FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard's Wallet - Modified
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
First class job

Thank you very much!

offworld66 wrote:
Ageing things is a BR specialty that you seemed to have mastered.

Not having done this before, I think I got lucky. For the wallet, I basically just tried to accelerate the natural weathering process that comes with use. When sitting idle -- watching TV, for example -- I worked the wallet rapidly back and forth through the same motions it would encounter in real use (opening and closing, spreading the billfold pocket open, inserting and withdrawing the cards), so that it got a couple years' worth of "use" in just a couple of weeks. Likewise, in addition to carrying the wallet in my back pocket and sitting on it, I accelerated the natural bending process by arching the closed, packed wallet in my hands after having exposed it to hot water and/or steam.

As for the badge, I experimented with weathering techniques from threads by the many master modelers at the RPF.

offworld66 wrote:
Have you ever tried to age things like the streetsigns?, giving them that acid rain, oily, grimey look, would love to know how to pull that off without damaging the item.

No, I've never tried this, although it's something we'll all be getting into (I hope) when our runs of Vid-Phons and other signs come to fruition.

It happens that the Smith & Warren badge included with this set has a wonderfully resilient, glossy finish. I had no problem at all wiping off the layers of acrylic paint that I used to weather the shield; a bit of water and a soft cloth is all it takes. In fact, with a little careful rubbing, I think a badge weathered with acrylics could probably be restored to its original condition without too much trouble. But if you also weather the badge using sandpaper, as I did mine, well, that's a different story. Wink
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
Quote:
No, I've never tried this, although it's something we'll all be getting into (I hope) when our runs of Vid-Phons and other signs come to fruition.

Exactly what i was thinking Gary, they will be ready soon, unless of course an alternative suddenly pops up Wink
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner44.com wrote:
Excellent work Gary.

Thanks, John!

spinner44.com wrote:
I was holding off mentioning this on the new run, but I will be offering a new weathered option.

Wow, that's exciting news! And I'm also quite excited to hear about the premium extras you have added to the set for your final run. I hope you'll post some shots of your weathered version and the new extras.

(I'm also still hoping you may find a way to offer the extras separately to those of us who purchased wallet sets from your previous runs. Wink )
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
Nice work, Tempo!

Thanks, phase!

phase pistol wrote:
Here's a bit of enhancement to the screen cap...

Hey! Is it just me, or does the wallet look black again?!
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner 44 wrote:
Have you cheked the missing scenes dvd. There's another shot of Deckard in its spinner. The wallet seems to be fully unfolded and the police plaque is nowhere to be seen. Maybe a trick of the light... but.

I'm embarrassed to admit that, although I have had the five-disc set for months, I have yet to check out the missing scenes. Embarassed

However, I have seen the images you posted. Not only is the badge nowhere to be seen, but it looks to me like a different wallet. This one looks like a bi-fold rather than a tri-fold. In the actual deleted scene, do you see Deckard open the wallet up? Are there three sections, or two?

spinner44.com wrote:
That would be because the badge is fantasy.

Yup! Very Happy
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner 44 wrote:
The funny thing is that the badge was present in the wallet made by Phil S. a long time ago. A wallet that was a exact replica of a supossed to be "production piece", but I'm afraid the original piece was not, it was a fan or pro reproduction passed as a true-prop. At least parts of it, like the id card, card key and credit card that I own Sad ... but that a whole different story.

There was quite a to-do about this on the RPF when the WorldCon photos hit the board. The differences between the WorldCon screen-used ID and the ID in Phil's set were obvious.

In hindsight, though, I think the clues were there to see from the outset, long before the WorldCon ID came to light. If you look at the screen-shots carefully, it's apparent that the proportions of the screen-used wallet are different than those of the wallet in Phil's set (and John's set, too, for that matter): the screen-used wallet is taller and narrower, the Smith & Warren wallet that has been used in the replica sets is shorter and "stockier." Even without being able to make out the details of the photo on the screen-used ID, it's clear that the proportions of this, too, are different than those of the ID photo in Phil's set (and, again, in John's set). As has been mentioned, the screen-used wallet also appears to be suede, although that could be an effect of the weathering.

I'm not sure why Phil didn't notice these discrepancies before creating the replica, but guess it's because of the same reason that neither I nor any of Phil's other buyers noticed them at the time: the items were coming from a trusted source and, in the excitement of the moment, we simply didn't look closely enough.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner 44 wrote:
BTW spinner44,

Having made those top accurate replicas of the ID and the telephone card, have you considered to do a film-accurate wallet (sans the shield). It may be a little less atractive visually, but for those of us who are anal about accuracy it would be a gift.

That's a fine idea. Very Happy

It would require sourcing the correct wallet. I don't think we've found it yet.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
temponaut wrote:
Quote:

Exactly what i was thinking Gary, they will be ready soon, unless of course an alternative suddenly pops up Wink

Sooooo excited about this!
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get these wallets, as used in my Retro Blade Runner Project, without the badge cutout. Note that I ordered these without the protective flap for the ID window which does not appear to be present in the screen caps.

These are leather, although in 2019 leather is illegal...well, maybe not for cops.

I get them directly from the case maker. The one I am referring to is the one on top in this photo.

This pic shows the right side without the plastic card holders. This is an earlier version that was ordered with the ID window flap.

spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure since the wallets I use are the same as Gary's, I can order them without the protective flaps for the current run I am doing.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are trifold for sure...

You can tell from this scene in the "Deleted Scene edit" from the 25th ann set made by Charles de Lauzirika, as well as when he talks to the snake man.

If anybody here has yet to see this, do it ASAP. I have watched it and all the extras several times over and there is a lot of new stuff and tons of "Ah ha!" moments in there.

Andy
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner44.com wrote:
I'm sure since the wallets I use are the same as Gary's, I can order them without the protective flaps for the current run I am doing.

John, when you order them you can ask that no makers name be imprinted on it, will save that rubbing and smoothing process Temponaut did to remove the markings on his.
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone does a run of wallets with ID WITHOUT the center badge cutout, please keep me in the loop -- I would likely be up for one of these if they are ever made.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
They are trifold for sure...

Thanks for confirming this, Andy.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eltee wrote:
I can get these wallets, as used in my Retro Blade Runner Project, without the badge cutout.

That's great, eltee! Would there then be a solid panel of leather in the center (where there is an oval cutout in the photo)?

In the screenshot from the cut scenes DVD, it looks as if if the wallet has some sort of texture in that center panel. Does it appear that way to anyone else? Is it some sort of pocket or webbing, or is it just the grain of the leather?

eltee wrote:
Note that I ordered these without the protective flap for the ID window which does not appear to be present in the screen caps.
spinner44.com wrote:
I can order them without the protective flaps for the current run I am doing.

That's a great idea. The protective flap can be removed carefully with a sharp hobby knife, but better still would be to get the wallet without the flap in the first place.

eltee wrote:
John, when you order them you can ask that no makers name be imprinted on it, will save that rubbing and smoothing process Temponaut did to remove the markings on his.

Better and better! Removing the maker's name was a lot more trouble than removing the protective flap, and even after working the area with boiling water and coating it with the spray-on dye, there's still the faintest remnant of the debossing in the leather. If the wallets can be purchased without the name stamped in, I think that would be a great step to take.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just removed the felt piece with an exacto knife pretty easily.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can that dye be purchased? I had no luck on google. Is it available stateside or does it need to be ordered from Japan?
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner 44 wrote:

I noticed whilst watching this scene again that there is something underneath the middle section of the wallet. you can see the sides of it sticking out in spinner's capture. at first I thought it was a bit of paper or photo or something, but it appears to really bulge out that middle section.

got me thinking it could be one of the worldcon police badges concealed under the middle pocket. it's size would certainly suggest why it's sticking out like that.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to bend with the wallet so I do doubt it, but if it is, it means the flap to protect the badge is still there. I did watch the scene a few times, because I was thinking the same thing as you on it. I can't say %100, but it looks like paper in a middle pocket, common in many wallets.

The scene is from the Deleted Scene Cut of the film on disc 4 (extras disc), and you have to see it in motion to get a better idea of the wallet's make up. Stills do not give an accurate idea of what is going on. For that matter neither does the clip.

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the clip is lightning quick! and the quality is too low to really see anything.

the bendyness could also be an optical illusion (my favourite word! Razz) , in the sense that areas of the surrounding leather can overlap it.

then again could be something completely different like the scrunched up tin foil looking stuff he gets out to call rachel Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: