FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
VK machine possible group project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the understanding guys...I appreciate the patience from the members of this board concerning the completion of that particular prop.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the saga continues; I made another buck of the V.K. (top and bottom) now to find the right manufacture to do the vacu-forming.
Stay tuned
Gero
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a company in Germany Vakuform parts manufactures and implements appropriate and project consulting.

Here´s the Link: http://www.vakuform.de/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Gero, but I'm trying to maintain cost at a low price, hence trying to find a local, or not too far, manufacturer for the vacu-forming. I need a few things to be done with that kind of process:

1) The top and bottom of the machine (biggest parts).
2) The bellows (4 in total).
3) The 2 small screens (tentative).

Local is always better, I can keep a close eye on the quality being produced. I don't want to have the first machine to look better than the following run in terms of quality (consistancy is my goal here and I want to achieve it by having the same product throughout).

It's been a challenge, and I'm learning everyday about the manufacturing process and its good/bad side(s) and how small business has to make a profit. As for me, I've a tradition on this board to give a lot of stuff for free to the members (when I can) and by keeping a low price for that prop my profit will be minimal at best.
For the people who know me, I'm certainly not making this prop for that reason only; I'm doing it for the love of building and for the pleasure of putting that V.K. into the hands of someone who'll appreciate it for what it is. That's why every penny I have put into that project is mine and I'll only ask for people's money when I have a run in place and already built machines. I don't want to take more than I can chew since my reputation and my character are very dear to me.

Thank you again for your patience and stay tuned...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, despite the new buck and a few tries on the vacu-machine the webbing persists as well as the orange peel effect Confused We tried with black PETG (lighter plastic) & ABS(the webbing was the worst with ABS).
Sooo, plan B is to drop that buck into silicone and make a mold, then I'll try slush casting with Amerilite. I'll still vacu-form the bellows, at least these worked the first time , I just have to decide on the kind of plastic they should be produced in.
If the slush casting works, I'm thinking of producing all the remaining pieces using the same kind of process. It's just to establish a routine of making sure I'm not waisting too much product.
The main box with the 2 small screens on top of the V.K will be made by another company altogether and they gave me a great price to produce those.
Back at work
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onwards and upwards J, your efforts are much appreciated. Cool
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim It's really a "Trial by Fire": I'm learning everyday...on the job training kinda thing. But I'm determined to see the "end" of it, that is a final product, painted and delivered to happy customers!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally found someone who could do the bucks: top and bottom of the V.K. bellows, the different boxes etc...
After those are made out of MDF, I'll put them into silicone, make molds and see if I can use Alumilite or resin to make slush casts.
The gentleman doing the work said that the whole work would be finished by the end of May (he has other projects in the works before he can start my stuff Crying or Very sad )...Man you gotta be patient with this project Confused

...and the saga continues.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well folks, here we are...or should I say: we are nowhere Crying or Very sad I should apologize to everybody waiting to have news on the V.K. project.
It will not happen I'm afraid. The main reason: the funds I had allocated myself to start and finish a complete machine (and molds, bucks, various materials, electronic components, etc) are dry...and the various people whom I ask (and paid) to produce the major pieces for me have either not produced the quality I asked for, or have simply refused to take on the job.
The second reason: this was to be my first "run" of a prop and if I had known what the whole project was about I would've had a change of mind from the get go; I simply don't have the necessary tools and space to do it either, that's why the farming out of the main components would've rendered this prop too expensive in the end...again, my apology to everybody Crying or Very sad ; maybe one day, someone will produce it on a small run (Birdie or Kaybur?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: