FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Mu-TH-UR Computer 6000
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephen210
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Mu-TH-UR Computer 6000 Reply with quote

Okay,

Let's clean up the other thread since I got it way off topic. LOL

Let us put all our info on this thread going forward.

Can one of the mods move the post about the MU-TH-UR? or should we just start over with the pictures here?

Anyway...

The box is made from wood that can be seen in one of the pictures where the hole is cut in the inside of the box for the rod to move.

Post away!!

Steve

Last edited by stephen210 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the thing that was bothering me is the "metallic paint" finish of the box...talking to my Father over the phone, he assured me that you'll have to flood the surface with your spray-paint and while the paint is still wet you aim compressed air toward the surface to achieve the same look, or a hair-dryer (on very hot); so it's definitely possible to get the same effect...I'll try over the week-end on a piece of wood to see if I can replicate it
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can split the topics into an all new thread, but I can not add them here. Of course since this one is new, once I split it you can add any new info to it there from here a lot easier if that is okay with everybody.

Also I was thinking about splitting it into a Bob Burns basement thread though and then we could keep this one to focus just on the key, but we would need to re post the images and such here.

Andy
Space Jockey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if was me I'd give Hammerite 'Hammered Metal Finish' paint a try. Get some pretty neat effects with that stuff and I reckon it'll achieve the finish you want. It's in a pot and spraycan.

Last edited by Space Jockey on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ukwookie
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Hammerite paint. Almost certainly what was used on the original prop by the looks of things. Very Happy
Mike Rush
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody! My first post here, although I do crop up on a couple of other boards. Steve got me reading here because of the Nostromo jackets, and I registered because of this prop!

Steve's photos were great, particularly the inclusion of the tape measure. I have started drawing up plans while simultaneously throwing it together in Sketchup. Here's what I have after a couple of hours:

It's not finished (obviously) but I'm on the way.

I even found out exactly what the hole-y thing is on the front. Give me a chance to see if I can find a source, and if I can't then I'll throw it open to all.

Re the paint - definitely Hammerite, no question. It has that, well, 'hammered finish' straight out of the can. I think the same stuff was used on the Aliens stasis tubes, if you're familiar with those.

"We're not heroes - we're from Finchley"
stephen210
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Mike!!

Welcome.. Welcome...

Thanks for doing this and the NOSTROMO jacke letters.

Steve
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELCOME, MIKE !!!

And before I forget to say it : Great start on this MU-TH-UR key box !!! (sketchup rules !)

Fred
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mike.
Great drawing, really well done
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great artwork! This would make a very unusual project.
Never heard of 'Hammerite' paint, but in the US, Rustoleum makes a hammered-finish paint also. I've used it before.
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you here Mike.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike welcome aboard...great drawing by the way. We have Space Jockey and drawings of the Nostromo, and now you with drawings of The
Box: brilliant! Very Happy
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Propsummit Mike!

-Yup looks like hammer-rite paint to me.. and the hinge looks like something we will need to track down. Are those rivet tails pointing outward from the box inside the screw pattern? Possibly the hinge is from a baggage compartment door or some other aircraft structure. it seems those are rivet tails and we are seeing the bucked part pointing out. the quality is excellent actually, But the rivet tails on the side angle look not so good, and slighty out of round. does any one know if any scrapped aviation parts were used, such as spars, ribs or extruded parts on the sets? Seems like they had a massive amount of junk to play with the more we get close-ups of the technology to inspect here.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ukwookie...with all that excitment about the box, I noticed later that you'd registered only yesterday Embarassed Always nice to have new members here, and since you're from the U.K. you're familiar with some of the greeblies used by those who worked on the movie and can, sometimes, only be found in England
Mike Rush
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments everyone. Some more progress:

There are five obvious Philips screws on the front and three on the side. But I'm not sure what the others are, on the hinge for example. They look flat, like rivets or even just nails?

But then you look on the side of the hinge, and while the top ones look flat again, the bottom one is chipped and almost looks like another Philips screw, painted over! So did they 'fill' the crosses in the screwheads? If so, why not do them all? Confusing. Confused

Also, did everyone notice where they appear to have chopped out the centre section of the hinge and incorporated a torsion spring, so that the door opens by itself? Smile

Anyway, I did some detective work about that mystery part and here's what I found out:

It's a high density electrical connector, for computers or rack systems. I found a PDF from the manufacturer, Winchester Electronics. It appears to be a part number: MRA(C) 75S-G (MRA series, 75-way, socket, G-type). The (C) means that the contacts come separately, presumably to save cost, and you insert them yourself as required.
There is even a 'Military cross-reference' which is: MS 18188-1!

What I haven't found yet is a) a common use for them, or b) a stockist! Maybe someone can get in touch with Winchester? They are (or were) in Wallingford, Connecticut.

Of course the part might be long-disused, but this PDF is dated 1999, so that's encouraging.

Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, loving your work.
I must admit, i never noticed that spring before.
Your drawings are stunning, really love them.
The attention to detail is amazing.
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic work here! better not let the other people see to much of this or they will be sending you other huge projects!
stephen210
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Job Mike as always!!
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be missing something here, but does anyone have detailed pictures of what was inside the cabinet?
Mike Rush
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the interior, or the key itself? There are three (I think) photos of the key floating around this board somewhere - maybe someone can repost them here.

Right, I hate to say it but I think I'm about done with this!

Can everyone please look at the piece I've repeated on the right, and have a think about what it might be? It looks jolly familiar but I can't pin it down. Obviously some kind of extrusion, a piece of edging..? I suspect the holes were already in it.

My next step will be to start cutting parts out of foamex and putting a mockup together. Smile The main tricky parts are going to be finding the exact hinge, and that connector. I can make my own, but I fear that without CNC help, drilling that many holes that accurately will turn into a right mess!

Does anyone have a UK source for these buttons? I usually use RS but their colour choice is a bit limited.

I'm going to hold off on the interior until I have studied the photos some more, as well as correlating them with the key itself to make sure everything fits. However I would like to try and make this thing functional, with a light for the thumbpad, illuminating buttons and an opening door (solenoid?). Don't hold your breath though.

Dallas presses four buttons, presumably in a certain predetermined sequence. Even though I don't have the knowhow to make a genuine combination lock, I can just connect the final button to the door, so you're free to press whatever sequence you like and it will always work! Laughing

[edit: I just realised that if I connect the four buttons in series, then the door will only open when all four are pressed. However the sequence will no longer matter.] Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: