FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
VK machine possible group project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody identified the metal case the vk is kept in?
Delmustator
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest using portable DVD players and their screens for the displays. They come in a variety of sizes and are relatively lite weight. Then you could have 3 different items being displayed via a DVD rather than a static display.

Portables are a dime a dozen these days and would really give the VK the look and display feel of the hero. The screens are easily removed from the enclosures and rewired to work detached from the main player.

Then some creative video recording and splicing and your all done.

Making the arm deploy is easy with a few model aircraft servos. I suspect this is how it was done on the hero.
Birdie
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
anybody identified the metal case the vk is kept in?

My best guess would be some kind of power tool case. It appears to have small rubber feet on the bottom.
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what they used as a briefcase, but at this point in time, whatever it was can't be common. The advance of technology is exponential, and if it was a case made for electronics, it will be mostly in landfills. If it was a designer briefcase, ditto, because in 1982, it would not have to accommodate laptops, which didn't exist.

Lastly, robotics and model airplane/boat/car components are now common, but still, any model servos will have to be run from an IC control chip, unless one wants to push a lot of buttons. Best rule is KISS-- Keep it simple, stupid.

I'll experiment and make some archival 40 lpi lenticulars. Ink, paper, and lensing should run about ten bucks. I won't mass produce them outside of this project. Many fans won't have the bucks to buy actual display electronics. (Don't ask me yet, because until there's a shell, I won't respond to any inquiries. And maybe someone else can do it better faster and cheaper...) Since Birdie already has said shells would be available for do it yourselfers, there are lots of options. Also a lenticular could function as a place holder, with an inexpensive backlight, until the economy changes and someone with a machine wants to upgrade to a better display system.

REMEMBER. THIS IS NOT A REAL VK. IT IS A TOY-- A MODEL. IT WILL NOT ANALYZE PUPILARY RESPONSE, ETC. This applies no matter how much you spend on it. So don't go crazy, 'eh?

Doc
Birdie
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said. I'm liking the lenticular idea a lot - better than a simple backlit screen, and more realistic than running real video screens.

I'd love to see a VK that works like in the movie, but like Andy pointed out, no-one has managed to nail an accurate static prop yet. Let's walk before we try and run
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know what they used as a briefcase

It was a Haliburton of some kind I believe.

Nick Daring ID'd it in the "web of props" thread over on the RPF if memeory serves.

I own a few Haliburton's. They're pretty damn cool.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdie wrote:
Quote:
Let's walk before we try and run

I think it is very important that as many people with as many ideas as possible contribute to this as it is purely a topic of discussion at this point.
Perhaps the final result of all this will be a "how to" guide with all the parts sourced and available to those willing to do their own, so the more
who are involved, the greater the chance of another picking up the ball
if someone drops out.

Using the same technology that allows me to watch BR on my $30
mp4 player should see main screen sorted, some sourced eye footage
looped on a chip hooked to a cheap, thin and square LCD should deliver the quality desired and fit within the budget of most. There is a building
the blimp thread on site that highlights this.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know the large monitor on the unit displays the eye close up. The other two smaller screens appear to be reusing screen display images that appear in Alien on a number of the monitors in the ship. However I can't recall ever seeing a clear screen of what those images are.

One looks like some kind of oscillating waveform, the other suggests some kind of numbers or ladder scale.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into the idea that the case was a Halliburton, but too many things didn't match. It did also have some similarities to a Pelican case too, but I have a feeling it is another camera or equipment case that was used. Maybe the guys on the RPF IDing the Star Trek cases may have some clues.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there may be enough footage to run the smaller screens
in the film itself if it is possible to isolate and enlarge the few seconds of footage and run it in a loop, taken off a blu ray it should look spot on.
Not familiar with home editing technology so if there are any boffins on the subject please enlighten us.

doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask a buddy who used to work for Digital Domain and see if he can come up with anything...

Doc
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've got the case business figured out. Once we have a viable VK machine, we make the case, and are sure whatever goes in will fit. Any case that's reasonably close can be patterned with ribs, etc so it looks like a film VK case. Then build a vac form a shell that will cover said existing inexpensive case. Viola. VK case. Forget trying to find some twenty five year old piece of luggage.

Doc
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been searching around on ebay and there are literally thousands of mp4 video players with various screen sizes that sell for as little as a dollar.
Im going to buy one and see if the screen can be seperated from the
body easily and if so, once a looped movie file is uploaded we have a tiny,totally self contained, non heat producing, battery powered display scource for less than 10 bucks,
need two of course.
Set behind some magnifier glass or plastic might even make it look better.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these or something similar could be incorporated in the machine
design then we have an easy solution without having to modify anything, just need to be able to access them easily.
They probably wont sit flush so set back a little using a magnifier of some sort would possibly work.

Heres just one example from ebay, the seller has constant auctions for the same item, so if we do this individually or we can do a deal with the seller, or another seller if someone finds something better etc.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270329050529

All we need then is to either capture the actual movie footage or recreate it somehow and then everyone can download it.
Im only putting forward options people so please contribute if you have something.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys check this out............

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_1330366_VK_Test_.htm

Its an ad that ran here a couple of years ago and has just come back on.
It could solve all our image issues in one hit, it has perfect eye close ups
and is in 4:3 format, the same as the originals and there is a small section that if it can be manipulated, could be used in the small screens.
The original file is tp, i converted it to mpeg for upload but i have no idea how to edit it all.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly the eye footage was stock and not filmed for the movie.

Andy
doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somoone with a flash grabber needs to snag that pic. However. we could just as easily shoot our own with a macro lens on any digital cam.

BTW when I tried the link, it didn't work until I added an "l" on htm, but after that it seemed to run fine on the link. Probably stuck a cookie on my machine:

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_1330366_VK_Test_.htm

The ebay gizmo has a 1.8 inch screen, but as previously noted, you could magnify it. I suggest a fresnel lens, cheap from many sources. But I'll be watching for a larger display to surface...

I have a full tilt opthamologist eye exam today. I've bought some of the docs surplus test hardware in the past, and he's even come into the office when a sparring left hook screwed up one eye temporarily (on a Sunday, and no charge! Wink so I'll look around for any interesting stuff in his office. (BTW never go to optometrists. Always get an opthamologist. The latter is a real doctor. The other guy hustles glasses and contacts.)

Doc
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory serves me well, the prop team had the case and they made the VK to fit...not the other way around. There was a story at one time stating that the hero VK could not fit in the case and that another one (static) was used for shots showing it snugged neatly in the said case.
Could someone confirm?
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the caps of the eye close up off the ad.
It runs about 4 seconds but that should be enough to manipuate
into 10 minutes footage that can then be looped to say 2 hours and
then converted to a downloadable program or put onto DVD.
Im interested in the idea of using a cheap portable DVD player for the main screen but only if another screen can run off the unit as all portables have widescreens
and wouldnt fit into the VK design i guess.

The other part of footage also runs about 4 seconds but is in my opinion, sublime.
If they were making the movie today, this could have been used
as an insert just as it is.The aim here is to crop it into two parts and record toggling through the few seconds of footage for
10 minutes and loop for two hours. There are many free programs available that convert and compress files to view on ipods etc
so could be perfect for the smaller screens. Also, ive noticed that there is an abundance of cheap, old casio style portable tv`s on the net,
these have larger screens than most mp3`s, it may be possible to remove the screens and run them from the mp3.

doc3d
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent caps, Offworld!!!

Doc
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: