FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
NEW CS&T Blaster by Richard Coyle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do not know what to say to you.

“and still when you pull that trigger it has this horrible feeling that the entire model is about to snap from the stress. The assembly is still 'creaky,”

On one hand you find fault with my not being totally accurate and on the other fuss about it being creaky, which IF IT IS BECAUSE I make exact copies of the REAL GUN PARTS and what was steel will be a little creaky in plastic. IN PLASTIC….

And as creaky as they may be, I have had none broken by pulling the working trigger, the front dummy trigger yes, but NONE BY THE WORKING TRIGGER.

“you still have not improved on your fundamentals of prop replica making-
If I were the owner of the actual piece who allowed you to hold the piece and take measurements in good faith and you turned around and mass produced a piece dispute my objections, then I would be 'upset'."

They let everyone who asked, hold it, and take pictures, why are you not busting Monsters in Motion for not retooling their model and getting it right, (they were right there taking their own pictures) or Sidkits for the same? (I am sure someone gave him a set..if he did not grab them off the RPF first thing.)

And all we did was take pictures; as I have a real Styer and Bulldog I never felt I needed to gauge it.

This is impossible to fix. I make as accurate as I can copy of the model, I have busted my ass doing them and it an’t good enough for you.

So I am the one glad to have dodged the bullet of your buying one.

“If I were one of these good hard working people who paid approximately $500 for a Coyle and found out that the casting, paint-up etc. was being worked on by a 'helper' and not Coyle, then I would be 'upset'.”

And as I have a helper or helpers do not distract from it being my designed model, master made by me, molds made by me and having a little help/work under my supervision. It still a Coyle.

Does Ford make his cars himself?? Still a Ford.

Oh by the way I don’t make the screws either. And my wife does a lot of my parts runs so I don't PERSONLY pick up all the parts, and OH GOD NO... she does all the mailing too....

Do you make ANYTHING??? Or just sit and pass judgment on other’s months of killer hard work??

I find it very easy to overtake and past another car on the road and harder to keep him from overtaking me right back.

It is easy to find fault, show me some of your work so I can return the favor.

And why do you even show up and commit at all?? As you say, not a customer and never will be one, so why do/say anything??

Upset?? You sure sound very disappointed and fearful of a new upcoming model, Good God how do you buy anything?

I bought a HP Computer a couple of months ago, and when back to the stores (Frys) to buy memory and was told they no longer carry it as it is obsolete, Dude I bought a brand new computer that was obsolete as I carried it out the door talk about new models….

Did you buy a Ford Mustang and the next year they came out with the great recreation of the Classic Mustang??? The one everyone loves. That must hurt, $30,000.00 + car and you got the wrong one.

Now that is stuff to be upset about.

Sure, all this fuss over a model you will never buy, sure sounds a lot like it like a jilted lover.

By the way the all metal model will not feel creaky.

ALSO I do not call it the Ultimate model I am calling it my superdetailed model.

And any changes and improvements I might make will fit and be offered to customers as upgrades if they want them.

There maybe small refinements, but no major new upcoming model.

And again I did not cause all those changes, they were done in response to people like your self pointing out things I may have wrong or new discoveries we all have made, like this real prop showing up after 24 years.

I think you should say good job Rich for even trying to make it better and more accurate and for being willing to offer each their own chores of what they feel is the right prop.

I don't see anyone else doing this kind of thing, or work.

Rich
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Coyle manifesto, does this mean I will also be receiving 15 emails tonight of your rants like the last time I was candid with you?

"On what hand you find fault with my not being totally accurate and on the other fuss about it being creaky, which IF IT IS BECAUSE I make exact copies of the REAL GUN PARTS and what was steel will be a little creaky in plastic. IN PLASTIC…."

No Rich, it is creaky because of your inability to assemble a solid replica. I have owned several pieces built off of a real weapon and your 'explanation' does not hold water, these pieces have been solid and not creaky.

On similar note, I have seen people modify their 'Coyle's' and made them into a solid, non-creaky, halfway decent replica. Plastic is not to blame.

"And as creaky as they may be, I have had none broken by pulling the working trigger, the front dummy trigger yes, but NONE BY THE WORKING TRIGGER."

Great, then others received second rate parts that snapped, and yes, it was the working trigger and yes, there are individuals that this has happened to.

"they let everyone who asked, hold it, and take pictures, why are you not busting Monsters in Motion for not retooling theis model and getting it right, or Sidkits for the same?"

I have critiqued the others, not my fault that you didn't see those posts. It is nice to hear though that both MIM and Sid are going to be offering new kits soon which will strive to be more accurate though.

"And all we did was take pictures; as I have a real Styer and Bulldog I never felt I needed to gauge it."

I fail to see your point.

"This is impossible to fix. I make as accurate as I can copy of the model, I have busted my ass doing them and it an’t good enough for you."

"And as I have a helper or helpers do not distract from it being my designed model, master made by me, molds made by me and having a little help/work under my supervision. It still a Coyle."

Does Ford make his cars himself?? Still a Ford."

Well Ford is dead, so I don't think he makes cars himself anymore. Additionally Ford created the assembly line for mass production. With art pieces, and that is the rate you are charging, I expect the artist to work on the piece, not some guy with Narcolepsy issues.

"Oh by the way I don’t make the screws either. And my wife does a lot of my parts runs so I don't PERSONLY pick up all the parts, and OH GOD NO... she does all the mailing too.... "

You are very entertaining at times Rich.

"Do you make ANYTHING??? Or just sit and pass judgment on other’s months of killer hard work??"

Yes I do make my own pieces and here is some friendly advice, when criticism is given, take is like a man.

"I find it very easy to overtake and past another car on the road and harder to keep him from overtaking me right back."

I have no idea what this means.

"And why do you even show up and commit at all?? As you say, not a customer and never will be one, so why do/say anything??"

Because I do enjoy this piece quite a bit, and I have issues with the idea that you are creating the 'ultimate' accurate piece, I feel that is misleading. Call it a deluxe PKD, but I would not call it the 'ultimate' and no this is not semantics.

"Upset?? You sure sound very disappointed and fearful of a new upcoming model, Good God how do you buy anything?"

You are funny person. You would like to characterize my criticism to something simplistic, I will not fault you for this as it may be the extent of your comprehension of discourse.

"I bought a HP Computer a couple of months ago, and when back to the stores (Frys) to buy memory and was told they no longer carry it as it is obsolete, Dude I bought a brand new computer that was obsolete as I carried it out the door talk about new models….

Did you buy a Ford Mustang and the next year they came out with the great recreation of the Classic Mustang??? The one everyone loves. That must hurt, $30,000.00 + car and you got the wrong one."

Can I get back to you on this one as I do not have a Coyle to English dictionary with me and I really have no idea what you are talking about.

"By the way the all metal model will not feel creaky.

ALSO I do not call it the Ultimate model I am calling it my superdetailed model."

There you go again. For double the price you will promise potential customers a non-creaky piece, thus acknowledging again your own shortcomings in construction, I appreciate the honesty.

-Bryan
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I thought it was a missunderstanding.

And tried to clear it up.

Now I know it was not.

So no more responces from me.

I now know what I am talking with and I see no reason to do so any more.

Rich
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a reply to a certain person, but is intended for any other interested reader. To those that might be misled by the exchange within these pages.

I have been making props, for the Studios and collector for about 30 years.

My work has stood up to the rigors of movie and TV show work, and some of my models are still being rented and used up to this day.

I know what I am doing.

I have been making the C&S blaster for about 8 years.

And yes it has gone though a few changes, improvements, think of the VW Bug.

And no one, other than a couple of hecklers who have not even bought from me, no one I know of have complained about breakage and creakiness.

This model is not intended to be used as a real stunt model, so I do know of a couple of people who have given it rough handling and as it is a made of many parts, have worked things loose, and have even broken the model. Mistreat any thing and you will have problems.

I have only heard of such problems from one or two people in the years I have been making this model.

And to such persons, the kind that break all their toys, if it was made of steel, they would find a way to break it.

If there was such a major flaw you would think others would have complained to me, or to everyone on the boards.

And I offer some of the best service in this hobby, and only see a very few models sent back for repairs, repairs almost always caused by owner and friends mishandling. All repaired at either at no costs or very reasonable costs.

If I have a personal flaw, it is I try too hard.

I have tried to work with even hecklers who seem to have real concerns and complaints, such as the exchange done here.

To me it seemed, at first, that he had a real concern. I tried to deal with that.

His last reply showed that no matter what I say, he will only twist it around and try to use it against me.

As far as I know there is no real truth to his complaints.

As far as I know, only he is upset by my efforts to bring to you, the real fans, the best, the most accurate model I can make.

Richard Coyle
airhead
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suppose that this is a discussion about the new Coyle model blaster. As a customer or Rich's, a repeat customer, and a customer of some of the other fine prop-makers bouncing around out there, I don't mind chiming back in with a word for them what chooses to buy props, particularly from RAC. I don't want to get into a "philosophical" debate about who's better, or bigger, or whatever, but my appreciation of what Rich has done still stands. The paint techniques are more to my liking on this new model than the earlier versions. The details are certainly as close as anything has ever been to the hero prop. All that almost all of us have to go on for comparison are Karl's WC photos, and having the new model in my hands allows me to pick at the similarities and diffences.

I don't keep these things in a hermetically sealed case (although I suppose that I should), but don't exactly throw them around, either. No replicas will be the "real" prop, and there's darn few folks around who will ever actually own the real thing. Not to get into a "why do people want to collect/build props, or why do people want to collect anything" discussions, we wouldn't be here if we weren't interested in the tangeble parts of movies that we enjoy. I appreciate the time and effort that others put into building replicas, after having spent hours myself trying to get that last detail "right". I have found that Rich is open to constructive critisism about his work, and I understand the need to voice opposing points of view on anything, but if you don't want to buy something - for what ever reason: cost; quality; purely personnal; whatever; then don't buy it. I do find that I have been helped more by reviews pointing out first-hand problems with a product when better alternatives are compared or recommended.

So, for the momemt, I couldn't find a better, closer replica of the WC hero prop out there.

airhead
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different strokes is really what this boils down to. And I don't mean Gary Coleman. Smile

I was given a Coyle V3 as a birthday gift years ago, and to this day it is cherished and appreciated as given, from one friend to another. Later I purchased a v4.something or other directly from Rich, and again, it's a cherished part of my collection. I know they are "creaky" and fragile.

The V3 was dropped by a friend once and broke. He fixed it, and I did a repaint/weathering to help cover the cracks up. I just consider it part of the character of the piece. I'm planning a second repaint very soon actually.

The V4 battery compartment broke on it's own one day, I emailed Rich, he offered to install a new one free of charge, I decided to just fix it on my own, but Rich is quick with emails and in no way ignored me, or tried to get me to pay for anything. But I wasn't angry either, it was just a "matter of fact" situation. In my experience Rich tends to reply in kind with whatever tone or intention he feels you are directing at him. I can understand that.

Rich and I haven't always gotten along on the boards, no big secret there. Our personal feelings aside, I do appreciate his work (I remember Ice Pirates) and I know he can always use my $500 for his kit. It's business, but it's also more than that. It's a transaction based on mutual enjoyment of Blade Runner.

Anyway, getting back to my point, you know what you are getting with Rich's Blade Runner guns if you order the plastic model. It's not something you hand to a 4 year old. It's not something you hand to a novice prop person without some "handling" instructions, so to speak.

But if you do, YES, people tend to immediately hand it back not wanting to break it. These guns do feel fragile, and to some extent they are.

I used both of these Coyles, along with my solid resin, and hero firing hartford models on our fan film, and they all survived the experience just fine because you have to be responsible with them, like anything else.

Bryan, I understand your points. I agree with some of them even, but Rich makes what he makes, he sells them for what he sells them for. Take it or leave it, you know what you're getting. In fact, I'm planning on buying a new model from Rich. If I felt I needed to strengthen the model, or make it not creaky, I certainly would. But it's going from the box to the shelf more or less.

An added note, I just got my kit from Rick Ross for a PKD snubby. This model, while being 90% solid resin is also very fragile. These things are what they are. I'm not buying a ford, I'm buying a plastic 1:1 model kit of a ford, and yeah, it's fragile. But it looks good in the driveway.

so to speak.

The blasters don't creak displayed under glass, in a shadowbox, or on the shelf!
sycor
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, Can you check your PMs or your email? Thanks.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Noland, for this post, where did we not get along, you seem like a great guy….

You see I do understand about the looseness, I have a fair number of real shooters (Thieves beware) so can feel the difference between an recreation and a real gun, heck even the All Metal Denex guns feel toy like. (Nothing beats a real Gun in your hand)

And it is wonderful how you can even feel a great gun from a so so gun…and I have shot many a load though many of them (Again thieves beware I am also a good shot, and can hit a target out to my front fence) and our 6 inch Smith and Western Model J is a great gun, super smooth trigger, I swear I can feel the point right before it is going to drop that hammer…in double action.

So understand how one can “feel” these things.

But it is a subtle thing, and others may not even feel it at all.

Rich
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: feel and sound Reply with quote

Yes I know somebody that can "feel " sick whenever a door locks behind him ....lol
keep the discharge legal huh? lol

Last edited by IGNITERS on Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:28 am; edited 2 times in total
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Richs work is pretty much as good as it gets.People have choices on where they get their blasters so to all those who make a free choice on this matter please respect the people who want this item and the person who made it as they respect your choice to buy your blaster from whom you want to buy it from.Thanks
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This is not a reply to a certain person, but is intended for any other
interested reader. To those that might be misled by the exchange within
these pages. "

No need to be coy Rich, you address me several times in this post, anyone reading that statement can see it is false. I have never misled anyone in my statements and an open dialog about this piece should be encouraged, as you are the ultimate benefactor of such feedback. If you do not want feedback, do not visit the prop boards, as the purpose of these communities are to grow as artists.

"I have been making props, for the Studios and collector for about 30 years."

Yes Rich, we have heard this line for a very long time.

"And no one, other than a couple of hecklers who have not even bought from
me, no one I know of have complained about breakage and creakiness."

Again, you would like to reduce my legitimate comments down to something way too basic, I give you an honest critique of your work and you would disregard my feedback by calling me a 'heckler,' well you are incorrect. I am a non-aligned individual, and you have accused me several times via email and on posts of being part of some ‘conspiracy’, which is both paranoid and again simplistic.

I have seen a compilation of your work over the years, some good, but some bad, maybe I am the only one who is willing to mention it because I do not treat you like some sacred cow. I have held several C&S's over the years and they all have the same creaky feeling to them, heck some of them the paint feels tacky (I can not even explain that). However I have seen several C&S's where people have taken them apart, given them a decent paint job, tighten some of the pieces, reworked a few parts, some were forced to epoxy a few pieces to make the gun more solid and overall they now have a decent piece. A friend of mine who has a C&S has a loose piece and although you have offered to fix it, I say maybe such defects should not have shipped in the first place.

My critiques are direct, maybe you are just not used to that. My issue is that if you have been promoting your piece as the ‘ultimate’, which is what you have called it. I contend that it should be more accurate after you spent all of those months working on it and having had access to the best reference material. The expectation level of the discerning collector was a little higher, especially since you "know what you are doing."

If anyone has any questions about my motivations they only need to look where I am posting, I love Blade Runner, I love the prop community and collecting, and I am sorry if Rich can not handle what originally started out as a simple critiques, but read through the piece as dispassionately as it was delivered. There is no reading between the lines with me, what I say is what I mean, and nothing more.

"This model is not intended to be used as a real stunt model, so I do know of
a couple of people who have given it rough handling and as it is a made of
many parts, have worked things loose, and have even broken the model.
Mistreat any thing and you will have problems."

I never said that this rendition was a stunt model; I have said that your pieces are supposed to be pieces of art, but that doesn’t mean that they should be any less sturdy.

"And to such persons, the kind that break all their toys, if it was made of
steel, they would find a way to break it."

So now you are attacking your customers who have had issues with your product and have either approached you, improved the piece on their own, or sold the piece? You do not have to do that Rich, I mentioned these issues to help you, not upset people who have had problems with your pieces.

"If there was such a major flaw you would think others would have complained
to me, or to everyone on the boards."

My personal thoughts on this are that people have been overly kind to you through the years as we have all heard about this being your livelihood, your only source of income since leaving Hollywood in the 80's. Additionally, the Viacom lawsuit in the 90's never hurt you, it created the sacred cow image that you yourself have bought into and perpetuated over the years and it is my opinion that people can be intimidated by perception, otherwise the feedback I have given over the past few months (even ways of maximizing your profit via posts and email) would have been given to you years ago.

"I have tried to work with even hecklers who seem to have real concerns and
complaints, such as the exchange done here."

Actually you have not, you have consistently discounted my opinions and called me a 'heckler.' I guess everyone who offers an opposing viewpoint is simply a 'heckler.' Was I a 'heckler' last year when I mentioned that your paint job with the metal flakes in it could be improved to make the finish more realistic (and this was C&S 4.Cool, was I a 'heckler' when I suggested means of improving the quality control of your pieces, was I a 'heckler' when I offered ways of maximizing profit (heck I had means of finding you venture capitalists if YOU were interested)? Your definition and mine of ‘heckler’ are indeed very different.

You call me a 'heckler' because I disagreed with your fundamental argument about the Tate pictures, and I disagree with the means you are producing this because you violated the good faith of the owner. You call me a 'heckler' because even when I disagree with you on the points above, I knew you would continue with this run and I offer you ways of improving process and product, I do not understand how that is called a 'heckler.'

"To me it seemed, at first, that he had a real concern. I tried to deal with
that."

You brought this upon yourself Rich, you quoted me from another board and thought that it was permissible to characterize my statements. My words speak for themselves; I have no ulterior motive except to appeal to your nature as an artist to improve your product.

Maybe the artist is truly dead, and all that remains is a profiteer.

"His last reply showed that no matter what I say, he will only twist it
around and try to use it against me."

I have twisted nothing Rich, I have taken you at face value, quoting your words and offering you a response. Any shortcomings in expressing yourself through prose are your fault, not mine.

"As far as I know there is no real truth to his complaints."

Again, you attempt to discredit me for my opinion. I have offered you a blunt and objective review of your piece, I have addressed issues with your piece, and it is not my fault that you cannot take criticism. You could just say thank you and move on, but you have consistently perpetuated this dialog.

When criticism is given (like I have said before), take it like a man and stop whining. You still have potential Rich, but you squander it by attacking those who offer you their opinions, not to 'bother' you, but to help you.

-Bryan
terminator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont normally comment on these kind of threads but i feel someone needs to say something in support of Rich who i have known for a years! i know him as a friend not someone that just takes!
This guys level of perfection with props is unmatched as far as iam concerned any flaws you find are usually reference issues rather than poor workmanship i do not think anyone could spend so much of there lives on a project and not feel personally involved and insulted by ingnorant comments.
Give the guy a break he is a trustworthy reliable founder member of the prop community !
and yes he is a mate and iam biased Smile

bbabich wrote:
"This is not a reply to a certain person, but is intended for any other
interested reader. To those that might be misled by the exchange within
these pages. "

No need to be coy Rich, you address me several times in this post, anyone reading that statement can see it is false. I have never misled anyone in my statements and an open dialog about this piece should be encouraged, as you are the ultimate benefactor of such feedback. If you do not want feedback, do not visit the prop boards, as the purpose of these communities are to grow as artists.

"I have been making props, for the Studios and collector for about 30 years."

Yes Rich, we have heard this line for a very long time.

"And no one, other than a couple of hecklers who have not even bought from
me, no one I know of have complained about breakage and creakiness."

Again, you would like to reduce my legitimate comments down to something way too basic, I give you an honest critique of your work and you would disregard my feedback by calling me a 'heckler,' well you are incorrect. I am a non-aligned individual, and you have accused me several times via email and on posts of being part of some ‘conspiracy’, which is both paranoid and again simplistic.

I have seen a compilation of your work over the years, some good, but some bad, maybe I am the only one who is willing to mention it because I do not treat you like some sacred cow. I have held several C&S's over the years and they all have the same creaky feeling to them, heck some of them the paint feels tacky (I can not even explain that). However I have seen several C&S's where people have taken them apart, given them a decent paint job, tighten some of the pieces, reworked a few parts, some were forced to epoxy a few pieces to make the gun more solid and overall they now have a decent piece. A friend of mine who has a C&S has a loose piece and although you have offered to fix it, I say maybe such defects should not have shipped in the first place.

My critiques are direct, maybe you are just not used to that. My issue is that if you have been promoting your piece as the ‘ultimate’, which is what you have called it. I contend that it should be more accurate after you spent all of those months working on it and having had access to the best reference material. The expectation level of the discerning collector was a little higher, especially since you "know what you are doing."

If anyone has any questions about my motivations they only need to look where I am posting, I love Blade Runner, I love the prop community and collecting, and I am sorry if Rich can not handle what originally started out as a simple critiques, but read through the piece as dispassionately as it was delivered. There is no reading between the lines with me, what I say is what I mean, and nothing more.

"This model is not intended to be used as a real stunt model, so I do know of
a couple of people who have given it rough handling and as it is a made of
many parts, have worked things loose, and have even broken the model.
Mistreat any thing and you will have problems."

I never said that this rendition was a stunt model; I have said that your pieces are supposed to be pieces of art, but that doesn’t mean that they should be any less sturdy.

"And to such persons, the kind that break all their toys, if it was made of
steel, they would find a way to break it."

So now you are attacking your customers who have had issues with your product and have either approached you, improved the piece on their own, or sold the piece? You do not have to do that Rich, I mentioned these issues to help you, not upset people who have had problems with your pieces.

"If there was such a major flaw you would think others would have complained
to me, or to everyone on the boards."

My personal thoughts on this are that people have been overly kind to you through the years as we have all heard about this being your livelihood, your only source of income since leaving Hollywood in the 80's. Additionally, the Viacom lawsuit in the 90's never hurt you, it created the sacred cow image that you yourself have bought into and perpetuated over the years and it is my opinion that people can be intimidated by perception, otherwise the feedback I have given over the past few months (even ways of maximizing your profit via posts and email) would have been given to you years ago.

"I have tried to work with even hecklers who seem to have real concerns and
complaints, such as the exchange done here."

Actually you have not, you have consistently discounted my opinions and called me a 'heckler.' I guess everyone who offers an opposing viewpoint is simply a 'heckler.' Was I a 'heckler' last year when I mentioned that your paint job with the metal flakes in it could be improved to make the finish more realistic (and this was C&S 4.Cool, was I a 'heckler' when I suggested means of improving the quality control of your pieces, was I a 'heckler' when I offered ways of maximizing profit (heck I had means of finding you venture capitalists if YOU were interested)? Your definition and mine of ‘heckler’ are indeed very different.

You call me a 'heckler' because I disagreed with your fundamental argument about the Tate pictures, and I disagree with the means you are producing this because you violated the good faith of the owner. You call me a 'heckler' because even when I disagree with you on the points above, I knew you would continue with this run and I offer you ways of improving process and product, I do not understand how that is called a 'heckler.'

"To me it seemed, at first, that he had a real concern. I tried to deal with
that."

You brought this upon yourself Rich, you quoted me from another board and thought that it was permissible to characterize my statements. My words speak for themselves; I have no ulterior motive except to appeal to your nature as an artist to improve your product.

Maybe the artist is truly dead, and all that remains is a profiteer.

"His last reply showed that no matter what I say, he will only twist it
around and try to use it against me."

I have twisted nothing Rich, I have taken you at face value, quoting your words and offering you a response. Any shortcomings in expressing yourself through prose are your fault, not mine.

"As far as I know there is no real truth to his complaints."

Again, you attempt to discredit me for my opinion. I have offered you a blunt and objective review of your piece, I have addressed issues with your piece, and it is not my fault that you cannot take criticism. You could just say thank you and move on, but you have consistently perpetuated this dialog.

When criticism is given (like I have said before), take it like a man and stop whining. You still have potential Rich, but you squander it by attacking those who offer you their opinions, not to 'bother' you, but to help you.

-Bryan
airhead
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v had some pm traffic with Rich on the new model about some of the differences that I think I am seeing between this and the WC photos. It really helps to have an example in my hands. I can turn it around to approximate the camera angles that Karl used. While there are differences, some small but noticible, others very subtle, the overall effect that I come away with is how close this model is to the"real" thing. I feel a little odd pointing out what I think are places where he "got it wrong", but he has encouraged me to detail what I am seeing.

I still can find nothing to prevent me from recommending dealing with Rich on this or other items that he may offer. It's a matter of personal justification for the purchase and you can only base it on what you can find out about the item or seller and how may meals you want to skip (things done well are seldom cheap). So I've been trying to offer a first-hand opinion of the new blaster and my experience with Rich.

And again, any of you other new model owners, post some shots!

airhead
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the Karl Tate shots, Rich brought his own camera and was able to shoot the angles he needed and take measurements. Perhaps Rich will compare photos of his new version with the photos he took himself since his photographic perspective was for recreating the gun whereas Mr. Tate's may have been just a series of photographs without the engineering/reverse engineering interest.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, my digital camara was no way as good as Karl's and I totally blew the film camara, having not used it for years.

So if not for Karl we would not have any good photos of the gun.

I was a good hand model holding it for some shots.

So there are no other photos other than Monsters in Motion whom took a bunch them selfs.

Perhaps if we ask real nice....

Rich
airhead
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I'd like to second the nod to KT for those pictures, they are excellent! I don't want to get off-topic, but what kind of camera did you use, Karl?

I remember the discussion on the RPF about the details that you can't see from the pictures and the thread over here about cartridges got me wondering - did you try the cylinder release? Rich, you had speculated about whether the cylinder swings out, like the new model, or is held in place with the cover, like your old model.

And there was some excellent comparitive work on trying to id the metal for the buttplate, but I don't remember (and with a dial-up, I can't take a week to go back through the thread over there), did you chime in with your opinion of what metal that thing is made from. I still like aluminum, from the point of view of the propmaker, since it is much easier to work. It would also have picked up the edge wear that I think I'm seeing, and the scratches, more so than the harder metals suggested. Just wondering if it "felt" like aluminum when you touched it.

And I've got to ask this, since I must admit that if I grab a resin model by the grip and barrel and flex it back and forth, they all do "creak" a bit, did the hero have anything that felt "loose" or, like you said, did it feel like a real gun in your hand. The bolt lever on most bolt actions have a certain spring-like feel when you lift the lever to retract the bolt. Could you tell if this section had been gutted to the point that it no longer had the original "feel" when you worked the bolt.

It must be pretty heavy, too.

airhead
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl is a photographer, so he had a great camera.

“I remember the discussion on the RPF about the details that you can't see from the pictures and the thread over here about cartridges got me wondering - did you try the cylinder release? Rich, you had speculated about whether the cylinder swings out, like the new model, or is held in place with the cover, like your old model.”

I did not, we felt we should not do anything but take pictures. Nor did we turn on the switch not dry fire neither nor open the ammo clip.

One reason was we were not being shown the prop by its owner, but by his friend, so we did not want to cause any problems for his kindness.

And it was chambered for 44s.

“And there was some excellent comparative work on trying to id the metal for the buttplate, but I don't remember (and with a dial-up, I can't take a week to go back through the thread over there), did you chime in with your opinion of what metal that thing is made from. I still like aluminum, from the point of view of the propmaker, since it is much easier to work. It would also have picked up the edge wear that I think I'm seeing, and the scratches, more so than the harder metals suggested. Just wondering if it "felt" like aluminum when you touched it.”

Well it looked and felt like aluminum to me and add in it is NOT rusting even when the screws inside it are, so I say aluminum.

“And I've got to ask this, since I must admit that if I grab a resin model by the grip and barrel and flex it back and forth, they all do "creak" a bit, did the hero have anything that felt "loose" or, like you said, did it feel like a real gun in your hand. “

Glad you asked that, my mission was and is to make a totally faithful recreation of the real prop as possible, INSIDE as well as outside.

SO I do not glue the Bulldog to the pistol frame, nor do I glue the Styer receiver to the barrel or to the Bulldog’s frame.

I bolted them together, with screws, in the same fashion I believed them to have been/could have been done on the earlier models.

With the current model I copy the real gun so accurately I am buying screws from Charter Arms to put the model together in the exactly same and correct way.

So all these models can be taken apart just like the real gun. And put back together as well.

Service is also easier; part replacement when and if ever needed is easier. More like a real gun take apart and replace any broken parts. (this is a rare thing)

But with so many parts held together with screws you can flex it some and get a little creakiness. This is also a fault of plastic, it gives a little. Screws can only be tighten so much.

The metal models do not have this problem, screws fit tighter and hold better and the metal does not flex.

“The bolt lever on most bolt actions have a certain spring-like feel when you lift the lever to retract the bolt. Could you tell if this section had been gutted to the point that it no longer had the original "feel" when you worked the bolt?”

Gutted, in fact as we were not trying to do anything but take pictures, as I was turning the gun over once, the cocking lever just fell open, it was that loose.

So that was when I found out that the bolt was only a ½ bar inside and that it only pulled back a little and that it retracted the pin in front as well.

I also found out the bolt was attached to the cocking lever, so it turned with the lever.

On a real Styer the bolt does not turn, it stays in place and the cocking lever turns ON the bolt, so this was a big change from stock.

I figured out it was turning on the front pin in front and on the screw in the rear cap.

I also saw that the “extra” screw in the side of the Styer receiver (one that is NOT on a real Styer so is an extra) was a travel stop, it controlled the range of travel of the bolt.

This is an extra screw which I had thought was there to hold the rear cap in place, as I had figured that even as I made a fully traveling working bolt, this may not be what/how it worked in the real prop.

I thought that all the real prop could do was swing open and out just the cocking lever, that is was just floating in the Styer receiver and not working in any way.

I was close; this extra screw does stop the rear cap. And the bolt partly works.

The new models all have that the real bolt recreated and have the same action.

And if you look at the rear cap you will see a near accurate recreation of the real Styer cap, I had filed my version in the early models, (for my fully working bolt) but as you can see how hollow the rear cap really is in some pictures, I redid this as well.

To faithful recreate this model I basely threw out all the old masters models and molds and started over, and I could use no short cuts, if it was in the pictures I tried to make sure it would be on and in this new model.

“It must be pretty heavy, too.”

Well there is two steel guns so yes it is heavy, I think my metal model comes very close.

Rich
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now for an ALTERNATE opinion about the C,S&T Blaster, follow this link:
http://nopeek.tripod.com/bitten/id79.html

Thanks Amish!

---Paul E. Smith
www.once-bitten.com
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Paul. This forum is open to all opinions and the more we learn from everyone, the better things improve.

I hope all people realize that people may have different opinions and I for one am all for knowing what people think. Personally, I like to know all aspects of things I am interested in, especially when I am spending money.

Maybe you and Rich can work out your problems and come to an agreement.

Unfortunately, I cannot give an accurate opinion on the CS&T Blaster as I do not own one. So, I just read what others write here to make a determination to spend money or not.

Oh, welcome to the forum!

Tom
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I'd like to say welcome to the boards as well, but I have a feeling you're only here to go after Rich, and not to enjoy the community as a whole. Otherwise, I feel your first post may have been something other than a link to an outside website that flashed 5 pop-ups onto my computer, even though I use a pop-up blocker.

You complained about Rich not sending anything along with the blaster, no thank you, no "fanfare" and this article is how you have introduced yourself to us, which is by your own addmission:

Quote:
This ranting review(article) is childish, silly, rambling and not well written.

Not the greatest first impression ever. Just sayin.

Njc------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: