FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Question: What would you want in a blaster replica?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Question: What would you want in a blaster replica? Reply with quote

I may make this into a poll later, but I want to know what people really want in a blaster replica? I know most would say Accuracy and Affordability, even though those tend to not come together. But, I also want to ask some more esoteric questions too. Like do you want something that is more like the movie prop itself, or something that looks more like a real gun would, and has all the details made original to conform with an idealized version of the gun? Do we want something that can be played with, and costumed with? A complex prop that conforms with the reality of the movie making process (i.e. a Coyle), or still keeps the fantasy of the movie reality alive? A simple prop that would look good on a shelf and not kill the wallet (i.e. a Rick Ross)? A kit, or a built-up? Something with custom grips and maybe even additional parts such as a silencer, scope/sight, Interchangeable parts? Functionality such as cap/blank firing and airsoft ability?

I hope we can all get creative with ideas and maybe influence the next generation of makers and their blaster replicas.

Andy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say accuracy, affordability, and durability. I wouldn't mind something that was constructed well enough that I didn't have to worry if someone casually handled the prop that it was going to be damaged.

Ultimately I think that most collectors want a balance between those elements. Naturally if you were to look at the more unrealistic levels, I could easily say I'd want a full metal replica with functions (triggers, leds, ect, ect) but that isn't really feasible under the three main criteria I use in collecting a prop. I don't think there is anyone on this board that wouldn't want a nice metal blaster constructed to standards like the Tomenosuke or a Coyle Worldcon or Sidkit that didn't break their bank account to acquire it.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Question: What would you want in a blaster replica? Reply with quote

Personally, I'm a sucker for the movie prop (surprise, surprise) but that said, I think what makes a blaster prop work for me is the fact that its first and foremost a piece of machinery - heavy, intricately built with hard sharp edges and functional bits and pieces. Just like a real weapon is.

In all reality, the acquisition of a heavy, full metal prop replica is not really practical for a lot of folks but I do think that a lighter version (fully articulated and fairly accurate) is something that would be of interest to people generally.

I'm not a dress-up guy at all and also I don't generally handle my props (other than to use them for studio reference) so for me, the issue of excessive handling is neither here or there.

Should there ever be a reasonably accurate version that offers say, a mainly aluminium frame with durable plastic add-ons that can easily be handled and not too easily broken, then I think there will be a LOT of really happy people out there.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord knows that we have already,on the market, various blasters from: "low-quality-mass-produced-I'll-spend-3 months-fixing-the-mistake-kinda-blaster" Shocked to the Tomenosuke (I'll sell a body part I don't need) and the Coyle (asking for a second mortgage).
Sooooooo, what I want in a blaster is a combination of accuracy (hard work to get there) but also quality parts I can play with (don't like the melting metal that much)...my 1 cent after taxes
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Question: What would you want in a blaster replica? Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I may make this into a poll later, but I want to know what people really want in a blaster replica? I know most would say Accuracy and Affordability, even though those tend to not come together. But, I also want to ask some more esoteric questions too. Like do you want something that is more like the movie prop itself, or something that looks more like a real gun would, and has all the details made original to conform with an idealized version of the gun? Do we want something that can be played with, and costumed with? A complex prop that conforms with the reality of the movie making process (i.e. a Coyle), or still keeps the fantasy of the movie reality alive? A simple prop that would look good on a shelf and not kill the wallet (i.e. a Rick Ross)? A kit, or a built-up? Something with custom grips and maybe even additional parts such as a silencer, scope/sight, Interchangeable parts? Functionality such as cap/blank firing and airsoft ability?

I hope we can all get creative with ideas and maybe influence the next generation of makers and their blaster replicas.

Andy

For me something as close to the movie prop as possible.
Also, more for display than to have a play with, although, i do like to handle my weapon (No pun intended)
I really do like the PKD aswell and Rick's other versions, like the Zhora version, are really a work of art.
So either something as close to the original as possible or something totally different, lol.

On a side note, anyone see that internet site (that was posted on the RPF) that lets you create a custom gun?
We need something like that for the Blade Runner blaster.
That would be amazing to have a play with.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Neil, I think it`s named the Blaster Builder? Would be fun
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few talks with Matsuo about possibly doing a cold cast aluminum version of the gun with metal parts (greeblies mostly) and interchangeable grips including possibly wood grain, and black rubber. The gun would be somewhere in between the complexity of a Stunt version and a Rick Ross PKD. If you have seen Matsuo's real gun casts he makes for museums you would know what I am talking about. Price would hopefully be well under $200. The main problem in doing it right now is in acquiring an accurate Steyr receiver to make the casts off of, as well as the bulldog. It would be durable, detail accurate, and inexpensive, but would not have any functionality beyond lights. What do you all think about something like that?

Andy
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I start I must say, I have a vested interest, as I am acting as Rich Coyle's agent for the 'All Metal' Worlcon Blaster for UK & Europe

I am also s SCI-FI fan , but I am also a 30 year prop builder ( not a professional like Rich, but an enthusiastic amateur) so as a fan, I agree completely with all of the comments made , but as a builder - - I have to ask myself what is the cost of developing a blaster that would fullfill all requirements ? and how many would/could I sell ?, the economic choice is resin cast, the most expensive metal cast and given that Tomenosuke make the most expensive metal , I would expect it to follow and be the most accurate.

Well what would it cost ? I will not go into complete detail but will quite approximate figures just so we can compare , well a basic set of molds say to produce a PKD replica type blaster would cost between £250 to £350 at today's prices - polyurathane resin about £26 a kilo you might get four blasters out of that , so I've got to make , assemble, paint and finish fifty (50) to break even .

Silicon for metal casting is a little more expensive and I need additional tools eg furnace etc, to handle it, so in our comparison we'll conservatively say £1000 aprox ,pewter is cheaper but soft so let's assume we're using White metal - that's appx £50 a kilo
again let's assume we get four blaster's, now I got to make a hundred (100) to break even.

Unless I can guarantee I'm going to make a hundred and sell each and every one it's just not worth it , in terms of time and effort . So if I sell less , I have to increase the base price to cover my overheads, just like any other business !!

So now I have to look at my sale price, resin is cheap and cheerful so say £50 to £100 for basic staightforward copy , I can do clever things to resin to make it look and behave like metal, I can even electroplate it ! but all that adds cost - so I could produce an accurate blaster and introduce it to the market but would anyone buy it ? I don't really know ??
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it is a steel Steyr receiver section that can be polished and blued to look like a real Steyr. I don't think that can be done with any of the pewter formulations, cold cast aluminum or even machined billet aluminum.

The rest is already out there, but can get very pricey. Trying the find the ultimate at an affordable price would be tough, IMHO, but I can dream.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, SO MUCH would be wonderful if one of the Japanese reproduction gun companies did a Charter Arms. Oh, imagine the possibilities of having a widely available, affordable, fully functioning manufactured replica Bulldog to build a blaster around.

Now, the real Charter Arms .44's are fairly inexpensive, but the legalities surrounding ownership of a real gun, even encased within a prop, can cause problems whereas a production made replica eliminates those problems.
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I have had a few talks with Matsuo about possibly doing a cold cast aluminum version of the gun with metal parts (greeblies mostly) and interchangeable grips including possibly wood grain, and black rubber. The gun would be somewhere in between the complexity of a Stunt version and a Rick Ross PKD. If you have seen Matsuo's real gun casts he makes for museums you would know what I am talking about. Price would hopefully be well under $200. The main problem in doing it right now is in acquiring an accurate Steyr receiver to make the casts off of, as well as the bulldog. It would be durable, detail accurate, and inexpensive, but would not have any functionality beyond lights. What do you all think about something like that?

Andy

I would be very interested in something like this.

I currently own a Coyle Worldcon and a Rick Ross PKD-I Reissue.

If you could take the best artistic and cost elements of both the Coyle and the Rick Ross PKD-I and have Matsuo work his magic on it for under $200, then there would definitely be a market.
Matsuo
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take, I think there are hero guns aplenty, so I'd really want to see a reasonably priced simplified resin stunt version using real steel parts as masters, not recasts or sculpts... Ergo this is why I havent done it ever because the Steyr is unobtainable for me.

In cold cast aluminum resin of course.

If I could take over the Doppelganger line and do it in AL resin, I would do it in a heartbeat.

M
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I like "your take" Matt....I believe there is a huge price gap in the "blaster" (dare I say) market....as much as we all want a Coyle or Tomenosuke...hell even a Hartford.... a lower priced (not cheap simply less EXPENSIVE) version would be so so welcome and ultimately EXPAND the Bladerunner and Propsummit universe....Andy's figure of keeping the cost at or under $200 is an excellent goal...to be honest...I can't imagine you keeping up with the demand...that being said....put me down for ONE....(smiling)
David
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Being an owner of many of your fine pieces, I fell you would do the blaster a great service by producing one. I can truly say that Matt's work is truly great and his craftmanship is fantastic.

On another note, has anyone heard from Rick Ross lately?

Matt, if you do this, count me in for a couple.

Tom
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Matt, I'm a taker if you do that kind of blaster for $200!...your work is always A+
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is cold cast aluminum?Is it resin or aluminum or a little of both?Forgive my ignorance.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eltee wrote:
I don't think that can be done with any of the pewter formulations, cold cast aluminum or even machined billet aluminum.

Certainly my thoughts would concur with this, but then in your experience have you any idea of what metal is used for the Denex firearm replicas Eltee? Its certainly an alloy and going by the tarnishing (the surface doesn't rust) its not clear steel.

I used Blue Wonder on a Denex 1911 after stripping it down and it came up with a perfect deep blue finish - dark and rich.

I weathered it slightly to match my real 1911 also with Pachmayr grips

Any thoughts???

Matsuo
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold casting is a term applied to a variety of casting methods but in this instance we mix a super fine grade AL powder in with the resin as well as dust the molds themselves with AL powder. What you get is a fine mil of AL on the surface which can be buffed to a metallic sheen, as well as metallic particulates in the resin that add weight.

M
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a late email reply from Rick Ross about a week ago, but haven't been able to talk to him much. He is alive and mostly well, but taking care of family issues. I may have to try and bug him a little more, but I feel bad bothering him right now.

Andy
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for explaining. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: