FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
USCSS Nostromo - Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: I think I'd have to say I've changed my mind on the airlock. Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:

I really wish PropSummit.com was using OriginalTrilogy.com's forum HTML coding, as over there you can resize pictures so you don't max out the threads with too many big images.

Regardless, after re-thinking just where in the hell the airlock would be located to account for the set design and the sheer lack of space for it by the front landing leg, I would have to say that it is on the main body just forward of the Narcissus, with the airlock and ash's blister being somewhere on the "wrap-around" metal area on the underbelly, with the airlock facing the Port landing leg.

It would still mean that the astronauts would be tiny in the landing leg shot, and the perspective would be quite a bit different, but that is the only place I can think of that would make sense. I will try to draw a mock-up blueprint and post some images tomorrow.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's finaly official, so please follow this link for more NOSTROMO data :

http://www.propstore.com/nostromo.htm

Enjoy !

Fred
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLESS MY BARNACLES!!!!
LOOK AT THAT!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!
furystorm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Skin Job! That is an awesome project going on. Do you think the Nostromo will ever be on display anywhere, or that there would ever be a possibility of a fan (me) being able to see it in person?
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is really cool... Space Jockey, you are doing a superb job on the Blueprints! It is amazing people would leave this beautiful model out in the rain like that! what a mess Mad Mad Mad
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey!! And I thought I'd seen everything in terms of pictures Shocked
Thanks for sharing Fred, and I'll look for update from time to time.
Now if JT looks at those (and the little film), he's gonna blew a gasket
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just great to see all this enthusiasm around the Nostromo lately. I'm fed up with walking into a store and all I see is Star Wars or Star Trek... hopefully with all this images and info now, they'll be a really cool book released or something all about it.

Oh and thanks for the comment JTP much appreciated.
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: BTW... Reply with quote

Any new blueprint updates, SJ? <Smile

I also have to go back on my previous comment on where the airlock could be: I think it could be in one of three places (or possibly ALL 3 places):

(1) the area directly underneath the bridge and above the main antennae
(2) the first step behind the front booster
(3) the port-side underbelly wrap just forward of the Narcissus.

Again, haven't had time to whip up any drawings, but I will try to get something out in the next couple of days.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: BTW... Reply with quote

Monroville wrote:
Any new blueprint updates, SJ? <Smile

(1) the area directly underneath the bridge and above the main antennae
(2) the first step behind the front booster
(3) the port-side underbelly wrap just forward of the Narcissus.

No new updates yet; I should have some next week sometime. I’m working on the front view at the moment.
It’s cool to discuss the airlocks; I reckon there definitely be more than one (even if it’s just for general egress and escape (can’t use the Narcissus if the Nostromo isn’t in space and is stationary!); probably one at the front at the end of that strange ‘docking tube’ that projects out from the front of the ship. Or, this tube could be a kind of re-fueling point maybe, similar to what you find on long range bomber planes…not necessarily used to replenish the ships fuel supply, but air supply, water, whatever. What do you think?

(1) Maybe one here; I think I know where you mean. Between the two modules that project out and have the docking tube / whateveritis and the satellite dish, literally underneath the bridge.

(2) Yep, that one’s located. I don’t think it matches the models, but seems to match the full size set as best I can get it. This is the one based on the Stuart Rose design.

(3) Yes, there probably is some kind of opening there. This is the area that has a horizontal blue light seen on the hull in a lot of the screenshots involving the docked Narcissus. This seems too close to the Narcissus to be the one where Kane is shot out into space from though, plus the side it’s on indicates it’s on the nacelle rather than the main body… but it indicates there’s at least one airlock further forward along the main body itself.
Do post your sketches.
This is my opinion, (feel free to disagree!!)…the nacelles serve two purposes (no hang on, three)… one: it has a ‘rocket booster’ (though probably isn’t a rocket as we know it) on the back. So there must be fuel and mixing chambers etc of some kind, maybe an engine similar to Ron Cobb’s spec of the Nostromo. Able to propel it through space, but probably not to the speed at which to get from Thedus to Sol. Who knows. Two and Three: The VTOL Vertical Take Off and Landing system it uses to land on the planet. So Two: being the Air Intake (maybe located at the top-front of each nacelle) and Three being the Air Exhaust through the bottom jets to stabilize and keep it in the air (this is something I love about the design, four exhausts at the bottom of the ship, all pointing out…makes perfect sense. Be screwed if one shuts down though!!!)
In other words, a heck of a lot of stuff and associated machinery. This is why I’m trying to avoid having locks and corridors through each nacelle if possible.
It’s tricky as if I locate airlocks now, I’m committed to it on interior blueprints, so one has to think ahead as best they can. I also have to think about the large Cargo Rooms and how machinery gets in and out… there’s at least two (Ripley scopes one out with the motion tracker while Brett and Parker fix the lights on Level C; and another where Brett walks through to get to the Undercarriage Chamber).
- Graham.
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I lied, here's one. Just trying to get proportions right at the moment.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow JT, those blueprints are fantastic...not to mention your dedication to the project Cool
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here... Bravo again !!!

Fred
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Wow JT, those blueprints are fantastic...not to mention your dedication to the project Cool

Cheers guys (even though I'm not JT lol )
Yeah, the front view I still have all the antenna to put on and finish up around the satellite dish then adjust lineweights. Then this part should be pretty much done.
Monroville
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:
joberg wrote:

Cheers guys (even though I'm not JT lol )
Yeah, the front view I still have all the antenna to put on and finish up around the satellite dish then adjust lineweights. Then this part should be pretty much done.

You may need to slightly alter the front view of the front "living pod", notably on the bottom center; in the front view shot of the Nostromo landing, you can see a group of what looks like windows on the bottom similar to the group of windows on the rear of the upper bubble of the Enterprise saucer section.

That is where I was speculating on a front airlock; that the (or "a") loading platform could be lowered from here and that the main antennae could be slided over from left to right (to make way for the loading platform) as well as go up and down.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone here identify the little "cog-wheel" things that make up the array of thruster nozzles on the main engines?

I am adding an addition to the model kit which will comprise of three inserts that go into the existing engines to make them more accurate.

could these little geared things be little tank parts or even some kind of beads? anyone who can help in this matter will be greatly appreciated!
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTP; not sure on the parts used for the model. But, if we are unable to find out, there is the option of modeling parts in 3d on computer, then taking the computer file to a reprographics company that has a 3d plotter. These plotters are really cool, as they turn the 3d computer model into a resin part. Might be worth thinking about. They use them in architects offices to make building models, no doubt other industries use them too.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow, that sounds like a lot of work. actually they are just little gear looking things with the exhaust hole in the center... I think I will just model them myself and be done with it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I need to get this kit done.. I dont think it will be that difficult..
LastBattlestar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Jockey wrote:

First post here from a major ALIEN/S fan! Razz

I just wanted to send kudos to Space Jockey for his excellent Nostromo blueprints. As an ex draftsman, I can certainly appreciate the difficulty and work involved in producing something like this. Great job, man!

I'm really enjoying all the ALIEN discussion here. Every time I watch the original, I want to see more expansion on the hardware, characters and story in that universe. Ridley: he's our only hope!

Mike, Oz

Studio Scale Builds: Galactica, B Wing, Moldy Crow, Colonial Movers:

www.resinilluminati.com
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mike! You're certainly a great addition to our little group.
I had the pleasure of seeing some of your builds on resinilluminati: very good work; as an amateur model-maker (still learning after all those years ) it's nice to see you here
LastBattlestar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you indeedy! I'm still learning too- I just tend to jump in at the deep end. Shocked

I've always been fascinated by the Nostromo and refinery, just incredible models, certainly in size to say the least. I won't say I'll be building a studio scale Nostromo any time soon, but it's nice to dream!

BTW, what happened to the refinery model?

Mike, Oz

Studio Scale Builds: Galactica, B Wing, Moldy Crow, Colonial Movers:

www.resinilluminati.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 7 of 39

Jump to: