FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Interesting find in the parts bin.....your thoughts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Interesting find in the parts bin.....your thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi all--with the recent switch over to a primary focus on BR, I wanted to wait to join until I had something intersting to post---think this qualifies?

Cropped pics of the WorldCon blaster--the funky bolt/screw just forward of the bolt lever. Pics used with phase pistol's kind permission......

Pics of some thumbscrews I found while cleaning my greeble boxes.....

Thanks to Fried Mon Calamari for pic hosting! Smile

Definitely not an exact match, but very close in many ways! The only reference I have to the size is a very nasty eBay blaster--looke like a 3rd gen recast of a 3rd gen recast...white resin with the entire grip area cast in clear resin. My screws are close to the same size--can anyone with a better replica measure theirs?

The original almost looks homemade since the markings are fairly crude, but they're spaced very even & uniformly---5 knurls between each mark. Mine have more--2 have 41 knurls while the third has 43. Also, the ones I have are (I think) aluminum head and threads--looks like the real one might be steel.

Looking at the best straight-on pic, there's a slightly circular, irregular line on the face, almost like a stamping or engraving mark.

If the piece had the knurled head attached to a separate threaded piece (made from different alloys??) and was then ground smooth, it might look similar to that.

The 2 "sections" of the head are different sizes than the ones I found, but if the face was ground down, it would be thinner. Considering the knurling is fairly well done, it seems to me very odd that the marking are so crude, but at the same time very exact in the spacing.... Confused

Any thoughts or opinions are most welcome! Smile
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking along in a gunsmith mode, my first impression was a knurled knob for a rifle scope.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, given the spacing and such that's a definite possibility. I wondered about some sort of industrial adjustment piece.

The way the marks look is what really intrigues me--what I've seen of stamped metal, this looks rougher, almost like a chisel was used.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The markings look like it was used as an intex indicator on a lathe, especially the "zero" in the middle.

Rick
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, there's a thought! Considering every prop dept and gunsmith would most likely have at least one, it would stand to reason there might be extra/broken parts around.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i have seen the part somewhere before. My Grandfather had a lathe as well as a lot of guns. I will ask my Dad to see if he recognizes it.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doppelganger01 wrote:
The markings look like it was used as an intex indicator on a lathe, especially the "zero" in the middle.

Rick

Yep! betcha you are right. Probably off an attachment on a small metal lathe. Which makes perfect sense for gun guys to have. Especially when marrying parts of two guns to make a prop.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, I talked to my father and showed him the pics. His two comments were "It looks like an adjustment knob off an old rifle scope...and could be off of a lathe" He is going to my cousins house this weekend where my grandfather's lathe and milling machines are and he said he will look at them for me. On another note he told me my cousin isn't using the lathe and milling equipment my grandfather gave him. I may have to talk to them about aquiring them from him, but it will have to wait atleast untill I have a place to put them.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old rifle scope part does make more sense. I think your father might be right. A gunsmith would have a lot of old gun parts laying around, and would be more likely to use one of those.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my father said something that others have said without any prompting from me adds validity to it for sure. Something to look further into. From the allmost "handmade" quality it has it may be pretty vintage. Most scopes are made by optics companies and look pretty high tech and finely detailed. Some military stuff may be more "shop" quality and industrial looking.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintage Weaver 29S Special Rifle Scope...

I say case closed Very Happy

On a side note I noticed that the screws for many scope mounts looked like the previous"stunt prop" version of the part.

Last edited by andy on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Andy! I agree that's it. Cool.

Rick
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, you are the man!!! Awesome find
darthsnikelfritz
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You the man, andy. If we ever meet? , Ill buy you a six pack Very Happy . I'm not gonna even try on ebay. I hope someone plans to do a run? Please. Laughing
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Smile

The best part is is that my father thinks he might still have the scope. He will look for it when he gets back to Texas. He will send it to me if it is the right one.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I probably should have kept this info to myself, and maybe waited untill after I had aquired a few off of ebay first. I decided though that sharing the info was a better thing for the hobby in general. I also knew that I would stir up a fire storm at the RPF if I posted it there and that might have been a kind of trouble maker part of me that did that Twisted Evil....maybe I didn't think it through, but Oh well. I think Information is best free. I still did it in the spirit that Karl did it when he put up his pics of the hero blaster origionally and how greatfull I am for him doing that, I felt I owed it to him to put it out there.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the discovery andy!

Given the sheer number of jerks in the world, it's not too surprising how it ended up, so don't feel bad about posting your finds--you're not the one who contacted the seller and crapped on the parade. Confused

The pics I originally posted here were of thumbscrews from Graflite or Heiland flash reflectors--if those (in altered form) had been accurate, imagine how many people would be soiling themselves now for throwing the "extra" parts out after getting the flash gun itself for lightsabre conversions! Laughing
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! It's going to make you want to ID another mystery part!

Sharing makes the better person of you.

I think those scopes are relatively common. I don't think this will end up being the "Graflex flash" of BR!

Hope your dad has one. I've got a box of old scopes up in the attic. I'll check through them. You're welcome to one if I have it and i have several Weavers from 50's and 60's. Could be I might have one since the picture of the knob must have triggered an old memory somewhere to make me suggest scope in the first place.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read toothtechs post!

I can accept some people jumping on ebay to try and grab a scope right off the bat. But contacting the seller? What possible good does that do for anyone? Chances are the seller was going to be pretty pleased with the sale of his scope anyway... Evil or Very Mad
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't the one who contacted the seller. I have some clues, but I was hoping people on the RPF could play fair and work together. I knew they wouldn't be able to, but just hoped. I think the person who did tip off the seller was trying to get info themselves and the seller was wondering what the hell was going on with all the wierd inquiries about selling just the knobs were about. There are at least three of these particular scopes on ebay right now...so no I don't think they are so rare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: