FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Looking for a SidKit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megagreg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Looking for a SidKit Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a SidKit, specifically the last incarnation of his Worldcon, all metal version. One just came up on ebay, but I was outbid Sad

So, I thought I would check here.

BTW - this is my first post Smile
I've been lurking for a few weeks now—gathering information on the various Blade Runner blasters out there. I'm a complete noob, but what I know is what I want:
    - Good to great screen accuracy
    - All metal (except for the grips of course)
    - As much as possible has the fit and finish of a real gun (no wobbly, loose parts. Tight action)
    - Working mechanisms: trigger(s), hammer, cylinder, and bolt
    - Working LEDs
From what I've learned on this forum, the SidKit fits this bill pretty well, but any other advice is always welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks much
MG
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mega greg. By the look of your first post you know what you want...good luck finding it
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note on the Sidkit, Because it is a kit it's fit, finish, and function will depend on your building skills. I also don't know too many people who were able to get all the functions to work just right.

Take a look at some of the Builds here (see blaster builders blog here) to see some of the extensive work done on them. Sidkit 's main advantage was its price. Its grips also were very nicely done and beautifully clear. The gun is also slightly oversized and a bit heavy.

Part for part the Coyle Worldcon may be a better gun, but I am still saving my money for the same accurate and affordable gun you are looking for, but that doesn't seem to have been made yet.

Andy
megagreg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Just a note on the Sidkit, Because it is a kit it's fit, finish, and function will depend on your building skills. I also don't know too many people who were able to get all the functions to work just right.

Take a look at some of the Builds here (see blaster builders blog here) to see some of the extensive work done on them. Sidkit 's main advantage was its price. Its grips also were very nicely done and beautifully clear. The gun is also slightly oversized and a bit heavy.

Part for part the Coyle Worldcon may be a better gun, but I am still saving my money for the same accurate and affordable gun you are looking for, but that doesn't seem to have been made yet.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the advice. BTW, I've been following your posts on this forum and they've been very helpful -- thanks for the input.

MG
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Megagreg. I need to finish the reviews section for the blasters here. I seem to keep getting distracted Smile

Andy
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2006 Sidkit that sat on my shelf for a year before I sold it.

You say that you are "a complete noob", but I don't know if that is true with your model-making skills.

When I bought the kit, I was (and still am) a model-making noob.

If you have the skill to build it up, then great.

If not, then I'd recommend finding someone in advance who won't take forever or charge you an arm and a leg to build it up. You might check the RPF if you are a member there.

Factor in the cost of procuring the kit, the cost to build it up, and the hassle involved in shipping and negotiations. If it still outweighs buying a fully built (and ready to use) Coyle Worldcon for $875 (that includes shipping), then knock yourself out.
megagreg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldzey wrote:
I had a 2006 Sidkit that sat on my shelf for a year before I sold it.

You say that you are "a complete noob", but I don't know if that is true with your model-making skills.

When I bought the kit, I was (and still am) a model-making noob.

If you have the skill to build it up, then great.

If not, then I'd recommend finding someone in advance who won't take forever or charge you an arm and a leg to build it up. You might check the RPF if you are a member there.

Factor in the cost of procuring the kit, the cost to build it up, and the hassle involved in shipping and negotiations. If it still outweighs buying a fully built (and ready to use) Coyle Worldcon for $875 (that includes shipping), then knock yourself out.

Thanks oldzey,

Good advice.

I'm pretty confident in my modeling skills (famous last words Smile ). But, I would think by 2009 (with 2010 coming around the corner), that most SidKits would be assembled by now?

all the best
Greg
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you'd be surprised how many people "pack rat" kits and never build them (raises hand - I'm guilty as charged). Laughing

I've seen many Sidkits (and not just the Worldcon blaster) on the RPF since the Sidkit website shut down.

Correction to my last post - looks like the Coyle Worldcon is now around $1,500.

BTW, has anyone tried going to www.sidkit.com lately? Shocked
megagreg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldzey wrote:
Well, you'd be surprised how many people "pack rat" kits and never build them

Yeah, I just missed hoolz's sale (posted a SidKit sale today and was gone in a flash -- I was second in line). It's probably for the best as he was in the UK and there might be customs issues. I'm not really aware of the risks.

I'd would totally go for a Coyle, but I can't stomach the price (and neither could my wife if you know what I mean) Smile

all the best
MG
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....I was able to get one of Sid's last All Metal Worldcon Blasters.....Alex shipped it from Italy in two boxes....the grip assembly and electronics (in a sealed package) were in one box and the rest of the blaster (reciever barrel etc...assembled) in the second box...this eliminated the "customs" hastle that shipping what looks like a real gun can cause....I have neither the inclination or ABILITY to disassemble paint blue detail and reassemble....I did post a few times looking for a third party who could give this last of it's kind Blaster the attention it so richly deserves....my intention was to detail it as an "as issued" blaster given I have "weathered Sidkit already...
...my collection includes the aforementioned All Metal Worldcon version Sidkit and two All Metal Coyles....a late Worldon weathered Coyle and a brand new (as of a few months ago) "as issued" Blaster that Rich was kind enough to sell me....prior to the price hike I have just read about......I also have two Hartfords....the Standard Blaster and the Stubbie...as well as a Rick Ross PKD...an Offworld and finally a resin (one piece) casting of the stunt version of the Blaster....anyway...let me know what the traffic will bear in terms of cost....I paid handsomely for this Sidkit (earlier this year) and am not looking to make a killing but also not looking to take a loss either....
David
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a SidKit Reply with quote

oldzey wrote:

Not until you asked that question. "Satan is my Homeboy"? Shocked

megagreg wrote:
what I know is what I want:

Welcome aboard, megagreg!

Not trying to dissuade you from what you want... just to remind you that the original Steyr magazine and housing were made of plastic. Siderio's WorldCon kit at first featured a metal magazine and housing, but he subsequently developed a black plastic magazine and started to ship this together with the metal magazine, giving the end-user a choice. To the best of my knowledge, though, Siderio never shipped the housing in plastic.
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...the kit sent me was all "metal" and did NOT include any "plastic" parts other than the electronics which came in a sealed plastic pack....and of course the amber grips...
megagreg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bassnoir - PM sent, or more precisely will be sent as soon as I feed my kids lunch Smile

I'd love to see a photo of your collection -- it sounds amazing.

So of all your blasters versions, which is your favorite?

all the best
mg
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...embarassed to say I don't have a camera....other than the built in one on my Mac....my son has one and on his next visit I will take advantage and have him take shots of my collection....finally....
...my favorite Bladerunner Blaster is my "as new" Coyle...I simply love the look and feel of it...Rich does amazing work and I am thrilled to have it...
...my most recent Blaster however is a "Matsuo BSG Colonial Blaster" (from the first season) that is Matt's latest incarnation and it came "slightly weathered" and is amazing....his work is legendary and was well worth the wait....privious to this I was able to acquire both a solid casting of the Blaster from England and also the "Offworld" version....Matt's version is absolutely the benchmark....what that guy can do with an airsoft product is amazing...I am also quite fond of my "Robocop AutoNine" and "Togusa's Mateba MM2007" with real wood one piece grip and leather holster....both airsoft based products....both from Hong Kong...all of these blasters surround the prop that started it all for me which is the Hellboy "Samaritan" revolver...version 2 with the shells that light up on a display stand that is the benchmark for display stands....
megagreg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bassnoir,

PM sent (lunch is over). But I got the same error message on submit that everyone is getting. Let me know if you did not get my PM

thanks
mg
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I forgot to mention my Matsuo "Equilibrium" Cleric pistol which is based on a Beretta 92 (airsoft)...I just happen to have a pair of Italian made (versus those currently made in America) Beretta 92FS's one black and the other Stainless Steel....Matt was good enough to fabricate me two sets of "Cleric" grip sets...a grey set for the stainless and black for the black Beretta...the mans work is inspired...
David
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there is now a 2006 Sidkit up on that one auction site.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for a SidKit Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:
oldzey wrote:

Not until you asked that question. "Satan is my Homeboy"? Shocked

megagreg wrote:
what I know is what I want:

Welcome aboard, megagreg!

Not trying to dissuade you from what you want... just to remind you that the original Steyr magazine and housing were made of plastic. Siderio's WorldCon kit at first featured a metal magazine and housing, but he subsequently developed a black plastic magazine and started to ship this together with the metal magazine, giving the end-user a choice. To the best of my knowledge, though, Siderio never shipped the housing in plastic.

Although the correct configuration is to have plastic parts (the side panels and mag housing), personally, I prefer the all-steel because, besides the fact that is can be painted to look like the plastic, it gives weight to the overall piece, which for me, is very desirable.

For those who missed out on the plastic options Sid offered towards the end, you can always contact Michele (cosefx@virgilio.it) and order the parts you need. He did tell me that he would be happy to provide parts to those who needed them and he did assure me that the WorldCon parts are interchangeable.

I have not taken him up on this offer and don't know if indeed, the steel parts are as compatible as he says, but for those wanting this option, perhaps this (expensive option) is an avenue worth exploring???
megagreg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Score!

All Metal, Worldcon SidKit achieved! Thanks Bassnoir.

And thanks to all who gave advice and helped out (shout out to eltee).

So, right now I'm super busy with work, but when things settle down, I'll start a build thread.

Staar, I've checked out your site and threads here on propsummit -- awesome work on your SidKit. I may have to ping you when I start mine.

all the best
Greg
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megagreg wrote:
Score!

All Metal, Worldcon SidKit achieved! Thanks Bassnoir.

And thanks to all who gave advice and helped out (shout out to eltee).

So, right now I'm super busy with work, but when things settle down, I'll start a build thread.

Staar, I've checked out your site and threads here on propsummit -- awesome work on your SidKit. I may have to ping you when I start mine.

all the best
Greg

Congratulations mate - you won't regret your acquisition!

Let us know if we can help out in any way...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: