FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Magazines
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Magazines Reply with quote

As promised, here are my replica magazine covers. One reason it has taken me so long to offer them (apart from the ever present risk of them appearing in a poorer form on ebay!) is that there are so many options and considerations with these. I think I came up with the answer though. I shall customise your order to your specifications. How does that sound?

Here we go;
there are six magazines.

Two of them are censored with the Not Safe For Work letters. These letters are NOT ON THE MAGAZINE covers!!! So, for a completist, here's the problem; how do you display "Krotch" magazine in your home without attracting criticism? Would "Horn" magazine really look so good framed in your den? (well obviously it would, but would you get away with having it there?)

So I realised that many people wouldn't want a full sized set of magazine covers. Plus, they'd fill a wall.

My solution has been to print them on semi-gloss card stock at roughly 6" x 4". It's a nice, handy postcard size and display frames are readily available for postcards.

You choose which you want. They are £2 each or £10 for a complete set (yes, that's one FREE).

But here are your other options. I can output these as actual covers if you have a magazine you want to wrap tham around. Obviously we know that Moni and Droid should be wrapped around copies of Omni magazine (which are readily available from ebay). I assume that Krotch and Horn should go around another Guccioni publication. It's interesting to note that Horn, Krotch and Zord are all the same size and Kill, Moni and Droid are a different size. It doesn't matter what size you want though (within reason). I shall print the cover out to wrap around the dimensions you specify. £18 per cover. You provide the long-arm stapler.

Finally, who wouldn't want a framed copy of Droid on their wall? You'll see that there's a lot of detail in the Droid artwork that has never been reproduced before. I can print just the front cover suitable for framing. Size is A4 (21cm x 29cm). This makes it nice and easy to buy a frame in Europe. If there's a better size in the US, please say. £15 per print.

The artwork has been closely researched. I have taken note of the fact that these were only ever intended to be background items, and so the originals were a little rough around the edges. This is not a criticism of Tom Southwell. I'm just pointing it out. Frankly, like everything else in the film, the attention to detail is astonishing. I have retained the accuracy but cleaned up the type and the titles a little. For instance, the original artwork for Krotch had hand drawn lettering.The artist had copied Windsor Elongated Bold, so I used the actual type (we aren't limited to what Letraset have available). I then helf-toned the final artwork so that it looks like an actual printed magazine with the pattern of tiny dots creating the colour image. In the 80's this would have been printed at 300dpi although now it would be finer. Here's what it looks like up close.

Finally, you have other options for the large prints (not the postcard size). Do you want the accurate copy as featured on the original, or do you want the spelling corrected? On Kill magazine is the word "multipul" instead of "multiple", on Horn is the word "orgasam" instead of "orgasm". Screen accurate or idealised? Remember I have already cleaned up the banner a little.

Anybody interested? Don't forget, I can send whatever you want with your apartment key if you got in on that run and save £2 off the postage. I don't know what the postage will be on these yet. I shall charge it at cost plus the cost of the card tube to protect the large prints. If the final cost is too high,nobody is under any obligation.

These will be printed on high quality semi-gloss heavy stock at 2880dpi using archival inks (guaranteed colour fast for 80 years if kept out of direct sunlight).

BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great work on these! I'd be interested in a set of the smaller versions, preferebly with the original spelling mistakes Wink

two questions: will they be printed at 720dpi or 1440 dpi? and can you leave in an extra white border (outside the 6" x 4" size) so that they can be stuck behind a frame?

also are you planning to do the Dorgon and Evolution covers at some time?
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The artwork's at 600dpi and they will be printed at 2880dpi.

How much of a border are you after?
Bill Hunt
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love a set of the actual magazine size covers. Very cool!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
The artwork's at 600dpi and they will be printed at 2880dpi.

How much of a border are you after?

something like 5mm give or take should be fine.
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no problem with a 5mm border on top of the standard size. Just remind me when the time comes.

I have started on the other two magazines, but they aren't a priority. I intend to try and find the clip art used on the Dorgon cover, but I haven't stumbled on it yet.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding work, Kevin.

In for a full set of six 1:1 covers.
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in too for a full set of full size covers! Complete with original spelling errors and all!

PS: Praying you get more subscribers to the atp cards.
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just posted a notice about the cards in the Junkyard over at the RPF. I think I shall order another print run on Monday anyway. I'm sure they will sell in the next few months.

Spinner44; do you want display covers or wrap around covers?
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note.
I have orders for four sets of full sized covers via pm and email. Everyone wants the screen accurate covers so I shall not be offering corrected artwork any more (saves me a job Very Happy )

The main reason for posting is that Temponaut sent me some fabulous reference of the Zord cover, so I have been able to correct a couple of inaccuracies and make it super-accurate. Thanks Gary!
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome, Kevin! Always happy to assist you.

Your covers look terrific!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how are you getting on with these kevin? when do you think you'll have the new covers ready?

I just realized 6" x 4" is standard photo sized right? in that case I wont need the border as I can just drop them into the photo frame cutouts Wink
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're done Beast. Yours are already printed and I just cut them to size (i.e. without the border). You can get clip frames this size.

I display mine as postcard size. They have been propped around the edge of my BR prop display, but I am planning to frame them all together window mounted in one large frame.

I shall need your shipping information Beast. Please email me your real name and address. I shall send you a PayPal invoice when I know what shipping will be.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! pm sent Smile
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update.

I have printed out the postcard sets for those who wanted them. I won't be able to get out of the office today (I don't think) but tomorrow I should be able to confirm posting prices and let you know the final bill.

I am waiting for the large format satin paper to arrive for those waiting on wrap-around print outs. I decided that it would be a real shame to just provide a white back cover. That would be disappointing if you show your collection off to friends (not a problem if you have them shut in a display, of course). I hope to have that finished by the time the paper arrives.

There's only one person who's asked for covers only. They are printed (and look fab) except that I printed the Moni cover out at the wrong resolution so I need to print it again when the new paper arrives.

All you full size guys will be receiving a little something extra as a surprise bonus.
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any chance at a postcard size set?...your framing idea rocks....
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting on paper to be delivered to print out the full size covers.

Meanwhile, for the wrap-around guys;
I felt that I couldn't leave you with a blank back cover, so I have put this together.

You won't be able to read the small print until your covers arrive. Wink
Bill Hunt
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Love the subtle franchise crossover references...
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you spotted that! I figured that there was some wriggle room (Ridle room?) between the two.

You'll be glad to hear that I now have the large paper to print these out and will start tomorrow.
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted out three sets of postcards today.

Bassnoir, I'm waiting on your details.

I have started printing the wrap-around covers. I am making the Moni & Droid to the size of a 1980's Omni magazine.
I have one set of display covers printed except for Krotch magazine. I am waiting for more ink to arrive (these are thirsty items!).

Please confirm when your covers arrive.

Thanks again to everyone who ordered. You will find a little bonus item in each package.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: