FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
H.R. Giger- The Biomechanoid foundation of Alien..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Andrew...is this the "famous" Andrew Ainsworth? The guy that did everything and every concept/sculptures from StarWars to Alien?
Beware I say, beware Evil or Very Mad
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
That Andrew...is this the "famous" Andrew Ainsworth? The guy that did everything and every concept/sculptures from StarWars to Alien?
Beware I say, beware Evil or Very Mad

What do you mean, "Beware" ???

Shocked

Fred
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of threads about the lies this guy has spun at the RPF. Even claiming credit for sculpting the stormtroopers when all the people who worked on the film have stated it was Liz Moore. He was said to only have been a Vacuum former that cast from the others work, and he is now selling his stuff as "from the original molds" even though it has been proven to be made from Fan made originals, not screen used. He is getting away with it because the UK copyright laws are different.

Quote from Giger about him...
Quote:
12 August 1978-
Andrew has still not come up with any satisfactory result. The moulds have been badly damaged by his experiments and by the great heat, and have to be patched up by the plasterers in meticulous detail, or even made all over again. The only conclusion that Andrew has reached is that what we want can only be done with metal moulds.

Once again i'm deeply disappointed. They always told me we should have the best experts in the world to work with us in such a big production, and instead of that we've got a lot of do-it-yourself amateurs without the necessary experience.

Some info here from Brian Muir himself...
http://www.therpf.com/f45/original-anh-stormtrooper-helmet-armor-just-facts-102219/

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my !!!

Shocked

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the RPF has tons of info about Ainsworth, the LFL law-suit and its results and also pages upon pages of valuable facts from Brian Muir (and others) on how Ainsworth claimed to have done everything on every film known to mankind (next claim by him should be: I'm God and created the world Laughing )!!!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A link to a japanese commercial where Giger recycled one of his DUNE / pre-AL I E N designs :

http://unflinchingeye.blogspot.com/2010/04/biomechanoid.html?zx=fcd30bf784d82a3c
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Fred...glad to see those: it's been a long time.
prodigalson
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
There are a ton of threads about the lies this guy has spun at the RPF. Even claiming credit for sculpting the stormtroopers when all the people who worked on the film have stated it was Liz Moore. He was said to only have been a Vacuum former that cast from the others work, and he is now selling his stuff as "from the original molds" even though it has been proven to be made from Fan made originals, not screen used. He is getting away with it because the UK copyright laws are different.

Quote from Giger about him...
Quote:
12 August 1978-
Andrew has still not come up with any satisfactory result. The moulds have been badly damaged by his experiments and by the great heat, and have to be patched up by the plasterers in meticulous detail, or even made all over again. The only conclusion that Andrew has reached is that what we want can only be done with metal moulds.

Once again i'm deeply disappointed. They always told me we should have the best experts in the world to work with us in such a big production, and instead of that we've got a lot of do-it-yourself amateurs without the necessary experience.

Some info here from Brian Muir himself...
http://www.therpf.com/f45/original-anh-stormtrooper-helmet-armor-just-facts-102219/

Andy

Can anyone explain to me, in sincere terms, where all this hatred for AA stems from.
I've read a great deal about this bloke and taken on board all points of view from both camps, but I simply can not perceive the source of this intense dislike and disrespect.
I'm 44 years old and I have trouble remembering what I did last week, never mind the precise details of activities that occurred 35 years ago.
For a man who has done so much wrong in the opinion of so many, he presented the UK Supreme Court with such an impressive set of formal facts and figures, and records dating back to the time in question, that it's impossible not to to take at least the minimum of his claims into serious consideration.

Cheers,
Prodigal.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Uk supreme court basicaly said he had probably not done the original design and HAD broken US copyright laws, but not the ones in the UK, because they considered it to be an industrial design rather than a piece of artwork. Even they didn't believe all his claims, but it came down to interpretation about the laws, and in the end they sided with a UK citizen over a US billion dollar company.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read extensively about the whole affair and I can assure you that the hatred is well deserved.
Fact: Brian Muir sculpted Darth Vader.
Liz Moore sculpted C3PO and the Stormtrooper helmet.
If you look at the "work" that AA did on his Stormtrooper WIP it's simply pathetic Confused
LFL is not finished with the AA Saga and is bound to have a definite answer with the ruling of the Supreme Court.
The RPF is the place to read all this and more...
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in seeing / learning more of the time Giger spent on the making of A L I E N ?

Go there, you won't regret it (you'll regret some bucks but it's well worth the price imo) :

http://www.editionpatrickfrey.com/en/books/alien-diaries-alien-tagebucher

Cheers,
Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Fred and for the link...I believe you have the book already and it seems very interesting to hear Giger's point of view on the whole experience.

I think it's a recuring thing with various artists working for the studios at one time or another (be it writers, painters, designers) is that the film industrty seems like another planet altogether and that the experience was not worth the blood, sweat and tears since, in the end, their work has been "bastardized" (their word) to such an extend that the artist doesn't recognize his/her work.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep JB, very interesting read... and you're right he's ranting most of the time about money, about sculptors, even about the weather !

However it's profoundly interesting, sometimes funny, even touching to see through the eyes of someone who was almost never involved in team work and discover how he went through this particularly exhausting experience...

A L I E N wasn't an easy trip for Herr Giger, you can see this by going through that book... oh boy !
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have to get that. Check this out. I remember pics where the alien's throat looked like it was falling out . Always wondered what was up with that. Now I know. I never realized they wore a piece that wrapped around their chin like that!

This is an excellent blog . http://alienseries.wordpress.com/category/alien/
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pic Jerry, thanks for sharing !

(Oh yes, the blog you're referring to is awesome... Tons of great infos and analysis there, a must read indeed !!!)

Cool

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Jerry...and thanks for the link
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the A L I E N diary book. OMG, this thing is a brick! It is literally his diary complete with notes, sketches, polaroids, etc... I'll have to take some pics later.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Jerry, this thing weights something like one kilogram... and it's filled with the complete diaries written by Giger at the time ALIEN was in production... Wait to read it, after a while you're going to love his rantings ! (he's always complaining about something or someone, oh my !)

Laughing

Fred

PS : Cherry on the cake, Dennis Lowe is currently working on a documentary devoted to Mia Bonzanigo, Giger's girlfriend at the time of ALIEN...
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. He is one cool dude!
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to getting this and was NOT disappointed!

https://flic.kr/p/o9kcAo
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: