The only tip i have for anyone wanting to do their own is to get as large a hat as possible, this ones a small, which made it hard to get things to fit properly........

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim !

That's neat !

I'm working on the same kind of project, but I'm still trying to get the different (and screen accurate) elements ! You're right about the cap... Bought a size 7 at a really cheap price and it's way tooooo small for the face shield !

Can't wait to see your's completed !

Fred
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally Fred, i got a great US Military Riot Faceshield, but the hat was too small, so i found a workmans version that was flexible and the plastic
can be cleanly cut with a sharp set of scissors, found it at a large Auto accessories franchise here. Hope this helps.................

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on one myself, and am going in a different less accurate route on the shield myself. Mine is a typical motorcycle flip up shield I am planning on snapping on the outside of the brim/visor.

I am curious about your hood/helmet liner that you used? Your leather version looks pretty close. The visor lite is a nice touch BTW.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,
Heres the EbayUS item# for the same one, 170270443286 (sorry, not sure how to post ebay links)
I had to cut it to shape and stitched some piping around the edge. The trick was to put some fuse wire inside the lining around the neckline, it allows the shape to be molded for a snug fit. Btw Andy,did you ever id
the molded earmuffs used in the original, they are proving very hard to reproduce.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was already watching that auction. I guess you cut the chin strap off then?

That seller has some cool reproductions. I like his German flight cap with the zipper ears too. I actually bought the gloves from them for the police outfit.

The molded earmuffs are actually the shoulder protectors from the same motocross gear that the police armor came from.

Andy
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive! Was thinking about these the other day.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY cool thread, and way cool project.

Don't forget to stencil a number on the visor!!

Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, will get right on to the stenciling, its all about the detail Cool
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, this is the hat used in the project. Its a vintage US Mail hat. I think its the perfect shape for the job, was lucky enough to have a friend in the wardrobe dept at work to cover it in a thin , leatherlike material, she did a great job. This process can be done on any hat so its easy to find somethig suitable if you want to start your own project.

Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been asked about the inner visor and leather liner so have put up these pics for reference..............

I am still not happy with the way the visor turned out so am working on a better version using the same parts. The yellow gel is called "lighting gel"
and you can easily get some by buddying up to the roadie at your nearest live music venue. Remember to glue each layer only on outer edge only one at a time, with the first one being set on the model head to keep the shape. The inner liner will have to be cut to shape and stitched with pipeing.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked this up today, very happy as now i can finish the headgear and make a start on a jacket and vest replica. The chest protector and shoulder pads were found using a sinisalo/jt racing search and thanks to Andys research, has been confirmed as the ones used in the movie.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff; keep up the good work!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uggh, I was bidding on that one for Fred, and wasn't able to get to my computer to raise the bid on it. I thought the guy wasn't willing to ship worldwide, that is why I was helping out. If so it might mean my bid is still good. If not I will make it up to Fred.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Uggh, I was bidding on that one for Fred, and wasn't able to get to my computer to raise the bid on it. I thought the guy wasn't willing to ship worldwide, that is why I was helping out. If so it might mean my bid is still good. If not I will make it up to Fred.

Andy

Please do not worry too much about this Andy, I'm really glad Tim got this one ! (and I miss some eBay auctions too from time to time... It drives me crazy when this happens, but hey, it's part of the game !)

Fred

PS : I confirm that the seller said that he didn't wanted to sell abroad... Tim, how did you do to be allowed to bid on this ???
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, the win is not so sweet now. I made an offer to him when i found the piece, he said i would have to bid and no shipping overseas. These
questions were even listed on the auction page, which i hate. I then just went through the auction process.
All may not be lost though, My main reason for getting this was for the shoulder pads to finish my headgear, I am not totally convinced i will
work on the rest yet, so many projects i want to get started such as lightboxes for the street signs, vid-phon and a fully prac walk/dont walk sign with audio, so you may still get the chest protector. Will keep you informed. Its also hard because here, we dont see who we are bidding against, the names are disguised.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy wrote,
Quote:
If so it might mean my bid is still good

Sorry, its gone.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
Fred, the win is not so sweet now. I made an offer to him when i found the piece, he said i would have to bid and no shipping overseas. These
questions were even listed on the auction page, which i hate. I then just went through the auction process.
All may not be lost though, My main reason for getting this was for the shoulder pads to finish my headgear, I am not totally convinced i will
work on the rest yet, so many projects i want to get started such as lightboxes for the street signs, vid-phon and a fully prac walk/dont walk sign with audio, so you may still get the chest protector. Will keep you informed. Its also hard because here, we dont see who we are bidding against, the names are disguised.

Tim,
please do not worry too much about this, Andy already helped me buying another one a few weeks ago... Again, I'm really glad you had an opportunuity to pick this one ! (I would have known you were already interested in this, I would never have asked Andy to bid for me)
Wink
Fred
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I not only did not get Fred the one he asked for by bidding the amount he asked me to, but also raised up the price you had to pay Tim. Glad you got it for sure and can't wait to see what you do with it.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy and Fred, its all good, you guys have helped me countless times. We all could still win as i may not build up the vest, so it goes to Fred, and i think ive found a company that can do the patches without a minimum order, so thats a win for you both. All i wish now is that the seller is a good one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: